Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Walking out of bounds in Crystal... - Page 1

Walking out of bounds in Crystal...

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-03-29 13:57:15
Around 3 months ago, I experimented with trying to walk out of the map in Pokémon Crystal.  I actually uploaded a few videos for referencing if I ever shared my findings in a thread like this, but never made any thread. 

GameShark code for walk through walls, crystal only:
9100FAC2
9100FBC2
9100FCC2
9100FDC2

As far as I know, there is no way to walk through walls without a cheat in crystal, and there almost certainly is no way to do it at the start of the game.  Although on a side note, I don't know why crystal codes all start with "91" rather than the normal "01".  When I type them in, it works fine either way.

Here's the first thing to note: Unlike in gold and silver, walking out of bounds out of your house by walking down does NOT crash the game.  It does if you head left, and I think it might if you head right, and heading up takes you to a different place.

Note: These videos are slightly loud.  Not too loud, but lower your volume slightly.  My recording settings must have changed.

Here is a video of the first kind of look.  I did not get my Phone or anything else.  (The time is offset because for whatever reason, I included starting a new game…  Don't ask why…)

The second time, I collect the phone.  The map changes slightly.  (Most noticeable with the platforms at the end).  In addition, that random collision zone at the "Top" (or bottom?) changed.  Which is queer.  I also uploaded a second video on this, but I have no idea why.  It does show the bag corruption occurring on entering this map though.

Even weirder is the fact that I made a video for getting the map card but no phone.  This is the only video of mine that has a description, which states only "Basicly to show this off.  There is more to this.".  I wish I documented my findings better. 

Looking further back at my videos, I find that a lot of them have broken sound.  Looks like a cable broke without me knowing.  Or youtube broke without me knowing.  Although I have a ton of savestates. 

I came across a set of older videos of crystal.  These ones are overdocumented… 

In most of them, I walk out of bounds down, then out of bounds up, then out of bounds down until the game crashes.  At that point, I keep moving until I get a glitch message like this one.

A Pokémon named ?, learning ??????????????????????....  It seems that a Pokémon like this learns a lot of moves when I step out of bounds.  Maybe the out of bounds creates this Pokémon.  I'll need to watch for memory corruption, although there definitely is some (as seen by the bag).

And then another time, it opens the stats menu of a charmeleon named BBBBBBQRRRQW.  Interestingly, this Pokémon shares the moveset of the earlier ?; and also, it has an OT of ?.  It may be default data, or it may be corrupted.  But the commonness of ? is interesting. 

I remember the context of this one: I loaded a savestate to try some more stuff, and then I received a phone call.  But not from anyone I recognized; instead, it filled the screen with question marks. 

And then there is this video.  I have no idea what exactly happened around here.  All I know for sure is that a trainer of the class "A double kick" is stalking me.  And according to the description, the associated save state is gone now.  I have no idea how. 

Any comments on what is going on here?  This was a lengthy post, and it is more for documenting these events than anything else.  But it is weird.  And the variety of effects I was getting is interesting too. 

Oh yes, I remembered a few other things.  First off, those glitch messages can appear in other places, along with audio corruption.  Here is actually one that is kind of creepy, when combined with the corrupted music. 

And another thing I remembered: That glitch city is a secret passage.  I'm going to upload a video for this. 

[20 minutes later]

I made a 20 minute video.  Yay.  So much for concise.  I did too many interesting things.  I just recorded second, 2-minuite video.  So that will be uploaded first, and then my long adventures in pointlessnessland will be uploaded.

The 2-minute video will be here

The longer one will be here.  Note that there are some flashing lights due to the game being weird. 

Generally, these effects are interesting.  No idea if they are useful at all.  They definitely relate to "No Windows Avali-able for popping", though.

Re: Walking out of bounds in Crystal...

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-03-29 17:45:10

As far as I know, there is no way to walk through walls without a cheat in crystal, and there almost certainly is no way to do it at the start of the game.  Although on a side note, I don't know why crystal codes all start with "91" rather than the normal "01".  When I type them in, it works fine either way.

Although there is probably no glitch to walk through walls, it is possible to corrupt the map by viewing a ????? (00)'s status, due to its second type causing a buffer overflow and this way it is possible to do stuff including going out of bounds, boarding the Magnet Train (I only got this to work in Spanish Crystal though), accessing the PokéCom Center administration office and theoretically entering the Battle Tower without talking to the assistant, which may cause you to fight a glitch trainer that has high HP and is burned (according to one of my Youtube viewers), but when I tried it with cheats I walked into the void even with the cheats disabled.

Much of the time it freezes the game though, and I don't know if its behaviour is accurate. It works on VBA but apparently not BGB. Perhaps I could test it on my Game Boy Advance SP. My Crystal has a dead battery, but playing the game more (leaving it on) lets you keep the save a little longer (although only temporarily) and I could back up the save with my Mega Memory Card and restore it every time it disappears.

Additionally, I heard that Werster and RingRush found map distortion in Crystal when you have 43 Pokémon, but apparently the real behaviour has the game freeze at 20 Pokémon in the party, so probably only the aforementioned glitch (which Paco81 calls "Missingning") can be pulled off.

Exploring these 'glitch areas' is fun. I have noticed some time ago that your items can get corrupted when going out of bounds, I can't remember when I played around with this though, it seems relatively long ago.

Update: So when I have my Xploder activated (with the switch 'ON') Crystal glitches out, freezes or resets in a glitch dimension. I don't know why. Even if I have no codes activated and have the Xploder set to 'ON' it freezes, but if I keep it the switch at 'OFF' before or after a short moment it's loaded, the game will run. For this reason I can't test hex:00's behaviour. In theory I could try the bad clone glitch, but it's already hard (I've never got it to work myself, maybe due to the right frame allegedly being a 'sub-frame' in VBA) and having a dead battery would make things more tricky.

Date: 2014-03-29 21:08:10
Well, randomly, I just found something:

When walk-thru-walling on route 26, you can get 5 ?????'s of hex 0, by going out of bounds (to route 27) at a specific point.  Here is a video of this.  Of course, it is completely pointless, as to do this you already need to be able to walk thru walls. 

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-03-30 02:40:41
I remember watching the videos about the glitch trainer in this page but I can't find them anymore. Does anyone have a link to them?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-03-30 11:11:07

When walk-thru-walling on route 26, you can get 5 ?????'s of hex 0, by going out of bounds (to route 27) at a specific point.  Here is a video of this.  Of course, it is completely pointless, as to do this you already need to be able to walk thru walls.

Ah, it corrupts your party a little, and one of the things it does is changes your number of Pokémon to 5. So if you had no Pokémon, you'll get 5 ????? (00)s. After testing this with six Pokémon, my sixth one disappears. Testing it with four Pokémon, I get a copy of Moltres as the fifth Pokémon; one of my party/box Pokémon, but with its 'donor' byte as a ????? (FF), meaning that it appears as a ????? (FF) on the status, but as a Moltres in battle (because its recipient byte is Moltres).

Date: 2014-03-30 11:26:12

I remember watching the videos about the glitch trainer in this page but I can't find them anymore. Does anyone have a link to them?

I looked at that page, and it may have been only images.  Though I did submit a correction for someone's accidental "[[Link Title]]". 

On that page, it says that you encounter trainers who become ?????'s.  I'm thinking that is incorect.  It probably is a side effect of the gameshark code, which previously set the wild Pokemon to a ?????.  If you disable the code, something different will probably happen, but I don't know what.  I'll have to look into that as well.

Ah, it corrupts your party a little, and one of the things it does is changes your number of Pokémon to 5. So if you had no Pokémon, you'll get 5 ????? (00)s. After testing this with six Pokémon, my sixth one disappears. Testing it with four Pokémon, I get a copy of Moltres as the fifth Pokémon; one of my party/box Pokémon, but with its 'donor' byte as a ????? (FF), meaning that it appears as a ????? (FF) on the status, but as a Moltres in battle (because its recipient byte is Moltres).

That is interesting.  I'll also note that doing it a few tiles further down gives you a different party, which causes a game crash when opened.  I'm geussing that the causes is writing a number above 6 to the party count. 

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-03-30 23:21:58

I looked at that page, and it may have been only images.  Though I did submit a correction for someone's accidental "[[Link Title]]". 

On that page, it says that you encounter trainers who become ?????'s.  I'm thinking that is incorect.  It probably is a side effect of the gameshark code, which previously set the wild Pokemon to a ?????.  If you disable the code, something different will probably happen, but I don't know what.  I'll have to look into that as well.

I was referring to the rotating trainer who spots you diagonally at the bottom of the page. That one's definitely from a series of videos. The save file ended up to be erased and even a NEW GAME is glitched up. I forgot where he walked out of bounds though, and whether it's Gold or Crystal.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-03-31 04:59:23

I was referring to the rotating trainer who spots you diagonally at the bottom of the page. That one's definitely from a series of videos. The save file ended up to be erased and even a NEW GAME is glitched up. I forgot where he walked out of bounds though, and whether it's Gold or Crystal.

Well, I investigated this in the bgb debugger yesterday, and I don't understand it fully (partly because of the current state of the pokecrystal disassembly) but my theory is an invalid map script, given that the memory corruption occurs due to a function call that happens from a point inside ROM bank 5 that contains data, not code…