Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Park Ball odd effect Gold/Silver - Page 1

Park Ball odd effect Gold/Silver

Posted by: bestgoldglitche
Date: 2016-07-14 02:30:46
I'm not entirely sure what's going on with this glitch, it doesn't seem to harmful or anything, but I couldn't find any information on it.  What I did is use the Park Ball in Pokemon Gold outside of a bug catching contest, on a gameboy, not an emulator.

Using the Park Ball seems to have corrupted the graphics momentarily, but when the Pokemon breaks free, or the battle ends or something, the graphics go back to normal.  For a moment it looks pretty glitchy, but it's only a flash.

How I got the Park Ball in the first place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpfgOVfGVTo

I altered the PC items a bit:
One extra Fresh Water (this makes it so you change the hold item of your first party Pokemon instead of index number)
Replace HM07 with SQUIRTBOTTLE

Once you use the glitch a couple times, go throw a park ball in a wild battle, the screen should freak out a little, and then it goes back to normal.

My question for all of you who could / would try this on an emulator is what's actually happening, and if it's anything of note?

Re: Park Ball odd effect Gold/Silver

Posted by: TheUnReturned
Date: 2016-07-14 05:24:02

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with this glitch, it doesn't seem to harmful or anything, but I couldn't find any information on it.  What I did is use the Park Ball in Pokemon Gold outside of a bug catching contest, on a gameboy, not an emulator.

Using the Park Ball seems to have corrupted the graphics momentarily, but when the Pokemon breaks free, or the battle ends or something, the graphics go back to normal.  For a moment it looks pretty glitchy, but it's only a flash.

How I got the Park Ball in the first place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpfgOVfGVTo

I altered the PC items a bit:
One extra Fresh Water (this makes it so you change the hold item of your first party Pokemon instead of index number)
Replace HM07 with SQUIRTBOTTLE

Once you use the glitch a couple times, go throw a park ball in a wild battle, the screen should freak out a little, and then it goes back to normal.

My question for all of you who could / would try this on an emulator is what's actually happening, and if it's anything of note?

Did you used the wrong video?
It didn't explain how'd you get the park ball
But anyway…
I'll have to make a guess since I do not play GS
On no picture or whatever, I'll have to guess that it'll keep corrupting the graphics addresses with some values until it find the value of "Pokemon break free"
But if a Pokemon never break free, the address of "Pokemon break free" will never be executed, thus the corruption keeps on going
But when it break free, the address with be called, thus ending the corruption
Purely my guess since we do not know anything about what happened
And I don't think console and emulator will differ

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-14 14:07:05
Unreturned, this seems unlikely, although I can have misunderstood you.

Posted by: bestgoldglitche
Date: 2016-07-14 20:44:05

Did you used the wrong video?
It didn't explain how'd you get the park ball

No, I just altered the items as I described and it gives you the park ball as a hold item of your first pokemon

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-09-19 18:54:38
This is expected behavior. Game Freak didn't think of using the Park Ball as a regular Poké Ball so using it like that glitches up the graphics temporarily.

Here's video footage of the bug.