Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Generation II's item 00h - Page 2

Re: Generation II's item 00h

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-08-18 16:50:55

Hey! What is that 'neko no ko koneko' thing?
A poet from a wicked long time ago was asked to read "子子子子子子子子子子子子" on threat of death. He responded "a small cat [is] a kitten; a small lion [is] a cub". The repetition of "き" reminded me of it.

Posted by: TheICTLiker4
Date: 2019-08-19 02:47:38
Yes, that is a repetition of a control character, under the codepoint of 2316. It reads き kō geki and means attack. In other games, it prints tzx, but it's just garbage data. In Generation I, the same character in the Japanese games prints vu, but it's just a junk character in the English games.
In Generation III, this character is ó in the international games and mo in Japanese games.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-08-19 05:52:10
Ah, interesting. Didn't know there were control characters in GSC for things like that.

I might have come across an instance of the other thing when transferring something with diacritics in the name from Gen III to Pal Park.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-08-19 06:11:07
It's curious they have the き control character. If I remember (when I was analysing the JP Sweet Honey text) it is used by a certain battlable Trainer or Trainers in the Japanese version - so it's not unused, but maybe not as essential as say the player name control character.

I might have come across an instance of the other thing when transferring something with diacritics in the name from Gen III to Pal Park.

This brings to mind https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Pal_Park_name_encoding_glitch ; what instance do you mean specifically out of interest?

Also on the Mobile GB Adapter server while talking about potential exploits; I made this post

Found this. Actually when an accurate emulation of Mobile GB Adapter on real hardware is achieved then (no external device) ACE may not be as unlikely as it looked if we can peer-check it/video maybe, find out where it's used.

"The last occurrence is inside mobile-related code. Every single string (nickname, OT, mail, mail author) is checked for invalid bytes and termination (where the terminator is $4E for some reason) within the correct length, by bankswitched calls. If one of these checks fails, the offending string is replaced with a default string by a bankswitched call.

Here's a list of default strings used:
OT name, mail author: "" Chris followed by two terminators
Pokémon nickname: "?????" unterminated(!!!)
Mail text: "にちは" "Konnichiwa" Hello followed by one terminator"

^ Apparently it seems something within the code can cause the name to be an unterminated ?????. If it's unterminated then maybe that could potentially lead to an exploit/non-cheating device glitch technique to do the exploit ; but if it is checked again after the conversion without printing it, it might just terminate it again.