Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Pokémon Gold - GlitchDexDex - Page 1

Pokémon Gold - GlitchDexDex

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-06-28 01:24:42
So here's the result of another database I have collected, in this case from Pokémon Gold.  It's a Glitch Dex Dex: A list of glitch Pokédex modes.  These can be triggered via address $C6D8 when on the Pokédex Mode Select screen (If you change it on the actual Pokédex and then enter the screen, it is overridden), or by writing a value to $C6D4 before hand (this controls the previously selected mode).  Note that on the overworld, these values do something with screen buffers - Using a gameshark code on them can result in random glitched tiles being drawn when the screen is scrolled. 

Here is a download of the complete data, and here is the important data (included in the table below).

Video of the highlights.

Some of the syntax I use:

I've applied a glow effect on the things which I detail after here.

[table]
[tr][td]Dec[/td][td]Hex[/td][td]Description[/td][td]Effect[/td][td]HoverEffect[/td][td]Notes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]8[/td][td]8[/td][td][Crash][/td][td]Starts drawing junk on screen.[/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]16[/td][td]10[/td][td][Crash][/td][td]Changes modes to [?][/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]28[/td][td]1C[/td][td][/td][td]Empty Glitch Pokedex[/td][td][/td][td]Loops forever!?  With no input???
[/td][/tr][tr][td][glow=#FF0000,2,300]29[/glow][/td][td][glow=#FF0000,2,300]1D[/glow][/td][td][glow=#FF0000,2,300][/glow][/td][td][glow=#FF0000,2,300]Can't be triggered.[/glow][/td][td][glow=#FF0000,2,300]EITHER exits pokedex OR gives you a ton of glitch evolutions.[/glow][/td][td][glow=#FF0000,2,300]
[/glow][/td][/tr][tr][td]42[/td][td]2A[/td][td][Crash][/td][td]Displays a glitch graphic.[/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]59[/td][td]3B[/td][td]e.[/td][td]Adds some '—–' to the screen.[/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]69[/td][td]45[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Crashes game.[/td][td]"Once displayed ""GYI{F} ?"".  Randomly corrupts memory.  "
[/td][/tr][tr][td]74[/td][td]4A[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Crashes game.[/td][td]Randomly corrupts memory. 
[/td][/tr][tr][td]79[/td][td]4F[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]EITHER exits pokedex OR gives you a ton of glitch evolutions.[/td][td]See 1D.
[/td][/tr][tr][td]84[/td][td]54[/td][td]l8 y 8 y)Rö  .P{g}{border}R{border} .Pür.\n\n[/td][td]Corrupts audio and does screen drawing[/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]122[/td][td]7A[/td][td]\n  aä  B{border}B  {g}R DD HSTL?rq. {$}.h rAB[/td][td]Blacks screen.[/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]124[/td][td]7C[/td][td]x[/td][td]What?  ? Is evolving![/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td][glow=#00FF00,2,300]137[/glow][/td][td][glow=#00FF00,2,300]89[/glow][/td][td][glow=#00FF00,2,300]({$}]{Female}  4N'm E[/glow][/td][td][glow=#00FF00,2,300]WTF crash[/glow][/td][td][glow=#00FF00,2,300][/glow][/td][td][glow=#00FF00,2,300]Only, and I mean ONLY works in one specific tile, in one specific route
[/glow][/td][/tr][tr][td]152[/td][td]98[/td][td] hqD    éé 4.  E é. 4& hyE é&  ?I    TMZ4[/td][td]SEARCH RESULTS\nTYPE [blank]\n0 FOUND! (Shows a picture of selected Pokemon)[/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]157[/td][td]9D[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]What? ? Is evolving![/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]163[/td][td]A3[/td][td][What? ? Is evolving!][/td][td]Halts emulator[/td][td][/td][td]The ? Is evolving ONLY happens when the text apears, not on hover
[/td][/tr][tr][td]167[/td][td]A7[/td][td][Blank][/td][td]Startles people with loud sound effect.[/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]170[/td][td]AA[/td][td][What? ? Is evolving!][/td][td]Glitch Dimension reset.[/td][td][/td][td]The ? Is evolving ONLY happens when the text apears, not on hover
[/td][/tr][tr][td]173[/td][td]AD[/td][td])ZZZZZZ 'r'lKDHH?MrI[/td][td]Shows a search results screen for no type, but has pokemon.[/td][td][/td][td]B returns to search select screen.
[/td][/tr][tr][td]206[/td][td]CE[/td][td][Blank][/td][td]Evolves Something Then crashes.[/td][td][/td][td]State 2 has better sprite, but same effect
[/td][/tr][tr][td]207[/td][td]CF[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]EITHER exits pokedex OR gives you a ton of glitch evolutions.[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]218[/td][td]DA[/td][td][Long {9}][/td][td]No effect?[/td][td][/td][td]Effect noted; it does eventualy crash if you spam a (autofire?)
[/td][/tr][tr][td]239[/td][td]EF[/td][td][Long {9}][/td][td]Seizure warning - Flickers.[/td][td][/td][td]Seems to be controled by music speed.  Eventual glitch dimension reset.
[/td][/tr][tr][td][glow=#0000FF,2,300]254[/glow][/td][td][glow=#0000FF,2,300]FE[/glow][/td][td][glow=#0000FF,2,300][Blank][/glow][/td][td][glow=#0000FF,2,300]Corrupts palettes.[/glow][/td][td][glow=#0000FF,2,300][/glow][/td][td][glow=#0000FF,2,300]Used purples for me, but it might be because of night  Still works in glitch dimension.  You can now get cool colors!
[/glow][/td][/tr][/table]

[glow=#FF0000,2,300]Red (HEX 1D)[/glow]: This pattern reappears a lot.  It's kind of similar to ILSTY and ?, except that it is more along the lines of ? & ? & ? & ? &  & ? & ? & ? ….  The statement "No other variation of the effect has been documented" may need to be changed after further research.  Video of this effect.

[glow=#00FF00,2,300]Green (HEX 89)[/glow]: This ONLY works in very specific places.  I don't quite know the reason, and pure dumb luck found it.  It can only occur while standing on the two tiles on the left side of one of the transition rooms, slightly out.  It can be either on the tile shown on the image, or one above. 
[img]http://i.imgur.com/GL8y2Nc.png[/img]
This WILL destroy save data.  I wouldn't do this on console, just because it is doing a lot of weird stuff, and this feels like the kind of thing that could go horribly wrong. 

[glow=#0000FF,2,300]Blue (HEX FE)[/glow]: This resets when you exit the mode screen, but it can be made permanent by preforming a glitch dimension beforehand.  It tends to give darker colors. 

I feel like I forgot to say something, but it is 11:27 PM for me right now and I need to go to sleep.  If I figure it out in the morning I will edit this post. 

Re: Pokémon Gold - GlitchDexDex

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-06-28 09:49:36
Good job!