Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

3rd gen to 2nd gen connected and strange result - Page 1

3rd gen to 2nd gen connected and strange result

Posted by: Dante
Date: 2016-06-28 19:21:02
So I wanted to share a story of my childhood with all of you. Around 2004/2005, I had a link cable and a brand new Pokemon Sapphire.
I tried to connect it with a copy of Pokemon Gold with a friend. We didn't knew it wasn't possible and it wasn't clear how to do it. I was smart enough to know that at least there were some limitation, like there were limitation between first and second gen.
So on sapphire I went in the "data exchange thing" (can't remember how it was called), and in Gold in the Time Machine.
It didn't worked obviusly.
So the day after that Pokemon Gold started to act strangly. At first, the player was freeze. I remember that my friend saved in the route above Vermillion City. He could rotate but not move.
Other minor glitches may had happened but I can't remember or I didn't noticed them, since the game wasn't mine and I was just a spectator.
After that the "CONTINUE" button disappeard and the cartdrige apparently lost his ability to save the game.

So… What do you think it triggered that?
It is possible that a deletion of every data could have fixed the issue?

Pokemon Sapphire never had any problem since then. The link cable didn't worked properly after that, but maybe that wasn't caused by this experiment.
I tried to look online but I couldn't find anyone experienced this…

Re: 3rd gen to 2nd gen connected and strange result

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-06-29 15:54:42
Very interesting o.O

I might try this out. Which languages were the Gold and Pokémon Sapphire?

Date: 2016-06-29 18:58:33

Very interesting o.O

I might try this out. Which languages were the Gold and Pokémon Sapphire?

Both italian!

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-30 15:13:15
I'd say it looks like the Gold cart's SRAM battery was running out, or stuff like that. I don't think it can be related to the exchange, however I could confirm if you told me if the attendant allowed you to enter the Cable Club or if she told you that nothing was connected.

Date: 2016-12-08 10:24:45

I'd say it looks like the Gold cart's SRAM battery was running out, or stuff like that. I don't think it can be related to the exchange, however I could confirm if you told me if the attendant allowed you to enter the Cable Club or if she told you that nothing was connected.

So sorry for necroposting, but I actually didn't noticed this answer before. If I remember correctly, in pokemon gold the attendant didn't let the player go in, but in sapphire I entered the room.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-12-10 05:29:02
Since Gold didn't accept any data, the side effects on Gold were completely unrelated, and consequences of the battery dying.

Link Cable data cannot affect any of the games unless both games choose to save after the attendant says "okay, ya wanna save ?"