Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Time Capsule glitch. - Page 1

Time Capsule glitch.

Posted by: Exegutt0r
Date: 2016-08-27 00:17:52
If sending a glitch pokemon with the index number of a current gen 2 pokemon (lets say scizor), to gen 2, would you get a scizor in gen 2?

EDIT: Well this is odd. Look at index No. 31, 32, 50, 52, 56, 61, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, and much more. Guess thread closed.

Re: Time Capsule glitch.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-27 09:08:33
Whatever's listed as the GSC equivalent on the Big List is what you'll recieve upon trading that index from RBY. So yes. Oh, and remember, Dex order means fucking nothing.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-08-27 09:57:37
Well I wouldn't say that, because if I remember well, there's an error trap preventing this, no? A Pokémon will not be sent into 2G game if:

- The Pokémon is an unstable hybrid
- The Pokémon's level is above 100
- The types of the Pokémon are not what they are supposed to be

So if your glitch Pokémon has the same types than its 2G real Pokémon counterpart, then it will work but otherwise I'm really not sure.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-08-27 10:18:16
@up When it comes to typing, Magnemite and Magneton are the only exceptions, because they gained the Steel type in Gen 2.

Date: 2016-08-27 11:59:18

Well I wouldn't say that, because if I remember well, there's an error trap preventing this, no? A Pokémon will not be sent into 2G game if:

So if your glitch Pokémon has the same types than its 2G real Pokémon counterpart, then it will work but otherwise I'm really not sure.

Then couldn't you use 8f to change it into a dual type? Example, remoraid. You could make your glitchmon with its index a water/water type and a lvl 100?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-08-27 12:07:07

If sending a glitch pokemon with the index number of a current gen 2 pokemon (lets say scizor), to gen 2, would you get a scizor in gen 2?

EDIT: Well this is odd. Look at index No. 31, 32, 50, 52, 56, 61, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, and much more. Guess thread closed.

Pokémon from Red/Blue/Yellow convert to Gold/Silver/Crystal Pokémon depending on the equivalents in the table you linked (or the table which can be found here).

This works because Generation II uses a conversion table to convert a Generation I index number to a Generation II index number; and for glitch Pokémon the result isn't simply the Pokémon with the equivalent ID in Generation II (so an " A"/"4 4" (hex:BF) will not become a Sunkern (hex:BF); instead it becomes a Chikorita (hex:98)).

The conversion table extends to 250 entries that bring up the same Pokémon for each side, with the 250th entry as hex:34, which means hex:FA becomes hex:34 Missingno and vice versa; but it used to be unknown what would happen for trading Pokémon beyond hex:FA.

Háčky did some research into it and found that ostensibly, the table also extends up to 252 entries but this marks the end of Pokémon always becoming the Pokémon they originally were when traded back from Generation II to Generation I.

Entries 251 and 252 both become hex:CA (Wobbuffet) in Generation II, but when you try to trade a Wobbuffet back the game reads it as 94/' B' (hex:F1). Háčky notes entries 253-256 use unintended Gen I>Gen II conversions which when traded from Generation I to Generation II depend on data from beyond the table.

When traded back, the game attempts to find the Generation II ID in the table (and beyond) and use the offset it was found modulo 256 as the Pokémon (so if Celebi hex:FA appeared as say the 600th entry from the beginning of the table, it would become a Dratini (hex:58 or hex:258%100). For trading back Celebi in G/S and Egg in G/S/C, the game cannot find a hex:FB for the remainder of the ROM bank; meaning that the Pokémon they become is hard to predict and depends on RAM (but is manipulable with arbitrary code execution).

In relation to trading glitch Pokémon from Generation I to Generation II, it will indeed work if the Pokémon is not an unstable hybrid above level 100, and has matching Generation I and Generation II types.

The following glitch Pokémon can be transferred to Generation II without an 'abnormal Pokémon' message:

P ($CB) shares the Pokédex number of Pidgeotto in Red/Blue and becomes Noctowl.
O PkMn4 X ($CF) shares the Pokédex number of Beedrill in Red/Blue and becomes Ariados.
N g ¥ ($F8) shares the Pokédex number of Rattata in Red/Blue and becomes Snubbull.
4. . ($C5) shares the Pokédex number of Golduck in Yellow and becomes Totodile.
($D4) shares the Pokédex number of Snorlax in Yellow and becomes Cleffa.
B ($D7) shares the Pokédex number of Pidgey in Yellow and becomes Togetic.
Z ($E5) shares the Pokédex number of Persian in Yellow and becomes Aipom.
p ($F5) shares the Pokédex number of Snorlax in Yellow and becomes Dunsparce.

Additionally, the Fossil and Ghost Missingno. take the stats of a previous Pokémon (when encountered either the first Pokémon in the party or the last, I cannot remember); a Rock/Ground Kabutops Fossil Missingno. may become Pupitar in Generation II. If you use arbitrary code execution to modify a Pokémon's typing, it is possible to trade it to Generation II. This can be done by modifying D170 and D171 to one of the indices here. This will not change the stats on the summary screen but the Pokémon effectively has its type changed and becomes tradeable to Generation II if the types match its Generation II equivalent.

Then couldn't you use 8f to change it into a dual type? Example, remoraid. You could make your glitchmon with its index a water/water type and a lvl 100?

Yes, you can change the hex:50 Missingno. to be a Water/Water type with 8F/ws m and transfer it over to Generation II as a 'normal' Remoraid that way.

Date: 2016-08-27 12:11:41
Well thank you very much torchickens for answering my question! I may do some testing seeing what turns into what. If i do this, ill make a list showing.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-08-27 12:16:31

Well thank you very much torchickens for answering my question! I may do some testing seeing what turns into what. If i do this, ill make a list showing.

You're very welcome! :)

The conversions are all already documented here and here sadly, but you can get seemingly random Pokémon if you try to trade Celebi from Gold/Silver to Generation I or Egg from Gold/Silver/Crystal to Generation I, although some of the random Pokémon may repeat.

Date: 2016-08-27 12:27:02
Oh well. Guess ill stick with the premade lists. Thanks though.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-08-27 12:29:53
It has already been documented that Celebi can turn into a Mew this way here.
But don't give up, you can always have fun with "Transforming Celebi's", and possibly even get all 151 Pokémon in gen 1 with this method.

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-08-27 13:15:36

But don't give up, you can always have fun with "Transforming Celebi's", and possibly even get all 151 Pokémon in gen 1 with this method.

That's not time capsule. That's arbitrary code execution using the coin case. It's already easier to get all 151 in the original R/B/Y with 8F.

Date: 2016-08-27 13:21:07

That's not time capsule. That's arbitrary code execution using the coin case. It's already easier to get all 151 in the original R/B/Y with 8F.

I may think he is referring to the johto guard glitch and by sending pokemon BACK to r/b/y.