Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Gen II Battle Transition Oversight - Page 1

Gen II Battle Transition Oversight

Posted by: pigdevil2010
Date: 2016-02-18 10:46:02
I found this while working on a rom hack of Pokemon Crystal. According to the disassembly, there's a battle transition for when your first Pokemon has a level less than the opponent by at least three and the one for the opposite. Just like in Gen I. However, I tested it and whatever the level my Pokemon was, the transition always resulted randomly. So I debugged the rom and found out that those Pokemon level data it supposed to compare are not loaded. This oversight even occurred in the original Gold/Silver.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4xss2Yd.png[/img]

According to the above image, $CB19 (BattleMonLevel) should be $35, which was the level of my Meganium. And $D0FC (EnemyMonLevel) should be the level of an opponent. These data are used for something else outside the battle (for example, BattleMonLevel is a part of tile map buffer) so that's why the result of battle transition effect is random.

Sorry again if someone else already discovered this.

Re: Gen II Battle Transition Oversight

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-02-22 19:09:23
I've been browsing the Pokémon glitch community for a while, but never found anything like this. Do you thing this has any potential to be useful ? (I doubt it could outside of a TAS, but I trust you to find creative answers)

Anyways, if the game does not load the mon's level, what is use for comparaison ?