Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Crystal Wild Shiny Chance - Page 1

Pokemon Crystal Wild Shiny Chance

Posted by: Crystalame
Date: 2014-01-24 01:52:37
Hi, my apologies if this is in the wrong place or has been discussed before. I'm not actually sure whether or not this is truly a glitch but since every other percentage before XY was 1/8192 I figured it may be appropriate to post it in the glitch section.

Recently I stumbled upon a FAQ (here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gbc/375087-pokemon-crystal-version/faqs/10977) that claims that the chance of encountering a shiny Pokemon in the wild in Crystal is 1/4096. Since it's a pretty long FAQ, I will post exactly what it says:

… NOTE: The odds of finding a shiny in the wild is 16:65536, or 1:4096

Has anyone else ever heard anything about this? I have heard people mention that it seems shinies are slightly more common in Crystal but never anything more than a "oh, hey, maybe they are more common or something".

I just found it rather interesting. Hopefully you guys do too and if it is true perhaps someone knows the reasoning behind this? Thanks. :)

Re: Pokemon Crystal Wild Shiny Chance

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-01-24 15:25:13
I remember finding tons of shinies back when I was 8-9 and playing Crystal, so there may be some truth to this. Mind you, he's not posting any evidence so I'm led to believe this is like the Mew under the truck rumor.

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-01-24 15:29:04
That'd cause sort of incompatibility with Gold/Silver since shininess is determined by DVs (eg. half of the shinies would not be shiny if traded to Gold/Silver and some normal colored would become shiny when traded to Crystal). Maybe it's some miscalculation or something.

Date: 2014-01-24 20:00:29
I was under the impression what it meant was that Crystal generates that particular DV sequence more often than G/S, thus making shinies more common in the wild while retaining compatibility. But I only have a very vague understanding of how seeds (?) in Gen I and II work as I can't find much info on the RNG for those gens. I worded that terribly, haha.

@Bert it is most likely just a rumor or wild guessing, yeah. Still, I find it pretty interesting as I too have heard about a couple other people finding shinies in Crystal pretty frequently. :)

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-01-24 20:12:27
Double shiny checks? That's how it works in later gens. But to know for sure, we'd have to know how the game makes Red Gyarados 100% shiny (Randomizing DVs until they reach the right value? Generating static Def~Special while keeping Atk random? Or all DVs are static?) These pre-Gen 3 games don't have to worry about PID, at all. So I guess it's a double check, but I do as well believe that it's just a rumor.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2014-01-25 01:27:13

I was under the impression what it meant was that Crystal generates that particular DV sequence more often than G/S, thus making shinies more common in the wild while retaining compatibility.

This is not true. Crystal does generate certain DV combinations more often in two cases: Magikarp (for length) and Unown (for letter). But Crystal is no different than G/S in this regard.

The guy obviously made a math error.

Double shiny checks? That's how it works in later gens. But to know for sure, we'd have to know how the game makes Red Gyarados 100% shiny (Randomizing DVs until they reach the right value? Generating static Def~Special while keeping Atk random? Or all DVs are static?)

Static (14/10/10/10). (Search for Gyarados)

Date: 2014-01-25 18:34:40
Magikarp? That's interesting.
EDIT: Oh for LENGTH. Like… oh. oh. I forgot that part of the game even existed

Guess this theory/rumor is put to rest then. :) Thanks.