Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Strange behavior in Crystal? - Page 1

Strange behavior in Crystal?

Posted by: HorizonGirl
Date: 2012-01-22 20:31:11
Hello everyone!! How have you all been?

I know I have been out of the game for many years, but recently my interest in Pokemon (especially glitches) re-ignited when I remembered something that I have never been able to explain.

So back in 2003, I had a copy of Crystal version I purchased used from a reputable electronics store, and a GBA and Red version bought new. At the time, I was doing a lot of experimenting with glitches on my Red version. After the first time I went to Glitch City, something strange began to happen. When I would access Glitch City, and if I went too far and caused the game to freeze, and played Crystal immediately afterward, Crystal would then freeze after taking approximately two or three steps. If I encountered a wild Pokemon before taking any steps Eg. talking to Snorlax in Vermilion City, it would freeze just before the Pokemon would say its cry. This is not a coincidence, as this has happened upward of six times before I stopped, as I became uncomfortable with the possible damage to my Crystal version.

My question is, how is Crystal "remembering" my going to Glitch City in Red, and how, exactly did this happen? I apologize that I don't know more about how the actual GBA works, or if there's an obvious answer I'm missing, but it's just been bothering me for years!

If any more information is needed, just let me know.

Thank you for any responses.  :D

Re: Strange behavior in Crystal?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-01-22 21:35:09

Hello everyone!! How have you all been?

I know I have been out of the game for many years, but recently my interest in Pokemon (especially glitches) re-ignited when I remembered something that I have never been able to explain.

So back in 2003, I had a copy of Crystal version I purchased used from a reputable electronics store, and a GBA and Red version bought new. At the time, I was doing a lot of experimenting with glitches on my Red version. After the first time I went to Glitch City, something strange began to happen. When I would access Glitch City, and if I went too far and caused the game to freeze, and played Crystal immediately afterward, Crystal would then freeze after taking approximately two or three steps. If I encountered a wild Pokemon before taking any steps Eg. talking to Snorlax in Vermilion City, it would freeze just before the Pokemon would say its cry. This is not a coincidence, as this has happened upward of six times before I stopped, as I became uncomfortable with the possible damage to my Crystal version.

My question is, how is Crystal "remembering" my going to Glitch City in Red, and how, exactly did this happen? I apologize that I don't know more about how the actual GBA works, or if there's an obvious answer I'm missing, but it's just been bothering me for years!

If any more information is needed, just let me know.

Thank you for any responses.  :D

The two games shouldn't be "remembering" what either did.  The internal RAM is cleared each time the power is turned off.  It could be that your copy of Crystal is damaged, not inserted properly, or was bumped during gameplay as that will effect how the GBA reads data.

Re: Strange behavior in Crystal?

Posted by: HorizonGirl
Date: 2012-01-22 21:45:12
That's what I was thinking.. From what I understand, that should be impossible. I'm thinking the only possible explanation would have to do with something that happened to my Crystal before I bought it. But I just thought I'd ask in case there was some other possibility I was missing. Thanks.  :)