Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Crystal Madness? - Page 1

Pokemon Crystal Madness?

Posted by: JohnDragon
Date: 2016-02-26 08:32:00
So i was abusing the Pokemon dup glitch in order to get rare candies in Pokemon Crystal when all the sudden my color pallet seemed to be changed.  I had only been checking the number of pokemon in my box, so when i finally checked my box for my pokemon i had been duping, I suddenly had 3 (YES 3!) bad clones I believe, one with my trainer name.  I'll include pics soon

Re: Pokemon Crystal Madness?

Posted by: JohnDragon
Date: 2016-02-26 13:53:15
https://youtu.be/P1H6WjY3Z6k

So I made a video to record this, I messed around a lot with this while I was away from my house but it seems I've gotten the exact timing down for getting bad clones in Pokemon Crystal.  My game has had (before the bad clones) some weird graphical things but i think that may have more to do with the system then my game and/or save.  I've tested this under several different scenarios and it appears the only variable is timing, you pokemon does not have to be holding a certain item or have a certain number of pokemon in your box already.  You simply have to hit the EXTREMELY precise timing for the bad clone.  Hopefully I can get some people to reproduce this and then EVERYONE can fly free with celebi  ;)

Here's the steps for those who aren't as familiar with gen 2 cloning but wanna try it:

1.  Save in front of your pc with the pokemon you wanna make a bad clone of in your party
2.  Go into the pc and place your pokemon in a box next to an empty box
3.  now go switch boxes to the empty box next to the currently used box (yes it wants you to save, save corruption is what makes this glitch work ;P)
4.  When the game starts saying "saving… do not turn off the power." turn off the GBA a small moment after the text box completes. (what helps me is that I read off the word "power" as it appears on screen and turn off the GBA halfway through the 2nd syllable approximately, I do this in the above video)
5.  Turn the game back on and see if you have a bad clone in your pc box that you first placed the original pokemon to be cloned in

If you have any questions feel free to ask!