Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Possible glitch in Celebi Machines - Page 1

Possible glitch in Celebi Machines

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-09-06 14:39:51
Obviously, it is not known if there are any Mew/Celebi Machines in the wild anymore. And of course, there were different revisions of the Celebi Machine (the earliest ones seen at events like Pokémon Fun Fest 2001 had the same blue-coloured case as a Mew Machine, later Celebi Machines had a yellow case).

Anyway, last night I was scouring the internet for any info related to the Mew/Celebi Machines, and came across this page: http://v-road.8m.com/funfest.htm

It mentions a supposed Nintendo employee, "Arnold", using an early Celebi machine at Fun Fest 2001. (you can see a picture of said Celebi machine, from the back)

I will quote from the page here, with typos intact:

"A few minuets later he tried uploading Celebi to my Silver and it crashed. I got nervous thinking my games memory was erased.  Arnold seemed to know what he was doing. He put my Silver into his Gameboy and turned it on. I asked him what was the matter. He said, Im looking for a Pokémon with an item attached to it. He told me 1of my Pokémon, Kenya, had mail attached to it.  He told me to take the mail off of it. So I took the mail off and saved. Then I took Silver out of his Gameboy. A couple of minutes later I gave my silver back to Arnold and he uploaded Celebi. I was so HAPPY!"

So, there was a known glitch in Celebi Machines (at least, the early ones) wherein it would freeze if a Pokémon (probably in the party) had a hold item attached.

Obviously, without a ROM dump of the Celebi Machine's ROM (which will naturally happen when hell freezes over :p), any further details regarding this glitch are unknown.

(By the way, according to visible SGB borders in photos from the time, the Mew Machine used a ROM based on Japanese Blue; and the Celebi Machine used a ROM based on Japanese Gold)

Re: Possible glitch in Celebi Machines

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2014-09-07 14:11:30

"A few minuets later he tried uploading Celebi to my Silver and it crashed. I got nervous thinking my games memory was erased.  Arnold seemed to know what he was doing. He put my Silver into his Gameboy and turned it on. I asked him what was the matter. He said, Im looking for a Pokémon with an item attached to it. He told me 1of my Pokémon, Kenya, had mail attached to it.  He told me to take the mail off of it. So I took the mail off and saved. Then I took Silver out of his Gameboy. A couple of minutes later I gave my silver back to Arnold and he uploaded Celebi. I was so HAPPY!"

So, there was a known glitch in Celebi Machines (at least, the early ones) wherein it would freeze if a Pokémon (probably in the party) had a hold item attached.

While were speculating, the problem was more likely with mail specifically. Held items are so common that a bug like that would probably have been fixed during development. Held mail is much less common and more likely to get missed in testing.