Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Are gen 2 "somewhat" glitched clones ok to keep? Can I breed them? - Page 1

Are gen 2 "somewhat" glitched clones ok to keep? Can I breed them?

Posted by: Lost-Paisley
Date: 2018-03-12 20:10:18
So I started playing Crystal VC and learned that the cloning glitch has more precision than in Gold/Silver.

I did it so I could have all 3 starters and managed to do it perfectly on the first go with Totodile (nicknamed "Dile"). However, my second attempt with Cyndaquil didn't go so well.
While Cyndaquil itself turned out ok, it ended up getting Totodile's nickname but was otherwise intact with no other issues. Totodile didn't get the same treatment:

https://i.imgur.com/2xyn5AR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nKAkWCE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QYj42iN.jpg

Totodile's nickname is glitched with my player's name at the end (Yuuki), but it's very short and doesn't lock up the game or anything if I use it in battle (the name appears as "?" in the party). The OT is "?", but other than that it's still a Totodile according to the game and has no other issues I'm aware of.

What I wanna know is, is this Totodile safe to keep? Could I potentially breed it and get a regular Totodile and get rid of it if I can't fix the garbled name?

I'm asking this because most people say that blank named clones or clones with strange names shouldn't be kept, but I really don't wanna keep cloning starters if I could just breed this Totodile for a regular one in the end or it simply has a glitched nickname (and I don't wanna give up my awesome ID number either). Is there an exception to some clones that have slight issues?

EDIT: Scratch that, leveling up this Totodile actually crashed the 3DS (had to hold down the Power button; Cyndaquil levels up fine though).  :-\ Might I be able to breed it instead?

Re: Are gen 2 "somewhat" glitched clones ok to keep? Can I breed them?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2018-03-13 05:29:26
Hello!

In G/S, Bad Clone's unterminated name is displayed as "empty", resulting in the game not reading it, and therefore it doesn't cause any harm. In Crystal versions however, Bad Clone's unterminated name, when displayed (as a bunch of "?" because of some obscure subprogram), keep being read until eventually finding the end of the name (known as a "terminator" - an ingame character which is supposed to end a name but in this case is absent).

This eventually corrupts pretty much everything in the way to the next terminator and can result in freezes or Pokémon box or party corruptions. It is the basis for many glitches, because if you save/reset just before opening the PC box containing the Bad Clone, you can manage to corrupt the sprites of the other Pokémon in this box into Kingdra (because the buffer for Pokémon sprite gets corrupted by the Bad Clone's name) and this allows you to transform these Pokémon into another Pokémon (based on its moves for example) - it's called the Bad Clone Trick.

Another clever use of the Bad Clone is to view a Max Elixer in the Bag (WITHOUT SELECTING IT) before opening a PC Box containing a Bad Clone, which results (if correctly done) in arbitrary code execution.

The more things you do before opening a box or party with a Bad Clone inside, the more chances you have it will cross a terminator instantly and won't corrupt anything. The safest way to keep you Bad Clone quiet is to save/reset in front of a PC, view a Ice Berry in your bag and then open the PC Box containing the Bad Clone. This process will insert a terminator right after the unterminated name.

If you intend to use the Bad Clone for glitching purpose, maybe in the future, keep that clone around in an unused box until you're ready. If you don't wan't to, I advise you to release it asap.

Date: 2018-03-13 06:11:47

Hello!

In G/S, Bad Clone's unterminated name is displayed as "empty", resulting in the game not reading it, and therefore it doesn't cause any harm. In Crystal versions however, Bad Clone's unterminated name, when displayed (as a bunch of "?" because of some obscure subprogram), keep being read until eventually finding the end of the name (known as a "terminator" - an ingame character which is supposed to end a name but in this case is absent).

This eventually corrupts pretty much everything in the way to the next terminator and can result in freezes or Pokémon box or party corruptions. It is the basis for many glitches, because if you save/reset just before opening the PC box containing the Bad Clone, you can manage to corrupt the sprites of the other Pokémon in this box into Kingdra (because the buffer for Pokémon sprite gets corrupted by the Bad Clone's name) and this allows you to transform these Pokémon into another Pokémon (based on its moves for example) - it's called the Bad Clone Trick.

Another clever use of the Bad Clone is to view a Max Elixer in the Bag (WITHOUT SELECTING IT) before opening a PC Box containing a Bad Clone, which results (if correctly done) in arbitrary code execution.

The more things you do before opening a box or party with a Bad Clone inside, the more chances you have it will cross a terminator instantly and won't corrupt anything. The safest way to keep you Bad Clone quiet is to save/reset in front of a PC, view a Ice Berry in your bag and then open the PC Box containing the Bad Clone. This process will insert a terminator right after the unterminated name.

If you intend to use the Bad Clone for glitching purpose, maybe in the future, keep that clone around in an unused box until you're ready. If you don't wan't to, I advise you to release it asap.

The Totodile's name doesn't corrupt the boxes when I open the PC, everything, including the Cyndaquil with Totodile's old nickname is unchanged. Nothing else happens even if I reset, the game crashes if it levels up though as far as I know.

But I'm guessing this Totodile is a completely bad clone then, right? It seems a little odd because it wasn't at lv. 0 nor female when I withdrew it; it has the exact same stats, moves, exp., gender and lv. when I last put it in the box. Its nickname and OT are the only things that changed.  :-\

Date: 2018-03-13 07:14:57
Corruption induced by Bad Clone unterminated names are based on hard-to-predict things (somewhat similarly to Cooltrainer corruptions); mostly the content of buffers. You might not have any issues with your game, but then someday you play with your Bad Clone and your game start freezing  ;)

Also you appear to be confusing two Bad Clones characteristics here. Every Bad Clone has an unterminated name, but this characteristic has no utility in G/S because the game doesn't read that name :( Any glitch that relies on the unterminated name (Crystal-only glitches, then), such as the original Bad Clone Trick, Bad Clone ACE, etc. can be performed with any Bad Clone because ALL Bad Clones have unterminated names. Aside from this, we can distinguish two classes of Bad Clones:
- Incomplete Bad Clones, which is a normal clone but with some missing data (at least an unterminated name, but it can also be lvl0, has no ID, no moves, etc.)
- Full Bad Clones, which always are unstable hybrids of the Pokémon used for cloning and the absence of Pokémon - as a result every single data from this Pokémon, including its Pokédex number, is missing; and if this Bad Clone is given to the Daycare, it will stabilize into Glitch Pokémon hex:00.
The only distinguishable marker between Incomplete and Full BCs is the Pokédex number in the profile. The fact that it is lvl 0, female and stuff is not sufficient - if the Pokédex number is not 0, the Pokémon won't turn into a Glitch Pokémon hex:00  :)

Having a Full Bad Clone is not important for Crystal glitches relying on unterminated name, because this is a different thing that is shared by every Bad Clone. However, if you intend to use a glitch that requires a Glitch Pokémon hex:00 (such as the modern Bad Clone Trick) then you will need a Full Bad Clone.

It is important to note that this is rarely done in Crystal because using unterminated name-based glitches are as powerful as Glitch Pokémon hex:00-based glitches; but using the aforementioned corruption in Crystal, you can turn any Incomplete Bad Clone into an hybrid, which gives him the possibility to turn into a Glitch Pokémon hex:00 and enjoy any glitch anyway without having to specifically generate a Full Bad Clone  ;D. To that extent, Crystal is a good game for Bad Cloning.

Posted by: SgvSth
Date: 2018-03-13 12:31:09
I do want to throw in that you might be able to have Totodile be sent up to Bank instead of releasing.  Of course, this still causes the problem of getting a second Totodile without using other glitches.

Date: 2018-03-13 12:47:19
About this, it should also be said that since Bad Clones can corrupt the active box (sometimes not allowing you to place new Pokémon in it anymore), placing a Bad Clone in box 1 is an act of faith: if this box gets corrupted you will never be able to use the Pokétransfer to send your 2G Pokémon to the bank, since it only accepts box 1.

Date: 2018-03-14 21:05:37

The only distinguishable marker between Incomplete and Full BCs is the Pokédex number in the profile. The fact that it is lvl 0, female and stuff is not sufficient - if the Pokédex number is not 0, the Pokémon won't turn into a Glitch Pokémon hex:00  :)

So since my Totodile still has no. 158 in its summary, it should stay a Totodile even if I put it in the Daycare right? And still be able to breed with a Ditto and make a non-glitched Totodile?

I do want to throw in that you might be able to have Totodile be sent up to Bank instead of releasing.  Of course, this still causes the problem of getting a second Totodile without using other glitches.

I have no intention of sending it through Bank, the purpose is getting all the starters on a Crystal save file and whether this glitched Totodile can be kept and bred at the Daycare for a non-glitched one instead, then released to prevent future issues. I'm not planning on using a glitched clone for anything.

Date: 2018-03-15 05:04:59
Yes it will stay a Totodile once in daycare and be able to breed indeed  :)

Just make sure to understand that any movement of the Bad Clone is made at your own risks. Withdrawing, Moving, Storing or Depositing at the Day care a Bad Clone may or may not corrupt stuff :)