Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Key Item pocket corruption effects - Page 1

Key Item pocket corruption effects

Posted by: naf102
Date: 2016-08-30 13:37:21
So I was playing around with the Coin Case ACE glitch when I ran a code that corrupted the Key Items pocket. It seemed to produce an effect similar to the Item Underflow glitch in Gen I. Some of the effects include:

No more Coin Case (I think CANCEL replaced it)
Key Items pocket being filled with ? x0
Not being able to use items registered for Select (It says "An item may be registered for use….)
Sometimes Balls pocket being filled with Teru-Sama
Not being able to use the Magnet Train (the game doesn't think I have a Pass when I do)
Random items in the Key Items pocket (may depend on location because different cities have different items in the pocket)
If you perform it in Elm's Lab it plays the entire sequence for when he gives you a starter (????)
Some wild pokemon are ?????

Weird stuff……. I'm playing around with this more to see if I can find more stuff I'll post screenshots later I'm doing this from my Wii's emulator.

Re: Key Item pocket corruption effects

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-08-30 14:13:43
You not being able to use the Magnet Train is because CANCEL (FF) stops the game from reading more data, and so it thinks you don't have the Pass.
If you move it to be before Cancel then it will probably detect it.

Date: 2016-08-30 14:22:08

You not being able to use the Magnet Train is because CANCEL (FF) stops the game from reading more data, and so it thinks you don't have the Pass.
If you move it to be before Cancel then it will probably detect it.
I actually can't do that because CANCEL is at the very top of the list.

Date: 2016-08-30 14:28:35
That's bad then, sorry.
If you can somehow change the first item to a non-FF item then there will be progress. For now, use Fly to go to New Bark Town and then use Surf to get to the Kanto map, then Fly again, that's what i do.

Date: 2016-08-30 14:46:34

That's bad then, sorry.
If you can somehow change the first item to a non-FF item then there will be progress. For now, use Fly to go to New Bark Town and then use Surf to get to the Kanto map, then Fly again, that's what i do.
I actually corrupted the pocket on purpose just to see the effects it had on the game but I forgot to use a state and it's stuck like this. That's why I'm playing around with the glitch now

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-30 17:33:36
Hex editing is your friend. Use it. :P
Oh, and recalculate the 'sums by loading it in a save editor then immediately saving.

(Wait, this really needed said? Wow…)

Date: 2016-09-01 01:40:30
I played around with this glitch even more and I realized that some of the exact same items that are in your PC are in the Key Items pocket. I found that if you deposit all of your TM/HM's in the PC and go to the Key Items pocket and use one of them, they can produce some interesting effects. They vary based on what TM you try to use. Some of them are:

HM07: Glitches up the graphics. If used a second time, it glitches them even more. A third time crashes the game.
HM06: Takes you to a Glitch Dimension.
HM01: Causes the game to display "Do you want to give HM01 a nickname?" If you select Yes, it brings you to where you can nickname a ?????. When you're finished nicknaming it, the game crashes. If you select No, the game crashes.
TM27: Blanks out the screen for a brief moment and returns to the Key Items pocket.
TM08: Triggers an encounter with a seemingly random Pokemon (glitch Pokemon as well) If you try to catch it, it says "The trainer blocked the ball. Don't be a theif" then the game crashes. If you faint it, the the game crashes. If you run, the game crashes.

These are just what I found so far. I obviously don't have every TM in the game so there can be a lot more. Who knows? Maybe this can be another way to execute code? I wish someone can examine the save file but again I'm doing this from my Wii and I cannot obtain the save file as of yet. Plus I do not have access to a memory viewer.

Also if this has been found already, It's not really well documented :/

Date: 2016-09-01 07:59:56
You can access PC items from your bag because they are placed not far from your Key Items, i think that you can access other pockets like this. I already knew that.

Date: 2016-09-01 10:52:53

You can access PC items from your bag because they are placed not far from your Key Items, i think that you can access other pockets like this. I already knew that.
Oh.That means the other item pockets can get corrupted too if one of them is. Earlier I attempted  to move the Key Items to my PC from the bag thinking that it would save all of the Key items, but I was greeted with the PC being glicthed too. If I were to attempt to move items in and out of the Balls pocket from the Key Items pocket, I'm assuming that that would get corrupted too.