Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Friend Ball glitch - Page 1

Friend Ball glitch

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2017-10-04 01:35:14
Someone on Twitter pointed out to me a bug documented in the Crystal disassembly that I had not heard of before involving the Friend Ball.

Apparently, when a Pokémon is caught in a Friend Ball and sent to the PC, the game overwrites the friendship of the first Pokémon in the box, rather than the friendship of the caught Pokémon.

Is this something that was known (outside of the disassembly)? It sounds like another one of the Apricorn Balls has a bug in Generation II.

Re: Friend Ball glitch

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-10-04 05:03:07
This apparently doesn't work in french Crystal, as I was unable to notice a change in my first Pokémon's happiness.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-10-04 06:39:35
The bug still is in the source of French Pokémon Crystal, though ; the offending write is in the ROM at 3:6B39. (The SRAM addresses are all exactly the same)

Date: 2017-10-04 08:31:02
Actually the glitch doesn't even work in english games.

Yes, the first Pokémon of the active box will receive hex:C8 as happiness, but that's normal since that Pokémon will be the one you caught.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-10-04 17:07:36
Yes !

If you had no Pokémon in your current box prior to catching the Pokémon !

Date: 2017-10-04 17:25:33
No, the Pokémon always gets on top and receive the happiness boost. There doesn't seem to be any glitch here, or I don't get what we're talking about  :P

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-10-04 18:51:57
In Generation II, the Pokémon Storage System always puts new Pokémon at the top (slot 1) and moves the Pokémon already on that slot to slot 2 and so forth (maximum of 30 slots per Box in Japanese versions, 20 in Western and Korean versions).

Video: https://tknk.io/7QML

As to friendship, I'm not seeing any bug either (I used the latest PKHeX to check my Japanese Crystal save file). A Pokémon caught with a Friend Ball will have a friendship value of 200 after being sent to the Box and the Pokémon previously in slot 1 will keep its current friendship value when moved to slot 2.

Date: 2017-10-05 04:32:07
Thanks SatoMew! Do you have any idea why do japanese can store 10 more Pokémon per box?

Anyway, maybe someone can correct the disassembly then. Someone probably was under the impression that a caught Pokémon goes in the last slot and thought this function was glitched.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-10-05 08:35:05

Thanks SatoMew! Do you have any idea why do japanese can store 10 more Pokémon per box?

I don't know why it was changed but, in Generations I and II:Generation III was the first to not have these differences between regional releases.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-10-07 04:41:07
Japanese nicknames (both trainer and Pokemon) are much shorter, so they're able to put more Pokemon into a box.

Gen 3 has enough RAM space to store all storage boxes anyway so box sizes can stay the same for all versions.