Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Glitch Discovered in Crystal - Page 1

Glitch Discovered in Crystal

Posted by: greentyphlosion
Date: 2017-11-03 19:37:32
Did a runthrough of Crystal recently and tested something out of curiosity, with a surprising result.

In HGSS, if the player leaves the Dragon's Den using an Escape Rope before Clair gives them TM59 Dragon Pulse, she will give it to them in the gym instead. It is not possible to use an Escape Rope to exit the Dragon's Den in Crystal due to Clair approaching the player as soon as they exit the shrine, but it is possible to white out inside the shrine if all the player's Pokemon faint due to poison damage. This, I did.

Upon respawning outside the last Pokemon Centre used, I returned to the Blackthorn Gym where Clair tells the player "You kept me waiting!" and gives them TM24 Dragonbreath.

However, when I went into the Dragon's Den immediately after this to collect the gift Dratini, upon reaching the door of the shrine, Clair approaches the player and gives them TM24, as usual. So, by doing this, I wound up getting two copies.

A slightly convoluted process, but one worth doing.

Re: Glitch Discovered in Crystal

Posted by: Flameduck
Date: 2017-11-04 19:52:28
Mentioned this on Reddit, but this is the result of the Blackthorn Gym TM24 event being based on the "TM24 given" flag not being set at Dragon's Den, which happens if you have 99 TM24 in your bag. Seems to be a minor oversight of a rare scenario.

Surprisingly, unlike other gym leaders in this game but like RBY leaders, Clair has specific messages for if your bag is full (having 99 TM24) both at the Dragon's Den and at the gym.

I'm in the process of recording this Clair scenario now.
EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxSFHWvDeI
[size=1em]
[font=verdana]For other leaders like Falkner, it just gives a message saying "The TM Pocket is full…" after "PLAYER received TM31!", terminates the conversation, and lets you restart the conversation starting from the badge explanation, and get the TM later like RBY.[/font]
[/size]
[img]https://web.archive.org/web/20171105011340if_/https://i.imgur.com/uZRb9Ho.png[/img]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-11-04 20:06:06
This sounds interesting.

Thanks for sharing these finds greentyphlosion and Flameduck! :)

This makes me remember something from long ago. I attempted to obtain one of the key items when the key items pocket was full (normally impossible without glitches or a cheating device) and I think it ended up making it impossible to continue the game. However I've come to learn its very easy to have a false memory so some of these details may not be accurate, but I believe it happened in the Radio Tower during Team Rocket's invasion.

I think too the problem couldn't be solved by depositing key items in the PC; the game acted as if it had given me the key item despite a message that the pack was full, though I may be wrong.

Today I unfortunately can't fit in time just yet to get that far in the game without cheats (other than Rare Candies and hacking in key items for Pokémon to hold and take) but would like to try it sometime.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-11-04 20:30:05

EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxSFHWvDeI

Nice video! ^^

I feel it's so surprising, that regardless of the age of these games there are still so many curiosities (even those that aren't the derivative of an existing glitch) we keep on finding.

Posted by: Flameduck
Date: 2017-11-04 20:57:56
Thanks!

I also just thought of a reason why the contradictory scenario given by greentyphlosion wasn't accounted for. In Gold and Silver, Clair's event happens directly after you get the Dragon Fang. There's no time to do anything in between getting the Fang and giving the TM, so the Gym check for obtaining the TM shouldn't contradict anything normally.

But in Crystal, the Dragon Shrine was added. Clair gives you the badge inside it, but she gives you the TM when you leave it. The gym check wasn't changed to account for the new possibility of being able to white out, skipping Clair's Dragon's Den TM event, and going to the gym again. The Dragon's Den TM event still activates since it doesn't check the TM flag, because you shouldn't be able to have triggered the flag for the TM before the intended method of getting the TM.

tl;dr Seems like an oversight, existing flag check that worked in GS was not changed to account for Crystal's changes and possible skips

EDIT: Also, a call from Professor Elm occurred when I left Dragon's Den. Maybe whiting out and bypassing the call stops you from getting the Master Ball?

Also clarification: you can't actually use Dig or the Escape Rope in the relevant area of Dragon's Den (tested in Crystal) to begin with.

Date: 2017-11-05 05:33:24
Hey, thanks for this and posting the video!

EDIT: Also, a call from Professor Elm occurred when I left Dragon's Den. Maybe whiting out and bypassing the call stops you from getting the Master Ball?

Also clarification: you can't actually use Dig or the Escape Rope in the relevant area of Dragon's Den (tested in Crystal) to begin with.

When I whited out and respawned outside the Blackthorn Pokemon Centre, Elm phoned after I took a step, so it seems that they accounted for you fainting after getting the Rising Badge. Which is entirely possible, of course, as you don't have to beat any of the Trainers in the Dragon's Den before taking the quiz.

Date: 2020-03-25 18:45:03

Did a runthrough of Crystal recently and tested something out of curiosity, with a surprising result.

In HGSS, if the player leaves the Dragon's Den using an Escape Rope before Clair gives them TM59 Dragon Pulse, she will give it to them in the gym instead. It is not possible to use an Escape Rope to exit the Dragon's Den in Crystal due to Clair approaching the player as soon as they exit the shrine, but it is possible to white out inside the shrine if all the player's Pokemon faint due to poison damage. This, I did.

Upon respawning outside the last Pokemon Centre used, I returned to the Blackthorn Gym where Clair tells the player "You kept me waiting!" and gives them TM24 Dragonbreath.

However, when I went into the Dragon's Den immediately after this to collect the gift Dratini, upon reaching the door of the shrine, Clair approaches the player and gives them TM24, as usual. So, by doing this, I wound up getting two copies.

A slightly convoluted process, but one worth doing.

Reviving an old topic (soz) but I've just done a runthrough of Gold with maxed TMs courtesy of Evie's ACE box naming. I was curious to see if any interesting effect could be produced from the player being unable to accept TM24 from Clair in this version, but sadly not - she gives the player the TM, the game displays the standard "the TM pocket is full…" message, and the cutscene continues on as if it had been received. If the player returns to the gym, she will say "you have proven yourself to me" and award the TM.

I'm surprised that the developers thought ahead for this beyond-unlikely scenario, but my reward was a line of text you wouldn't otherwise get. So that's… something.