Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

G/S Beta Footage and Possible Remnants - Page 1

G/S Beta Footage and Possible Remnants

Posted by: Catstorm
Date: 2018-01-26 21:01:44
Hi, I've been doing some research on the history of Gold and Silver's development, specifically its demo version at Spaceworld 1997. Late last year, a lot of new footage of the game suddenly popped up that included some debug-like features and other interesting things.

I have a hard time with data mining and programming, so I was wondering if anyone knows if some of these behaviors or features are still hidden in the game somewhere, or if you have other thoughts on them.

Here is the footage in question.

-At 0:14, the player character sort of rapidly 'flies over' the Cut bush. This movement is specifically quicker than something you would get from using Walk Through Walls. I think that this is some sort of debug feature that lets the player traverse a map without needing HMs or compatible/valid party Pokemon…?

- 0:23 has some Growlithe statues. They're present in the disassembly for Crystal, in Sprout Tower's tileset, but I was unable to find them in Gold and Silver. Does anyone know for sure whether or not they are in Gold and Silver? (Also, there is a log in that same tileset. I don't recall a log being used anywhere in any Gen II game.)

- 0:34 - Meowth can't learn Sand-Attack, is there anything to suggest otherwise in the game data?

- 0:57 is the most important feature that I saw, and probably the one most likely to have a remnant in the final game - there are items within the item menu that function as folders for Poke Balls and TMs/HMs. Their description says "? (line break) ?". Could these be some of the dummied-out Teru-Samas/Kabichuus in the final game, since the item menu was completely redone? Like the skateboard item, could their programming still be intact somewhere?

Thank you for any input or feedback.