Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Generation II glitch trainers, and a couple of questions - Page 1

Generation II glitch trainers, and a couple of questions

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-06 09:54:34
I'm playing around with different glitch Trainers in Generation I and Generation II. If you don't count the non-random Trainer House glitch trainers, then ostensibly there is just this one good, non-freezing glitch roster in Gold that is repeated a few times (more than twice unless I'm mistaken).

One of the glitch Trainers that uses this roster is "Squirtle Q'". You can fight it with the codes 014A18D1 01011BD1. The first code is for the trainer class, so it's "Squirtle" in this case. The second code controls both the name (Q') and the roster and it's possible for certain values that the name/roster for a glitch Trainer class may be from a real trainer.

This is the team I'm referring to:

[img]http://i.minus.com/jbj10T9QajHzs7.png[/img][img]http://i.minus.com/jmrUyewfmLUsP.png[/img]

Pokémon 1:

*Forretress, level 175 (female)

Moves:

Bide
Explosion
Spikes
Double-Edge

Pokémon 2:

*Venomoth, level 76 (female)

Gust
Psybeam
Sleep Powder
Psychic

Pokémon 3:

*Bulbasaur, level 62 (female)

Sweet Scent
Growth
Synthesis
Solar Beam

Pokémon 4:

*Phanpy, level 224 (female)

Moves:

Take Down
Rollout
Endure
Double-Edge

Pokémon 5:

*Paras, level 205 (female)

Moves:

Spore
Slash
Growth
Giga Drain

Pokémon 6:

*Unown, level 3

Moves:

Hidden Power

My questions are:

1) What is the address that controls whether you're in a link battle or not in Gold/Silver? I want to see whether it's possible to fight the 6 party trainers with ????? without a freeze. The relevant address in Crystal is C2DC, and when it's 01, the game thinks you're in a link battle. I tried looking for it with a value different search (00 and 01) both for a ????? (FF) encounter and a link battle via VBA Link, but couldn't find it, oddly.
2) Do any Trainer modifier code glitch Trainers in Pokémon Crystal not freeze the game? I tried a good amount of values and they all froze the game with a black screen before the Trainer loaded. The codes for Crystal are 01xx2FD2, 01xx31D2.

Re: Generation II glitch trainers, and a couple of questions

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-04-06 13:22:43

1) What is the address that controls whether you're in a link battle or not in Gold/Silver? I want to see whether it's possible to fight the 6 party trainers with ????? without a freeze. The relevant address in Crystal is C2DC, and when it's 01, the game thinks you're in a link battle. I tried looking for it with a value different search (00 and 01) both for a ????? (FF) encounter and a link battle via VBA Link, but couldn't find it, oddly.

A while ago I did notice that all ?????'s were fought in a link battle.  However I also noticed that this was avoidable by enabling the code later into the battle.  (IE, after the pokemon appear but before it finishes the start).  Then, you could battle them.

Date: 2014-04-06 16:18:19

A while ago I did notice that all ?????'s were fought in a link battle.  However I also noticed that this was avoidable by enabling the code later into the battle.  (IE, after the pokemon appear but before it finishes the start).  Then, you could battle them.

I found the address after a while. It turns out that it was in our codes archive, but as multiple codes. The only code that you have to change though is D042. Setting it to 00 will disable link battles (01 or higher)

When ????? is sent out, it corrupts all but one address from D03B-D0FF to FF (the exception is D0EE, I don't know what this address is for) which is why ????? causes a link battle, because having FF in D042 will cause one (probably because the first bit is on). Some of the bytes (probably most, though I haven't checked each one) in this range are responsible for the map data, and that may be what causes the freeze (for me), when you exit the battle.

Thanks to this byte, I can fight "EKANS 9KB" (017118D1, 01011BD1) and other glitch Trainers with high leveled Pokémon. Note that if an opponent's Pokémon has no moves (in other words all 00 moves) and is not a ????? of any kind (which is the case for one of this Trainer's Pokémon) then the game will hang on your turn, but you can work around this by setting the enemy's first move bytes to 01. Luckily, this is easy as the enemy's moves are stored in WRAM. I've noticed that a ????? (00)'s never gets to have a turn, so other than its HP, it's essentially helpless.

Also, for some reason EKANS 9KB's ????? (00)s have a huge amount of HP, and I'm not sure if it's possible to defeat one without changing the current HP byte (even when I tried, apparently it didn't work as I wanted, though eventually the first ?????'s HP ran out. Maybe I was changing the wrong byte). If you change the species to something like Bulbasaur you can work around this problem though, as it won't have a large amount of HP. It's a shame though, as I'd like to battle glitch Trainers with their 'authentic' teams. You also have to change the enemy's moves if it was formally a ????? (00) and had no moves.

New question:

How come the Generation II Glitch City 'warp' doesn't work for me? In both Gold/Silver and Crystal, when I escape from or defeat a ????? it doesn't work. In Gold, the game freezes (I must disable the link battle bit to do this) and in Crystal nothing noticeable happens.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-04-07 08:45:15
Crystal Glitch City has to be done by walking out of bounds.

Date: 2014-04-07 09:05:34

Crystal Glitch City has to be done by walking out of bounds.

Yes, those are non-specific Glitch Cities (well unless (maybe sometimes) you walk out of bounds from the same spot). I'm looking for this Glitch City:

[img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/e/ee/Gscglitchcity11.png[/img]

I tried BGB and vba-v24m-svn422 and I don't warp there after beating a ?????, but I know that it's possible somehow without the 'waiting...!' message

I also tried Pokémon Silver. Like Gold, I get the waiting message, or a freeze if I disable it and run.

Date: 2014-04-07 10:30:07
Just where did that screenshot come from? That trainer is map-specific and doesn't always appear.

Date: 2014-04-08 08:06:08

Just where did that screenshot come from? That trainer is map-specific and doesn't always appear.

It's on our Glitch City (Gold/Silver/Crystal) page, for the Gold/Silver Glitch City. I don't know the location ????? was fought, if that matters.

I have a challenge. Can anyone beat Gold's Unown F9 Trainer House Trainer with no items or sleep inducing moves? He has five level 205 Dunsparce with Rollout and the last one knows Sleep Powder I believe. Dunsparce is very bulky at level 205 and it's likely Rollout's power will become too high. You'll have to terminate his name with a 50 in order for the game not to freeze before you battle him (change AC08 to 50 to terminate its name). To make it extra hard, you could try it without Protect.

Date: 2014-04-08 08:08:35
Is Rollout the only move?

Date: 2014-04-08 08:17:13

Is Rollout the only move?

The first five only know two copies of Rollout and False Swipe. The sixth knows Poison Sting, Rage, Sleep Powder and Pound, so thinking about it Rock/Ground types can wall all six.

Edit: I made a mistake, one of them knows Mega Punch. I got the data by looking at the memory and not through directly checking.

Date: 2014-04-08 11:03:45
What's Gen 2 Trainer's AI? Always using moves that would deal the most damage?

Date: 2014-04-08 11:34:50

What's Gen 2 Trainer's AI? Always using moves that would deal the most damage?

I'm not sure, but that seems to be a preference.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-04-08 16:52:30

It's on our Glitch City (Gold/Silver/Crystal) page, for the Gold/Silver Glitch City. I don't know the location ????? was fought, if that matters.

I have a challenge. Can anyone beat Gold's Unown F9 Trainer House Trainer with no items or sleep inducing moves? He has five level 205 Dunsparce with Rollout and the last one knows Sleep Powder I believe. Dunsparce is very bulky at level 205 and it's likely Rollout's power will become too high. You'll have to terminate his name with a 50 in order for the game not to freeze before you battle him (change AC08 to 50 to terminate its name). To make it extra hard, you could try it without Protect.

Ha! I'll do you one better: Fight PkMn Trainer AAAATY and his team of six level 232 Tauros. If he can be fought (I have no idea which trainers freeze the game and which ones don't), that is.

Hard mode: Don't use a fighting-type Pokémon and attacks.

Nightmare mode: Don't use fighting-type Pokémon and attacks, and don't let any of your Pokémon faint.

God mode: Don't take any damage.

Holy Diver mode: OHKO all his Pokémon.

Date: 2014-04-09 09:00:46
That Tauros Trainer is either uncommon or an error (though it would be strange for it to be an error as you'd think you wouldn't just come up with data like that). $3E gave me six level 52 Meowth, while $3F caused no corruption. Another try, I got a different team but no six level 232 Tauros, but I can't remember if I forgot to activate the code and view the glitch Unown. The effects when you view that Unown can vary. It may glitch up the menu and remove the UnownDex/make Pokémon in the PokéDex invisible or freeze the game with a white screen.

By the way, you have to terminate its name with a $50 for it to work, like other Trainer House Trainers.