Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Obtaining ????? (silver) without coin case/ bad clones. - Page 1

Obtaining ????? (silver) without coin case/ bad clones.

Posted by: shutterbug2000
Date: 2014-12-18 19:01:00
Is it at all possible to get a bad clone in silver by trading from blue? For some reason, 'm shows up as slowpoke(?!) In silver, which according to the hex list,  shouldn't be happening… Any ideas?

Re: Obtaining ????? (silver) without coin case/ bad clones.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-12-18 20:07:01

Is it at all possible to get a bad clone in silver by trading from blue? For some reason, 'm shows up as slowpoke(?!) In silver, which according to the hex list,  shouldn't be happening… Any ideas?

I don't think there is a way, sadly. Everything 1-250 has a hard-coded conversion when you trade them to Generation II (see here) and ????? doesn't appear in the list. According to Háčky, 251 and 252 become Wobbuffet as well, and 253-255 (and 0) become Pokémon based on the data following the table, but since that's in the ROM, you can't change it, and ????? doesn't appear anywhere for Generation I to Generation II transfers. Another thing that stops you is the "abormal Pokémon trap". This can actually be worked around if you use 8F to change a Pokémon's typing to match the Gold/Silver/Crystal Pokémon's type, however.

I don't know of a way to get a ????? without Coin Case or the bad clone trick in Gold and Silver unfortunately. I tweaked TheZZAZZGlitch's Celebi Coin Case trick (where you deposit the first Pokémon into the Day Care and withdraw it) to get ?????, because it's hard to get a bad clone (without Stadium 2, as people say it makes things easier).

I don't think the 'current' Coin Case trick requirements are that bad, unless you threw away or used TM06 Toxic from Janine. It's time consuming though, so I do think it would be great if there was a crazy glitch that lets you get a ????? easily, as unlikely as it seems.

Party requirements: Quagsire with HP Up in fourth position and Sleep Talk as the first move, a low level Pokémon in the third position, a Pokémon that will get replaced in the first position. Use a different low level Pokémon and Quagsire if this doesn't work.

Overworld requirements: Take one step out of Elm's lab, go four steps east, listen to Bellsprout/Machop's/etc. cry, switch pockets, use Coin Case.

Stored item requirements (order matters):
[ANY ITEM]                x[ANY QUANTITY]
[ANY ITEM]                x38
TM27                      x2
Fresh Water                x42
Lovely Mail                x1
HM07                      x1
Poke Ball                  x65
Great Ball                x4
Everstone                  x1
Surf Mail                  x51
Full Heal                  x18
Flower Mail                x46
HM03                      x1
X Speed                    x1
TM06                      x1
TM41                      x1

Date: 2014-12-18 20:10:27
Well, I'm testing a theory I have at the moment. I'll let you know how that goes.

Date: 2014-12-18 20:15:06

Well, I'm testing a theory I have at the moment. I'll let you know how that goes.

Good luck!

Date: 2014-12-18 21:38:38
Well, that didn't work. But, there's hope. Maybe. After some thought, since (I think) code execution Is easier in red/ blue, maybe we could:
1. Obtain a Charizard m, through whatever method is easier.

2. Put it in the pc in the current box.

3. Change it to level x with the stats of a level x ?????

4. Trade it to gen 2

5. Hope it works!!

Would this be feasible?

Date: 2014-12-18 21:55:42
Actually, hex:FF is considered a ????? (FF) on Gold, at least from Yellow, and not Snubbull or Granbull. I'm sorry for relying on data and not checking myself.

When you try to trade glitch Pokémon to Generation II, you often get a message that it is "abnormal" which prevents you from trading it, you've probably seen it before. To make it tradeable, it must:

*Must not be an unstable stable.
*Must not be over level 100.
*Must have types that match the Generation II Pokémon.

Hex:FF ????? is a dual-type 'l) m) ZM/Normal glitch Pokémon. The hexadecimal representation of its type is apparently 7C 0C; so you need to give Q those types and then trade it. I'll try to make a ws m code (or 8F code if this would work with Charizard 'M) that changes its types tomorrow.

Edit: I made a code but I don't know where I got my old type values from. I think they may have been wrong, so I'm going to rewrite it and say if it lets you trade it. One moment.
Edit 2: My code didn't let it tradeable. I wonder why it didn't work.

The code was:

ld a, $7C  | 3E 7C
ld h, D1    | 26 D1
ld l, 6F    | 2E 6F
ld (hli),a  | 22
ld a, $0C  | 3E 0C
ld (hli),a  | 22
ret        | C9

Lemonade x124
Carbos x209
X Accuracy x111
Water Stone x62
Burn Heal x34
TM01 x(anything)

It sets D16F and D170 to 7C 0C.

Date: 2014-12-19 12:18:24

Actually, hex:FF is considered a ????? (FF) on Gold, at least from Yellow, and not Snubbull or Granbull. I'm sorry for relying on data and not checking myself.

When you try to trade glitch Pokémon to Generation II, you often get a message that it is "abnormal" which prevents you from trading it, you've probably seen it before. To make it tradeable, it must:

*Must not be an unstable stable.
*Must not be over level 100.
*Must have types that match the Generation II Pokémon.

Hex:FF ????? is a dual-type 'l) m) ZM/Normal glitch Pokémon. The hexadecimal representation of its type is apparently 7C 0C; so you need to give Q those types and then trade it. I'll try to make a ws m code (or 8F code if this would work with Charizard 'M) that changes its types tomorrow.

Edit: I made a code but I don't know where I got my old type values from. I think they may have been wrong, so I'm going to rewrite it and say if it lets you trade it. One moment.
Edit 2: My code didn't let it tradeable. I wonder why it didn't work.

The code was:

ld a, $7C  | 3E 7C
ld h, D1    | 26 D1
ld l, 6F    | 2E 6F
ld (hli),a  | 22
ld a, $0C  | 3E 0C
ld (hli),a  | 22
ret        | C9

Lemonade x124
Carbos x209
X Accuracy x111
Water Stone x62
Burn Heal x34
TM01 x(anything)

It sets D16F and D170 to 7C 0C.

Well, could it be the stats? Maybe it's considering it an "unstable hybrid"

Date: 2014-12-19 12:42:11
The only thing I noticed that was odd about Q was its glitchy experience to the next level, but you can trade the glitch Pokémon "4. ." over from Yellow to Gold as Totodile (they are both single type Water Pokémon), even though mine required "777187" experience to level 8 as Totodile it traded over. Oh, and it also knew a TMXX glitch move. I'm not sure if that matters because you can trade the hex:00 move over.

I'll try different things. It's possible that Gold made the Pokémon an unstable hybrid, because it wasn't before (both species bytes were FF), and I wonder if the no "unstable hybrid Pokémon" rule applies if the byte 1 is hex:FF. So, could you trade a hex:FF/Magneton hybrid over to Generation II, because the types do not matter for Magneton? Also, it could be that Háčky's FF conversions are right, but it's only their byte 2 which is Snubbull or Granbull.

Edit: I tried both a FF/Magneton hybrid and a Normal type stable Q. It didn't work. Sorry, I don't know what to do.

Date: 2014-12-20 07:43:06
Ok, well, after many hours, I've gotten my bad clone. However,  another issue has arose. I can only get hex 00, not hex FF. I've put it in the day care, and it still won't let me do Johto Guard glitch. Any tips?

Date: 2014-12-20 10:08:33
OK, congratulations! Once you take it out of Day Care, make sure you have 6 Pokémon, but not valuable Pokémon. If you don't you can move it to the bottom of the party first and deposit Pokémon.

Once you have 6 Pokémon, move ????? (00) at the top of the party, and use Move PkMn W/O Mail to bring another Pokémon to the top of the party and get 7 Pokémon. After this, your second Pokémon (?????) should be a 00/FF hybrid. Using both Day Care staff, take the top Pokémon (don't deposit ????? yet or your Pokémon menu may freeze the game) into the Day Care, and then ????? into the Day Care and back out again to get a stable ????? (FF), then move it to the bottom of the party again and release any junk Pokémon.

Let me know if this works.

You can distinguish 00 and FF by their mini-sprite:

00 mini-sprite:
[img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/2/21/MS_00_FC_FE_Gold.png[/img] (Gold)
[img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/1/14/MS_Slowpoke.png[/img] (Silver)

FF mini-sprite:
[img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/b/bf/MS_FF_Gold.png[/img] (Gold) [img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/8/8c/MS_FF_Silver.png[/img] (Silver)

Date: 2014-12-20 13:36:10
Thank you!! It worked! I'm in the trade room with a mareep right now! Thanks for your help! Time to mess around with glitch pokemon.

Date: 2014-12-20 13:56:22
You're welcome. Nice one! Have fun Johto guard glitching! :)