Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Obtaining the GS Ball wihout ACE in JP Crystal - Page 1

Obtaining the GS Ball wihout ACE in JP Crystal

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-03 12:17:11
Remember the WRAM (or SRAM possibly) glitch in Japanese Crystal?
Well, i managed to get the GS Ball for free with it.
Just follow these steps:
1.Completely wipe your save file (remove the battery and make it lose all the data or delete the .sa1 file if using VBA) or just use a  "brand new" cart.
2.Play until Goldenrod.
3.Stop right before the door to the PCC.
4.Save the game (don't reset).
5.Enter the PokéCom Center.
6.Ether go forward, then backward, or just go to the left door mat.
7.Go thru the dialogue.
8.Profit!
Notify me if anything is wrong, these are the steps i followed.

Re: Obtaining the GS Ball wihout ACE in JP Crystal

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-03 13:07:14

Remember the WRAM (or SRAM possibly) glitch in Japanese Crystal?
Well, i managed to get the GS Ball for free with it.
Just follow these steps:
1.Completely wipe your save file (remove the battery and make it lose all the data or delete the .sa1 file if using VBA) or just use a  "brand new" cart.
2.Play until Goldenrod.
3.Stop right before the door to the PCC.
4.Save the game (don't reset).
5.Enter the PokéCom Center.
6.Ether go forward, then backward, or just go to the left door mat.
7.Go thru the dialogue.
8.Profit!
Notify me if anything is wrong, these are the steps i followed.

Oh my goodness, that's wonderful! Nice find. :)

So it seems you can get $A800 glitches but also the GS Ball.

I wonder if you can just keep doing playthroughs on a dead battery Crystal cartridge until the SRAM data gives you a GS Ball, and quickly back-up the save and put it on a working save cartridge with Mega Memory Card.

What console/emulator did you use for the glitch, Charmy? I remember that BGB seemed to randomize initial SRAM values if no save file exists.

Date: 2016-09-03 13:23:48
I think that it works on normal JP Crystal because TheZZAZZGlitch's Bing Crystal didn't has only text changes, and the fact that i randomized it also doesn't matter.
I will test on normal JP Crystal and if it works then $$$PROFIT$$$.
I used GBC.emu Free (a GBC emulator for Android) but i will test on VBA soon.
Ok testing right now.
Progress:Falkner defeated.
Well, for some reason i seem to remember field items pretty good and picked up everything i needed.
Could you please do this for me because IRL kicks in and i can't do that today, also, I have school (goddam you America why you need to have 1 more month) so I don't know if I will be able to finish this.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-03 14:03:39
Sure! I'm testing it right now on my dead battery Japanese Crystal without touching the save that previously died. I will save before Goldenrod City and if it doesn't work will try it again a few more times.

Edit: The first try the PokéCommunications Center worked properly and I didn't get a GS Ball or noticeable glitchy behaviour.

Date: 2016-09-04 07:03:14
Maybe you need to fight a specific trainer then.. I heard that fighting a specific trainer will prevent any glitchyness.
I will give you the ROM i used if you want.
I can't do this today because of me still making randomized AS (i almost randomized it to it's maximum).

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-09-19 18:43:37
Well, all that the glitch needs to do is change the value of address 0xA000 to 0x0B. The problem is in defining a reproducible and reliable method, assuming the behavior isn't random (which it probably is).

Date: 2016-09-20 13:58:41

This reminds me of a rumor back in early 2001, shortly after the release of Japanese Crystal but before the official introduction of GS Ball (the actual distribution took place in May, as I remembered): the rumor, which was never verified, stated that some lucky players received GS Ball from Nurse Joy on their first visit to PCC.

This rumor may be true because I recall being given the GS Ball after a visit to the PCC when I played the game about half a decade ago. Unfortunately, I do not have the files from that period. It's something that I most likely dismissed as an emulation quirk back then.

So it's possible on non-randomized non-romhack Crystal.
Anyway I'll try all (or at least most) values and see if anything interesting happens.
I can give a save where i got the GS Ball this method so…

Ok, here's a WIP list for what I got
01-GS Ball event
02-GS Ball event
03-GS Ball event
04-GS Ball event
05-GS Ball event
06-GS Ball event
07-GS Ball event
08-GS Ball event
09-GS Ball event
0A-GS Ball event
0B-GS Ball event
0C-GS Ball event
0D-GS Ball event
0E-GS Ball event
0F-GS Ball event
I'm not joking, that seriously what I got.