Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Force-Encounter address for G/S? - Page 1

Pokemon Force-Encounter address for G/S?

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2017-10-12 13:32:29
In Pokemon R/B, there is address $D059, which when set to a non-zero value, forces an encounter with the corresponding species index that the address is set to. Is there a similar address for Gold and Silver?

By the way, I keep hearing that you must "fix the stack" when making ACE codes for Gen 2. How does one accomplish this?

Re: Pokemon Force-Encounter address for G/S?

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-10-15 04:52:21
1. I don't think there's any address as all wild encounters are taken directly from ROM, and events that trigger battles also probably do this.
2.Simply save and reset the game.
(Someone confirm 1)

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-10-15 08:07:01
Address [tt]0xD059[/tt] in English Red and Blue corresponds to the [tt]wCurOpponent[/tt] function on the disassembly. A quick search for that name doesn't return an equivalent in the English Crystal disassembly. This doesn't necessarily mean that it's not possible, though.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-10-15 12:03:30
I checked a bit, and there doesn't seem to be a memory address that does what D059 does.
Wild battles are handled by map script, Trainer & scripted battles by directly calling StartBattle.

Maybe there's an entry point, but I doubt it.