Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Hall of Fame unterminated box SRAM glitch - German Version works, but what now? - Page 1

Hall of Fame unterminated box SRAM glitch - German Version works, but what now?

Posted by: Jack47
Date: 2018-05-19 09:03:03
[font=arial]Hello everybody, I am trying to setup Abritary Code Execution for the German Silver Edition of Pokemon.

First thing I did was trying to use the Hall of Fame unterminated box SRAM glitch presented by ChikasaurusGL in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxkQ7QdfdqM

And lo and behold, it works!(If this ISN'T the right glitch Pokemon feel free to correct me)

Picture for proof (Link to imgur because it ruins the formatting on this side)
[/font]

But I don't understand what the next steps are to use the "bad" Box 2 (or is every Box now bad??) to obtain an item which activates ACE like S7 did in Generation I

Can someone tell me what to do next? I want to replicate the whole thing afterwards on VC :)

Re: Hall of Fame unterminated box SRAM glitch - German Version works, but what now?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-05-19 13:59:07
Congratulations on getting the bad clone! ^^

Sure!

If it works the same between different languages, the steps in the following thread should work for obtaining any wrong pocket TM/HM:

https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8154.msg207944#msg207944

Hope this helps. :)

There is a different form of bad clone byte shifting within a box which involves Pokémon in the box transforming into Kingdra, but that one is Crystal only and I don't think you can get a wrong pocket TM/HM with that one.

If you get it to work, let me know what you want to do and I'll try to make box name codes for that for the German version.

Re: Hall of Fame unterminated box SRAM glitch - German Version works, but what now?

Date: 2018-05-19 14:32:37

Sure!

If it works the same between different languages, the steps in the following thread should work for obtaining any wrong pocket TM/HM:

https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8154.msg207944#msg207944

Hope this helps. :)

I have to say that I used cheats to get to the Pokemon League though!! I combined Walk through Walls with Gift Pokemon to beat it without saving. I didn't know that Key Items I didn't acquire due to the mentioned cheats can mess this up: Should I retry the game as "legit" as possible(acquiring important Key Items for example) before I continue with this savefile? Thanks to Speed Up function this isn't so bad.

Furthermore did you do a video (even if for English Versions) for this method described in your thread? I find your presentation on YouTube very easy to follow.

There is a different form of bad clone byte shifting within a box which involves Pokémon in the box transforming into Kingdra, but that one is Crystal only and I don't think you can get a wrong pocket TM/HM with that one.

I only have Gold/Silver on VC anyways  :P

If you get it to work, let me know what you want to do and I'll try to make box name codes for that for the German version.

That's sweet, thanks! Do you want any files(.srm .sav files etc.) if I manage to do it?

Date: 2018-05-19 15:40:03
That would be good yes. Thinking about it though, everything may be OK already, as the glitch assumes having no key items to begin with. Not obtaining a key item before the end of the game is impossible without glitches, but when I tested a key items pocket with 25 items (maximum key items the game will let you) with one FF at the end, the FF still disappeared and the Balls pocket still shifted back.

The real requirement then seems to be to have the Mystery Eggs at the bottom of the key items and to have no more than one FF at the end (this may mean never depositing your key items as doing so creates more than one FF however withdrawing them again may fix that).

I had a look through my videos and found I did those steps in the French version for TM25, so you can try this to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Jd6z_FwXI

I don't have a save file with TM25 prepared on a non-English version, sorry but will make one for German Silver version later. :)

Date: 2018-05-19 18:34:06
Uuuh… I made the Hall of Fame ??? Nr.000 Clone in the German version = it works for this version
and I did the tutorial step by step until the two mystery egg point from the machop tutorial appears

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KTuBfrY.gif[/img]

The bag fixes itself and gives me a "Bootsticket" instead, which is the item Prof. Elm would give me if I would have talked to him after the Pokemon League -> But I didn't talk to him yet O_o
That means acquiring Key Items and depositing them doesn't allow for shenanigans unlike what the tutorial wants from you.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/DRV9DjU.gif[/img]

Putting a third Key Item produces this result, but doesn't manipulate other bags.

Is there a salvageable way to fix this? It atleast produces items right in the wrong way even though it doesn't mess with the Pokeball items(they stay the same)

v v v v
Edit: Wait I don't get it at all. I added for a joke all key items I acquired to my bag, swapped one egg to the bottom and switched both of their positions, than I threw away one "Elixer x0" for "x0" and now I have th x[m]5 hyperball and 5 master ball. What

Edit 2:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/k6WT0py.png[/img]

I.. am confused, why is having all key items I collected in my pocket again (which means deposit->get item from PC) allowing me this TM in the ball slot? At what point at the glitch am I so far? Am I close to ACE?

Date: 2018-05-20 07:16:05
From what I gathered if it doesn't work and you obtain the maximum number of items you've had in the past, then do the switch (1st with 2nd Mystery Egg, the order sometimes matters when working with duplicate key items) it will then work. This is because if you had more than one FF terminator in the bag, withdrawing all of the items will remove all but the last one. The Mystery Eggs always have to be at the bottom of the pocket as well.

However on hindsight I don't know why it's sometimes not working for you for sure, and sorry to hear it's not always working.

The TM17 you got causes arbitrary code execution at region FA47 in Echo RAM, so you're almost done! This is in the middle of Pokémon 1's data; the caught data of Pokémon 1. So what you need to do now is have a suitable slide Pokémon in slot 1 (a low level freshly caught Pokémon from Route 29 ideally) and Quagsire holding TM02 and Return as the first move in slot 2 to redirect the code to box names.

Let me know what you want to do and I'll make the box name codes for it.

Date: 2018-05-20 09:05:49
Wait, so it was pointless of me doing the double amount of TM 17 having it in the items bag too? The wasted time  :'(  :'( I used an old savestate . . .
(I have a prepared Item Box in the PC and some Box names from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2tVVeZ7Th4&t=625s but I feel like I am doing it completly wrong now. What exactly do I have to do?

Anyways:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/9F7eV9G.gif[/img]

This is the preparation I have done that's kinda in both tutorials. And the important fact of all that is: Hall of Fame ???? definitely works in the German Gold Version

Edit: CODES I WANT:

- Make Pokemon Shiny Box Codes.
I don't know what the most convinient place is for that: The male daycare guy? The whole first Box 1? Team Slot 6? I bet you know the most convenient/best place for that

- Get any Pokemon Species Box Codes.
It doesn't matter if I have to stabilize the Pokemon with the Daycare Dude

- Get any Item you want Box Codes
Again, you most likely know the "best" place for this kind of code to work, right? Like you would say : "Item Slot 5 changes etc."
- Item Quantity Modifier Box Codes
Same here, you most likely know the "best" place for this, e.g. "Quantity of x99 works best because…"

Thanks in Advance

Date: 2018-05-20 09:56:26
Oh, did you have it in the items pocket already?

If so, I'm really sorry. :( If you used the 'stack corruption' method in the video by Crystal_ you linked to get TM17 then yes, you don't need to do the duplicate key items glitches to get TM17 as stack corruption will give it you already. I forgot about the stack corruption glitch which is an alternative way of getting the TM17 (which will work for ACE both in the items and balls pocket).

I forgot Crystal_ made a RAM editor for this too, so that's convenient.

If you use this Pastebin after following all the steps in the Crystal_ video up to https://youtu.be/b2tVVeZ7Th4?t=835 , you should be able to edit RAM by renaming box 7 according to:

https://pastebin.com/yW9MeaKe

To make a new code look up the memory address from a source such as:
https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver:RAM_map ; ; or
https://github.com/pret/pokegold/blob/master/wram.asm

Then use the Pastebin above to convert each two digits to the box name code.
e.g. party Pokémon 1's held item is DA2B, so you look up DA on the Pastebin (which is "?,"), then 2B which is "VW", then use the conversion for any index number you want (e.g. Master Ball is 01 which is "AB").

Make Pokémon Shiny (party slot 6):

First use TM17 with box 7 name as:
?XY59

(Applies 15 Attack IVs and 10 Defense IVs to party Pokémon 6 i.e. "FA")

Then use TM17 with box 7 name as:
?YY91

(Applies 10 Speed and Special IVs to party Pokémon 6 i.e. "AA")

These are the maximum DVs possible for a Shiny.

However, you can also modify Attack IV to 2, 3, 6, 7, A (10), B (11) or E (14). This is stored in the memory as the first digit and the Defense IV as the second digit (always 10). For example, a Shiny Pokémon with a minimum Attack IV (2) would have its Attack/Defense IV byte as 2A. Say it had 6, this would be 6A. Defense IV and Speed/Special IVs are always 10 for Shiny Pokémon.

Get any Pokémon species (party slot 6):

?NN[value]

[value] should be replaced with the two characters on the right for a given index number on the Pastebin. For example, Mew is 0x96, so "?q" should be used as the value.

After using TM17, take the sixth Pokémon into the Day Care and out again to convert it.

Get any item you want

Items pocket slot 1 (D5B8): Pk,9z[value]
Balls pocket slot 1 (D5FD): Pk,89[value]
Stored items slot 1 (D617): PkLM[value]
Key items pocket slot 1 (D5E2): Pk,.4[value]

Items pocket slot 1 quantity is 255 (D5B9): Pk,1(space)A
Balls pocket slot 1 quantity is 255 (D5FE): Pk,99(space)A
Stored items slot 1 quantity is 255 (D618): PkMM(space)A

Hope this helps!

Date: 2018-05-20 11:11:18
For some reason I always land in the blue colored Glitch Dimension using TM17, I even tried changing Quagsire's position just to see if it "reads" its data but for some reason it doesn't.

If I am going to troubleshoot this, what should I look out for? Box Names, Item Position etc. are double checked

Edit: . . .

Is it…maybe possible that the emulator could be at fault?

Date: 2018-05-20 12:30:06
For TM17, the slide Pokémon must be in slot 1 and Quagsire in slot 2.

From many other's experiences as well it seems sometimes the slide Pokémon isn't functional for the glitch, in which case it may be worth trying, according to Crystal_, a Level 2 female Hoothoot (60% compatible), any Level 2/3 Pokémon with HP between 13 and 15, 7 Special Defense, all other stats between 6 and 7 (also 60% compatible) or worst case scenario one of the English in-game trade Pokémon but those statistics were for Coin Case glitch.

Yeah, I think some older emulators may in fact not work for this, one possible reason due to incorrect Echo RAM emulation which on a real console is a copy of the same address -0x2000 (i.e. FA47 is a copy of DA47). It should work on BGB or one of the later VBA emulators. I use for example VBA-RR svn422, which while not the best, correctly emulates the glitch, and you can use File>Load Game>Import Battery File to load the save.

Its also possible one of the box names is slightly wrong. (e.g. "a" instead of "ä" in the German box names shown here: https://youtu.be/b2tVVeZ7Th4?t=643 ).

If you are using BGB (which is suitable for the glitch), you can also set a breakpoint at FA47 (Debugger: Debug>Access breakpoints>Enter FA47 in address range>Tick 'on execute' and press 'add'),  which is a fancy way of saying to track where the memory is going byte by byte. Once you've done this, you can use TM17 to open the debugger at FA47 and keep pressing F7 (may be fn+F7 on some operating systems) to track the code byte by byte (note it may go through ROM and go back to RAM, this is normal). It should find the 'jp D8C0' in Quagsire's data at DA5A. If the game gets there (to D8C0) the problem is the box names and not the party. If it doesn't, try using a different slide Pokémon at slot 1.

Date: 2018-05-27 11:19:07
Hey I am back and currently trying to setup Crystal_s version of Stack Corruption for TM 17 and one point in the video he says that on virtual console the third pokemon should be Quagsire instead of the second(?)

https://youtu.be/b2tVVeZ7Th4?t=6m11s

Does that mean the team on Virtual Console should be:

1"hoothoot"
2"quagsire TM02 + Return first move"
3"quagsire HP UP+ Sleep Talk first move"

4 filler
5 filler

or

1"hoothoot"
2"[size=14pt]NOT Quagsire[/size]"
3"quagsire HP UP+Sleep Talk first move"

4 filler
5 filler

Items pocket slot 1 (D5B8): Pk,9z[value] –> I would prefer changing Slot 7 or 8 or 9 because the German Version needs specific Items from Slot 1 til 5; But I don't understand how to decipher the memory adress website you mentioned(the RAM Map); heck I can't even find in the RAM map the code you provided.

Also, Hall of Fame ?????? for bad clone also works in German Virtual console  :D

Date: 2018-06-10 11:18:58
IT WORKS

Hello I am truly back and I can now finally confirm, that TM 17 Stack Corruption and ACE works on Virtual Console - German Version. I successfully could transfer a Level 80 Shiny Lugia to Sun and Moon already. The only oddity about the German Version is that for some reason my 5th Pokemon had an impossible long nickname but whatever, just delete it. 8)

Team you need(TM17):

Slide Hoothoot Lvl2
Quagsire TM02 + Return First Move
Quagsire HP UP + Sleep Talk First Move
Filler
Filler

Also for the lurkers, most of Torchicken's Code isn't functional as she read the Code Table wrong:

Make Pokémon Shiny (party slot 6):

First use TM17 with box 7 name as:
[font=georgia]?XY9l [lowercase "L", not 1]
[/font]
(Applies 10 Attack IVs and 10 Defense IVs to party Pokémon 6)

Then use TM17 with box 7 name as:
[font=georgia]?YY9l
[/font]
(Applies 10 Speed and Special IVs to party Pokémon 6)

Get any item you want Slot 6 (I wouldn't recommend Slot 1, as the German Version needs Slot 1 - 5 completly fixed to use TM17 properly!!!)

Items pocket slot 1 (D5B8): Pk,9z[value]
Items pocket slot 6 (D5C2): Pk,PkPk[value]  (D5 is Pk,  C2 is PkPk)
Items pocket slot 6 Quantity (D5C3): Pk,PkMn[value]  (D5 is again Pk, C3 is PkMn)

Try on Box 7:

after that

in combination with above for 99x Rare Candies Refer to the Big HEX List for other Items you want.

Final Fix/Question
like the final fix for the ACE How can I fix my Pokemon boxes so that they get the proper Terminator in their respective boxes? Some of them are still stuck with the "everything turns to Lvl:0/???/Bad Clone Pokemon" after you move them. I need a proper FF somewhere. Now that I can write everything with ACE