Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

G/S: Is there a fix for "Full Box" caused by bad-cloning? - Page 1

G/S: Is there a fix for "Full Box" caused by bad-cloning?

Posted by: icycatelf
Date: 2018-10-27 14:49:09
(I hope this is the right place to ask.)

So it looks like I corrupted a Box while trying to get a Bad Clone for a version of the Celebi Egg Trick (in attempt to get a Dig TM for my Shiny Dunsparce) in Virtual Console Gold. It said that the Box was full (20/20) despite there only being 18 visible Pokémon inside. I can release Pokémon and catch/deposit more but, if the Box count exceeds 18, the last thing(s) in the box just disappear. I suspect that an invisible Bad Clone is the culprit, but I don't know how to make it visible to release it or if it's even possible.

Luckily, none of my Shinies were in that Box. It looks like I can still play the game fine, but I may have to quarantine that Box. (It's the last Box in the PC, so it should be easily avoided.) Too bad there's no way (that I know of) to just totally purge a Box…

Does anyone have a solution for this? (I'd also love to know if there's a low-risk way to get Dig or Earthquake on my Shiny Dunsparce without modifying its IVs and such.)

Re: G/S: Is there a fix for "Full Box" caused by bad-cloning?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-10-27 19:24:25
Hi icycatelf, welcome to the forums :). Yeah, this is the right board.

I think stable ????? (00 and FF) (unlike hybrids/most bad clones) are invisible if they are in a storage box, so that could be the issue if you somehow got one there.

Maybe if you have Pokémon Bank/Transporter you can fix the box by attempting to transfer the Pokémon in the broken box to Pokémon Bank.

Otherwise, the only way I know of to fix your box is to use arbitrary code execution to reset the number of Pokémon in it to 0, so I'm afraid if you don't want to use ACE, there may not be much more you can do. To reset the counter to 0, you would need to enable SRAM bank 1 and then write 00 to AD6C (current box number of Pokémon), which is certainly possible.

Do you know if bad cloning is easier on Virtual Console than on Game Boy? On Stadium 2 it's a lot easier to either get a bad clone or 'semi-bad clone' (Pokémon with corrupted nickname), but with Virtual Console you're unable to use Stadium 2.

If you are using English version Gold, there is Coin Case glitch as an ACE option, but it depends on whether you can get it to work (see below). But Coin Case glitch is usually safe if you're always using the right path (outside of door (Cherrygrove Mart/Elm's Lab)/four steps right) Crystal_ has a video on how to obtain wrong pocket TM17 (also ACE but without the need of walking in a specific pattern and listening to Bellsprout/Machop etc's cry) and then setup a memory editor. I'm unsure if the memory editor supports writing to SRAM, but maybe you could open SRAM bank 1 with multiple wrong-pocket TM uses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsIb3OZaYAs

I feel generally (without an error in execution like an incorrect box name character or bad slide Pokémon, and other factors) box names are easiest (some stored PC items can be hard to get or may not be buyable), but many people have had something go wrong and I'm unsure why (it's sometimes getting the right low-level Pokémon to slide to Quagsire, you have to make sure everything's right and try different low-level Pokémon if that's the case but even with this it's failed for some people (just Glitch Dimensions or freezes) so keep that in mind).

If you can obtain a bad clone soon, you can use byte-shifting glitches for held item TM28 (Dig)/TM26 (Earthquake) (the same mechanism of party Celebi glitch) then either ignore that corrupted box or fix it with Coin Case glitch later.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want me to look into making a box name code to fix the box.

Date: 2018-10-27 20:32:01
Thanks so much for your response!

Pokémon Stadium 2 is how I've obtained Bad Clones in the past. I imagine that it's just about the same level of difficulty getting a Bad Clone on the Virtual Console as it is on a GBC/GBA, though it is easier to avoid shutting-off too early by continuing after touching the bottom menu. (On a GBC/GBA, it's easy to accidentally flip the switch before even pressing A.)

I don't currently have the funds to try the Poké Bank fix (I shouldn't have bought that Hanafuda theme), but I may attempt it in the long run if my other options prove too difficult. The in-depth stuff behind these glitch exploits frazzle my brain, so really advanced set-ups might be too much for me. @_@

Unless there's a way to safely back-up a VC save, I probably won't continue trying for a Bad Clone in fear of seriously breaking my game and losing my Shinies. This gave me a bit of a scare!

I'd very much appreciate if you could look into a Box name code to fix it (if you think it's something I could tackle)!

- - -

EDIT: I've now got the funds for another Bank subscription. Once I find something I want to transfer from my older games (currently hunting Sneasel and Nincada), I'll renew it and see if it can be used to fix the box.

Date: 2018-12-08 12:22:06
Pokémon Bank/Transporter doesn't fix this since it apparently only reads the first box. My corrupted box is Box 14 (the last one). :(

Posted by: SgvSth
Date: 2018-12-18 02:20:32
Sadly, I only just saw this.  I have a bad Box 1 in VC Silver due to abusing the Transporter Cloning glitch.  I have yet to find a way to actually fix the box, but I just work around it by making the problem worse and transferring from the other boxes.  :P

You could do the following:

* Add 20 Pokemon to Box 1 to be "Released." 
* Review the following thread and video: (https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8191.0)
* Use Box 14 as the target
* Hope for the best?

Date: 2019-04-16 12:13:05

Sadly, I only just saw this.  I have a bad Box 1 in VC Silver due to abusing the Transporter Cloning glitch.  I have yet to find a way to actually fix the box, but I just work around it by making the problem worse and transferring from the other boxes.  :P

You could do the following:

* Add 20 Pokemon to Box 1 to be "Released." 
* Review the following thread and video: (https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8191.0)
* Use Box 14 as the target
* Hope for the best?

Now I've got all the visible Pokémon out of Box 14, but there are still some invisible guys in there and now my Box 1 is corrupted too. I tried using Transfer to get rid of the glitch amount, but it doesn't detect any Pokémon in there. Maybe I did something wrong…