Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Potential method to obtain ????? I'm not sure has been discussed before - Page 1

Potential method to obtain ????? I'm not sure has been discussed before

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-04-13 05:17:22
As is known, the Japanese and English versions of Pokémon games cause communication errors when linked together.

However, something that got me wondering is it possible that we could abuse this to obtain a ?????, hence making the bad clone glitch easier for people who don't have Stadium 2 or don't want to use Coin Case/glitch TM/glitch Pokédex mode arbitrary code execution?

While I was linking up a Japanese Gold with an English Gold one of the versions interpreted some of the Pokémon as ?????. Sadly I couldn't trade it as it was deemed to be abnormal.

Thanks to the work of Háčky however, we know that if a Pokémon is not a hybrid, is not over level 100 and has matching types it can be traded without being interpreted as abnormal. I don't know for sure if this applies to ?????, but I seem to remember it does apply so we could potentially trade over the ?????.

Re: Potential method to obtain ????? I'm not sure has been discussed before

Posted by: baconpants
Date: 2017-04-13 14:04:58
This is really interesting! If you can get it to trade back and forth, I believe it would be a lot easier to get it than cloning repeatedly and the like, and save lots of time! I hope you make progress with this discovery!!

Date: 2017-04-13 14:10:21

This is really interesting! If you can get it to trade back and forth, I believe it would be a lot easier to get it than cloning repeatedly and the like, and save lots of time! I hope you make progress with this discovery!!

Thanks bacon! I agree :), it would be a great alternative even though you'd need a Link Cable and a Japanese Generation II game.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-04-14 03:28:54
I don't think it has been studied before and should be possible, indeed. Do you know if it works between English and non-English European games?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-04-14 08:55:05
The trade should work, IIRC the problem with JP and non-JP is the differing data structures (for example, non-JP versions' longer Trainer name means the OT field is larger than in JP).
Plus, data structures are the same between US and EU : no problems.

Date: 2017-04-16 18:58:45
Now confirmed :)

You just need two(?) newly started English Gold/Japanese Crystal or Gold games, with the English Gold having just the starter Pokémon and the Japanese version having six Pokémon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fvurV8KPEo

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-04-17 12:09:46
Also, I suggested that the opponents party data on the JP version is shifted back by four bytes.
That's the reason the JP game shows that they have five Pokémon in their party.