Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Glitch weather conditions - Page 1

Glitch weather conditions

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-02-23 17:09:20
I came across this code on our Pokémon Gold and Silver GameShark codes page:

01xxE8CB

(It was wrong at first as 01xxE9CB so I fixed it)

The available values are said to be:

Weather Mod
00 - Nothing
01 - Rain
02 - Sun
03 - Sandstorm
04 - Rain dying
05 - Sun fading
06 - Sandstorm fading
07 and up - nothing but lond delay after attack

However the effect described for 07 and up is just one effect, and it looks like there are more glitch weathers. Two of them so far have displayed an error code "(x)Df-" for its text every turn, with another resetting the game in a Glitch Dimension.

I wonder what other interesting glitch weather conditions exist?

Edit: I got weather effect 0x10 to execute FA57 in Echo RAM (in the party slot 1 data where a slide Pokémon could be)
Edit 2: 0x12 executed DEE0 as well (enemy 4 nickname slot 2), which is nice. But how could we force it to the other opponent using ACE when linked?

Re: Glitch weather conditions

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2018-02-24 10:42:29
Cool! It's always interesting to find new ACE vectors. This one requires ACE to be setup but it could be an interesting alternative to WPTM.

In Crystal, the corresponding address is $C70A. I wonder if glitch weather executes code also in this game, because if so, we could use it as a good source of ACE instead of using BC-ACE to set up WPTM.

PS: I've researched a lot RAM addresses using maps and disasm on G/S/C lately, to build the 2G Gameshark section of PRAMA. So I may want to add a lot of Gameshark codes to GCL's pages soon :)

Re: Glitch weather conditions

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-02-24 12:07:25
Thanks Krys and thanks for the address! :)

That's awesome, will look forward to seeing it. ^^

I have in mind if you could somehow set the weather in a link battle and convince the game that's the weather for both sides it could be a form of both arbitrary code execution and remote code execution, which could be used to create two player pong again. I don't know if you can do that though.