Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Pokémon Gold/Silver Virtual Console glitch confirmation - Page 2

Re: Pokémon Gold/Silver Virtual Console glitch confirmation

Posted by: forsyz
Date: 2017-09-21 16:21:00

yes it does i tested it coincase and cloning do work. when you press print or try to print your pokemon team with that guy in that house it doesn't let you use yes. mystery gift also does work to.

Awesome. Thanks for testing it on VC! Did you test just the Glitch Dimension? Hopefully arbitrary code execution works as well.

ace,Glitch Dimension and *which move?PP of all work have not tried out the other ones yet. not surprising because they did not fix any of the glitches in rby vc.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-09-21 17:13:32

yes it does i tested it coincase and cloning do work. when you press print or try to print your pokemon team with that guy in that house it doesn't let you use yes. mystery gift also does work to.

Awesome. Thanks for testing it on VC! Did you test just the Glitch Dimension? Hopefully arbitrary code execution works as well.

ace,Glitch Dimension and *which move?PP of all work have not tried out the other ones yet. not surprising because they did not fix any of the glitches in rby vc.

Yay! Thanks. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow (in the UK) morning then. :)

Edit: Now it's past midnight the games are out here. As expected ACE worked perfectly without a problem.

Do note if you want to import your save files with JK's save manager then depending on your emulator you exported the save from you'll have to either delete bytes to fix the file size and fix the checksums (see https://twitter.com/mattyoukhana_/status/910875545390473217) or if the save file is exactly $8000 bytes, append the following data to make it end at $800F in a hex editor: 05 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 7B 72 6B 86 1F 00 00 00

Posted by: DoubleNegative
Date: 2017-09-21 19:00:16
Does time capsule trading work?

Date: 2017-09-21 19:13:27

Does time capsule trading work?

I haven't tried it myself but I'm 99.9% sure it does, and it's officially advertised as so.

In addition, these titles are compatible with the Time Capsule function, allowing players to Link Trade Pokémon between the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Gold Version or Pokémon Silver Version and the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Blue Version, or Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition in Pokémon Centres within the games.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Game-Boy-Color/Pokemon-Gold-Version-266076.html

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2017-09-21 22:56:18
I haven't tried it yet, but according to theSlayer, you can't soft reset using the button combination while the game is saving.

Date: 2017-09-21 23:17:05

I haven't tried it yet, but according to theSlayer, you can't soft reset using the button combination while the game is saving.

That's interesting. I've just confirmed it on the VC version as well, but after further testing on my English Gold cartridge on a Game Boy Advance SP it seems you can't use the button combination to reset the game either.

The same also applies to Red/Blue (both VC and cartridge) with the buttons disabled until the first character of your name in "(PLAYER) saved the game!" is printed. As for Yellow something similar applies for VC and cartridge; you may just have to wait until the "S" in "Saving…" is printed before you can reset during the saving session but (at least) most of the actual saving is done before that.

Posted by: forsyz
Date: 2017-09-22 00:37:40

Yay! Thanks. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow (in the UK) morning then. :)

Edit: Now it's past midnight the games are out here. As expected ACE worked perfectly without a problem.

Do note if you want to import your save files with JK's save manager then depending on your emulator you exported the save from you'll have to either delete bytes to fix the file size and fix the checksums (see https://twitter.com/mattyoukhana_/status/910875545390473217) or if the save file is exactly $8000 bytes, append the following data to make it end at $800F in a hex editor: 05 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 7B 72 6B 86 1F 00 00 00
if your saves from the vc inject versions you don't need to do this

Posted by: theSLAYER
Date: 2017-09-22 00:56:38
I also wanna confirm I was able to swap in an ENG Crystal, and the trading works!
Swapping in JPN Crystal broke the VC and 3DS.

Also, cloning glitch works, by using "reset" button at the bottom screen of the VC menu.

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2017-09-22 12:48:59
Apparently, HP bars are not hidden during move animations, which can have some strange side-effects.

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2017-09-23 01:20:40
I instantly noticed the same thing as soon as I started playing Silver on the VC (where HP bars aren't hidden during move animations). I wonder why that was changed?

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-09-24 16:14:43
SnorlaxMonster recently pointed out that the Virtual Console manual mentions that Pokémon holding Mail are not allowed in the Time Capsule, which is confirmed by the English Crystal disassembly. As this has been somewhat overlooked, can the Time Capsule exploit be used to bypass this additional requirement?

Also, a trigger in SPECIAL suggests that the Mystery Gift delivery man's appearance relies on a flag set by receiving Poké Balls from Kurt. How exactly and is the player informed about this in-game?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2017-09-24 17:01:02
According to the disassembly, it can not (the Time Capsule exploit only bypasses the species check).

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-09-24 17:29:13
The Johto Guard Glitch cannot be used to smuggle mail into Gen I. (Below is a detailed explanation using the disassembly, but I didn't test it in-game)

The function that checks for Gen I compatibility is called SpecialTimeCapsuleCompatibility (https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/blob/f0209d6ed6a0cd0e759dff49bdfe4d8171229c29/engine/link.asm#L2054-L2133).
It's basically composed of three loops which check one part of the compatibility each.
The first loop parses species, and this is how it returns : until it encounters a $FF species.
The second and third loop instead use the counter counting the number of Pokémon in the party.

Thus, only the Pokémon species check is affected by the Johto Guard Trick. Quite a shame, but oh well.

As for the Mystery Gift trigger being tied to Kurt, a quick search about the flag turns up that for some reason it's also used by a bunch of other triggers. So I believe something else is going on there, probably that this flag is used as a temporary by different scripts ?
I don't really know what's going on there, but here are the elements I found :
- The delivery guy is directly tied to the mystery gift flag. (I don't know how for sure)
- When the delivery guy appears, he sets Kurt's flag again.

Posted by: ajxpk
Date: 2017-09-24 18:41:48
Wow! Great discovery! I didn't knew that. The combination Mystery Gift, deliveryguy and Pokémon Center 2F made me almost think like this is a GS Ball Event. Appearently the Officer Sprite was used for the deliveryguy here.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2017-09-25 22:50:31
I tried cloning a Bellsprout about an hour ago in Silver. Instead, the game cloned the previous Pokemon I sent to the box, which was a Level 8 Hoothoot. It also started me at the last spot I saved, rather than having me be next to the computer. I didn't reset the game via the menu, instead I pressed the home button and closed the game. I haven't tested out using the other method yet, I was pretty upset that I had to look for another Bellsprout to trade to get Onix. :P It took me a while to find the darn thing…