Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Link Battle Trainers in the Trainer House glitch. - Page 1

Link Battle Trainers in the Trainer House glitch.

Posted by: Terranort
Date: 2014-09-27 19:20:33
Okay, so I PM'd Torchickens about this back on the 22nd, so if you're reading this, I'm sorry if I'm being annoying about this, but I was just wondering if anyone knew about when it says, "In this case, the Trainers will have the same name and Pokémon as the last Trainer fought in a link battle," on http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trainer_House_glitch if it's referring to corrupted link battles or just any link battle.  If it's the latter, does that mean that the save file stores the team of the last person you battled with a link cable, and if so, how exactly would you access that data?

If anyone could help me with that, it would seriously mean a lot.

Thanks, and everyone have a great week,
Terra.

Re: Link Battle Trainers in the Trainer House glitch.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-09-29 07:26:10
Hiya.

I'm sorry for the late reply. I didn't have access to my laptop for a few days. You weren't being annoying at all.

I regret to say that I've actually never experienced this, so I may be of little help.

If it's the latter, does that mean that the save file stores the team of the last person you battled with a link cable, and if so, how exactly would you access that data?

Data like that is stored and is kept after you battle a link Trainer, but reset once you reset the game. However, I've only confirmed that in Crystal. You can view it with a memory viewer if you're using TGB Dual (and probably BGB) to link.

These may be the relevant memory addresses (stored in little endianness rather than big endian, which TGB Dual/BGB/VBA's memory viewer uses, so you'd have to swap the last two digit pairs, e.g. 56DD ->DD56).

Link Trainer data is stored in memory where enemy Pokémon data is (I found this when verifying TM33 arbitrary code execution, which executes code from the third character of the fifth enemy Pokémon's nickname). I don't know if it's stored in all of those normal enemy Pokémon addresses, though.

I don't know how to access the link battle data as in fight it.

That Bulbapedia page has generalizations and speculation that may not be true. The bulk of that page was from Glitchchampion (Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/GlitchchampionPKMN), then I edited it and added some stuff.

You may want to ask him/her if he remembers what trick/glitch Unown is/are responsible for the link battle thing. They uploaded a video a little over two months ago.

It sounds familiar to FF mail type corruption in Pokémon Crystal, but most like Generation I's Cable Club escape glitch.

Posted by: Terranort
Date: 2014-09-29 08:11:09

Hiya.

I'm sorry for the late reply. I didn't have access to my laptop for a few days. You weren't being annoying at all.

I regret to say that I've actually never experienced this, so I may be of little help.

If it's the latter, does that mean that the save file stores the team of the last person you battled with a link cable, and if so, how exactly would you access that data?

Data like that is stored and is kept after you battle a link Trainer, but reset once you reset the game. However, I've only confirmed that in Crystal. You can view it with a memory viewer if you're using TGB Dual (and probably BGB) to link.

These may be the relevant memory addresses (stored in little endianness rather than big endian, which TGB Dual/BGB/VBA's memory viewer uses, so you'd have to swap the last two digit pairs, e.g. 56DD ->DD56).

Link Trainer data is stored in memory where enemy Pokémon data is (I found this when verifying TM33 arbitrary code execution, which executes code from the third character of the fifth enemy Pokémon's nickname). I don't know if it's stored in all of those normal enemy Pokémon addresses, though.

I don't know how to access the link battle data as in fight it.

That Bulbapedia page has generalizations and speculation that may not be true. The bulk of that page was from Glitchchampion (Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/GlitchchampionPKMN), then I edited it and added some stuff.

You may want to ask him/her if he remembers what trick/glitch Unown is/are responsible for the link battle thing. They uploaded a video a little over two months ago.

It sounds familiar to FF mail type corruption in Pokémon Crystal, but most like Generation I's Cable Club escape glitch.

Thanks for the info.  If it's reset after you reset the game, than what I was gonna try and do is kinda pointless, but thanks anyways.  You've been a big help. :D

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-09-29 08:26:36
OK, you're welcome!

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2014-10-03 00:09:40
Note: The game saves the team of the last person you Mystery Gifted with, not the last team you link battled with.