Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Why does ????? (00) break out of a Master Ball? - Page 1

Why does ????? (00) break out of a Master Ball?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-04-10 17:52:09
????? (00) surprisingly can break out of a Master Ball if you throw a Master Ball at it.

I was wondering whether anyone knows why this occurs?

This isn't to be confused with the low or 1/256 Master Ball miss on other Pokémon which is false.

You can test this with the following GameShark codes:

Pokémon Gold and Silver:

0101FDD5 - Have Master Ball in Balls pocket
0163FED5  - x255

0100EDD0 - Wild Pokémon is ????? (00)
010042D0 - Prevent in Link Battle glitch

Pokémon Crystal:

0101D8D8 - Have Master Ball in Balls pocket
01FFD9D8 - x255

010004D2 - Wild Pokémon is ????? (00)

Re: Why does ????? (00) break out of a Master Ball?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2018-04-10 18:29:34
I gave this a go on my dead Crystal cart and it broke out of every single Master Ball I threw before struggling itself and my starter to death. Is it possible for Glitchmon to have glitched catch rates?

Date: 2018-04-10 18:36:19

I gave this a go on my dead Crystal cart and it broke out of every single Master Ball I threw before struggling itself and my starter to death. Is it possible for Glitchmon to have glitched catch rates?

Definitely, but for some reason those with 0 in the catch rate constant data for Red/Blue/Yellow still can't break out of a Master Ball (for example https://glitchcity.info/wiki/GlitchDex/Y:200).

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2018-04-10 19:50:56
The function [tt]PokeBallEffect[/tt] sets [tt]wWildMon[/tt] to the value of [tt]wEnemyMonSpecies[/tt] when a Pokémon is caught (either because the catch rate check succeeds, the battle is the Dudes tutorial, or a Master Ball was used), and to 0 when a ball fails to catch the Pokémon. If the species is number 0, [tt]wWildMon[/tt] will be 0, just as if the ball failed.

Date: 2018-04-10 20:00:17

The function [tt]PokeBallEffect[/tt] sets [tt]wWildMon[/tt] to the value of [tt]wEnemyMonSpecies[/tt] when a Pokémon is caught (either because the catch rate check succeeds, the battle is the Dudes tutorial, or a Master Ball was used), and to 0 when a ball fails to catch the Pokémon. If the species is number 0, [tt]wWildMon[/tt] will be 0, just as if the ball failed.

Thank you Háčky! :)