Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

"The Ghost of Glitch City" - Page 1

"The Ghost of Glitch City"

Posted by: Scaredschwifty
Date: 2017-09-09 06:33:46
Hi there!

I'm going to be completely honest - im fairly new to looking at all of the coding behind the older Pokemon games, so excuse me if i sound rather uneducated (I am, but am trying to learn).

None the less, i came across this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgY52E5qMEo)

To summarise, the user walks out of bounds (using codes, not by any external glitches) in the bedroom from when you first start out the game.  He does some rather specific movements in order to reach this glitch trainer (and eventually fights later in the video but i don't have any questions regarding that aspect).

(I haven't looked too much into how glitch trainers work, so again, excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject!)

The questions i wanted to ask were ;

Again, i can't apologise enough for not knowing too much about this stuff - i attempted to learn around myself but i don't think i've been searching in the right places. Answers would be greatly appreciated!

Re: "The Ghost of Glitch City"

Posted by: 0ErrorYT
Date: 2017-12-11 23:41:54
Auto input is what's used in stuff like the DUDE catching tutorial. It's controlled by a few addresses. Due to the trainer being a glitch, it will take most of its data from unrelated memory addresses, (including what she says). In the video, you can see the trainer class is a glitch taking some data from the move descriptions or TM descriptions (Zap cannon comes to mind) and in the video the player uses a GS code to change the trainer class to a valid one in order to fight her. Back to auto input, due to it taking data from unrelated memory addresses, the battle may have been flagged as a auto input battle, or the memory address corrupted by the glitch textboxes. Hope I answered some of your questions  :)

Posted by: Cello2WC
Date: 2018-02-12 18:02:46
Hey! I'm the guy that made the video you linked. It looks like 0ErrorYT answered most of your questions, but to answer the first one: the path I used was just the first one I found that didn't crash. The landmarks were pretty easy to remember so I put it in the video, but there are plenty of other paths that don't crash. Like later on I started walking over to the barb guy and then down, but that path seems less stable.

(I'm pretty new to this whole forum thing so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong)

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2018-03-01 11:07:37
Let me ask you Cello, were you using VBA for the video? As I can't seem to be able to replicate the effect on a any other emulators.

Posted by: Cello2WC
Date: 2018-04-04 18:59:55
Yeah, I was on VBA. I normally use BGB but I was trying to replicate this specific effect and it seems like it only happens in VBA. There was some text in the video where i mention this briefly but it was during the intro cutscene so I don't blame you if you skipped it.