Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Is possible to perform Celebi glitch in Italian VC on Pokémon Silver? - Page 1

Is possible to perform Celebi glitch in Italian VC on Pokémon Silver?

Posted by: Lory94
Date: 2017-10-03 13:43:19
I'm able to perform Celebi Glitch in the emulator but now, I own the VC of Pokémon Silver and I'm curious if is possible to perform this glitch here.

Thanks.

Re: Is possible to perform Celebi glitch in Italian VC on Pokémon Silver?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-10-03 19:04:08
VC is approximately as accurate as VBA is. So as long as you don't need exact emulation to run it (or SRAM execution) you'll be fine.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-10-04 04:43:41
I would not say that, Parzival. VC emulation is lame indeed but it's not comparable to classical VBA as, at least, glitches based on the Echo RAM can be used in VC games (TM ACE). Actually, ACE is easier with VC since it doesn't read invalid opcodes.

Anyway, even though there's no report of some trying too, there is no apparent reason why Bad Clone-related glitches would not work in VC games :)

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-10-04 06:21:58
I would actually say that. The VC's emulation is indeed at the same level as VBA - even VBA does things the VC cannot be bothered to do.
Then, remember that the VC is just an emulator. Saying "VC ignores invalid opcodes so it's easier for ACE" doesn't make sense. Imagine Nintendo ported VBA to 3DS, added Echo RAM, and used that as the VC. It would still be a crappy emulator.
Point is, since it's an official Nintendo emulator, everybody seems to think the everything happening under the VC has an "official behavior" seal.
I very strongly disagree with this.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-10-04 09:27:04

Point is, since it's an official Nintendo emulator, everybody seems to think the everything happening under the VC has an "official behavior" seal.
I very strongly disagree with this.

Exactly, any bugs specific to the Virtual Console are mostly a side effect of how Nintendo decided to program the emulator. Unless the behaviors are related to the patches they made such as the move animations affecting the battle HUD differently from the Game Boy releases, they're nothing more than unintentional outcomes.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-10-04 09:41:22
My point wasn't exactly to say that VC is a better or worst emulator than VBA is, and when I say "actually, ACE is easier with VC since it doesn't read invalid opcodes", this is not pointing an argument in favor of VC but rather a side remark regarding the fact that it is compatible with Echo RAM-based glitches. It makes exactly the sense that it makes: it is indeed easier to do ACE using VC, and still that is because VC is crappy.

The sentence as Parzival said it tended to say that VBA and VC had the same issues, so I just pointed out that although both are lame, they don't have the same issues.  That's it! I'm not familiar with glitches that cannot be done in VC because of its issues (if there are none, VC would be, "Pokémon glitchwise speaking", a better shot) but I can testify that unlike with VBA, Echo RAM-based glitches works with VC.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-10-04 09:58:34
Oh, my reply was to show my agreement with ISSOtm in that specific point, but I agree with you too, Krys3000! :)

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-10-04 17:08:08
Oh, yeah sure 'bout VC and VBA not being exactly the same. I hate them both with burning passion, though :D
Also VC works right enough that it doesn't break any glitches afaik (the worst that could happen, I think, was if a glitch ran code from SRAM). As far as the other side is concerned, SatoMew pretty much nailed the point : they are emulation errors.