Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Experimenting with poison whiteouts - Page 1

Experimenting with poison whiteouts

Posted by: greentyphlosion
Date: 2019-03-31 17:41:44
I posted a while back about the Clair gift glitch (https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8130.0) which allows players to obtain a second copy of TM24 using a poisoned Pokemon. I've been playing around with Crystal again recently, and considering this glitch as well as the Dude full box glitch (https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Dude_full_box_glitch), was interested to see if there were any other scenarios in which poison whiteouts could be used to produce interesting effects.

A few notes: unlike Gen 1, poison damage takes effect when the player hits the ground after jumping off a ledge, not in midair. A quirk is that if the player steps on a tile and triggers an event (such as Silver exiting the Olivine Gym or seeing Suicune in the overworld) the poison will not take effect, effectively "skipping" the damage for another few steps.

Whiting out after defeating Whitney but before the NPC below her tells you to speak to her again does nothing interesting; if you approach again the NPC will simply repeat her standard post-battle text unless you step on the relevant tile below Whitney.

After awakening the legendary beasts the way out of the Burned Tower is blocked off by Eusine, but the player can white out to skip talking to him (or simply use an Escape Rope); this doesn't affect anything else.

Whiting out in the Team Rocket HQ (the room with the Electrodes and the generators) is interesting. Ordinarily the player cannot leave unless all 3 Electrodes are defeated, but whiting out from poison (or simply being KOed by the Electrodes) can circumvent this. When the player re-enters the room, the game takes control and directs the player back to the left side of the area. What's interesting is that Lance's sprite simply disappears rather than staying static; the right side of the room can be viewed from the other areas of the map, but Lance's sprite is not present in it unlike in HGSS.

Can anyone think of any other possible scenarios that might be worth testing out?

Re: Experimenting with poison whiteouts

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-03-31 18:52:30
Wow, great post!

Want me to make a video of the Team Rocket HQ glitch, or would you rather make it?

As for your question, hmm I can't think of any other potentially gameplay affecting white out situations right now sorry.

Date: 2019-04-01 08:01:26
:-* Thank you!

Feel free to go ahead if you'd like (my camera almost certainly isn't up to making a Youtube-quality video). Still playing around with the game atm so if anything turns up I'll report back.

Date: 2019-04-01 08:58:56

:-* Thank you!

Feel free to go ahead if you'd like (my camera almost certainly isn't up to making a Youtube-quality video). Still playing around with the game atm so if anything turns up I'll report back.

You're welcome. :)

All right I'll be right on it. Will try to get it done within 5 hours, speedrunning is not my forte so I will use turbo mode and hack in some Rare Candies to speed things up. [img]https://i.imgur.com/0sMsV4t.png[/img]

(edit at 19:18 a lot of time has elapsed now and I fear its been more than 5 hours, I felt like I had to release my feelings and make a few posts. Sorry about this. In relation to where I'm at in the game, I am just after defeating Sudowoodo so it shouldn't be too long. Additionally, video processing will take some time. After which I'll need to sleep as I only got like 3 hours sleep yesterday.)

Date: 2019-04-01 14:53:25
Hi again greentyphlosion.

I'm unsure if I'm missing something, but when I compared the two events (whiteout and no whiteout) it seemed to be the same. I hope maybe I just did the curiosity wrong though. Here is the video currently unlisted with no description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQLLJtFbR70

Date: 2019-04-01 16:14:52
Wasn't able to view the video, but what were you looking for?

I may not have been totally clear: what I found notable was that ordinarily you can't go to the right-hand side of the generator room (Lance tells you to leave that side to him, and the player is forced back). If you try to go right in HGSS, you can see Lance stood by the Electrodes, but the screen isn't large enough in GSC to do this. Exiting the generator room using whiteout, even though you can walk around the outside of the room (via the other areas of the HQ) Lance isn't there. His sprite simply walks offscreen and disappears. It's not so much a glitch as an oddity but I find these things interesting all the same.

Date: 2019-04-02 14:21:52

Wasn't able to view the video, but what were you looking for?

I may not have been totally clear: what I found notable was that ordinarily you can't go to the right-hand side of the generator room (Lance tells you to leave that side to him, and the player is forced back). If you try to go right in HGSS, you can see Lance stood by the Electrodes, but the screen isn't large enough in GSC to do this. Exiting the generator room using whiteout, even though you can walk around the outside of the room (via the other areas of the HQ) Lance isn't there. His sprite simply walks offscreen and disappears. It's not so much a glitch as an oddity but I find these things interesting all the same.

Oh, OK. That's all right. :) I think I was expecting going to be able to go to the right-hand side after whiteout. For some reason it still didn't work. It's possible I did the glitch wrong. I think auto-walk activated not allowing me to go to the right hand side right away; and then I couldn't exit the sides.

Whiteout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQLLJtFbR70

No whiteout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZQ16reMR1w

So a few questions:

1. How many Electrode were left for you?
2. Did auto-walk also occur when you entered from the bottom even after white out?
3. Which version did you use, Gold/Silver/Crystal and which language? Was it Crystal v1.0 or v1.1. If Japanese Gold/Silver, was it v1.0 or v1.1. edit: Sorry, I see you were using Crystal. I'll do the whole thing again.
4. Did you white out in battle or from a poison step (I've tried both)

Bottom refers to the edited in red line above the middle of the text box.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/UqG65Bh.png[/img]

(Sorry about the video never processing, it's up now)

Date: 2019-04-02 19:05:21
No, no - you can't go into the right side, the game won't let you. But you can see into the right side of the room from the other areas of the HQ (circled in the image). The three Electrode sprites are all present, but Lance's sprite is not - I expected that he'd be there, but it seems that the game simply vanishes his sprite.

1. I tried whiting out on the first Electrode and also the last. If the last Electrode self-destructs, it's not counted as a double KO - when you return it'll still be there.
2. Yeah, the game auto-walks you back in to the left side no matter what.
3. Crystal, on the VC so I assume v1.1
4. I tried both.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-04-02 19:24:28

3. Crystal, on the VC
why

why would you do that

pm me and i can solve that for you

Date: 2019-04-03 02:10:36
:-* um, okay

Date: 2019-04-03 06:27:41

No, no - you can't go into the right side, the game won't let you. But you can see into the right side of the room from the other areas of the HQ (circled in the image). The three Electrode sprites are all present, but Lance's sprite is not - I expected that he'd be there, but it seems that the game simply vanishes his sprite.

1. I tried whiting out on the first Electrode and also the last. If the last Electrode self-destructs, it's not counted as a double KO - when you return it'll still be there.
2. Yeah, the game auto-walks you back in to the left side no matter what.
3. Crystal, on the VC so I assume v1.1
4. I tried both.

Ah, that clears it up for me. Thanks! :)

Date: 2019-04-13 07:12:26
Haven't had a lot of time in the last week for this but I have been continuing to experiment with skipping checkpoints and scripted events through poison whiteouts… no major glitches discovered so far but I have made a couple of mildly interesting discoveries.

-As mentioned in a previous post, the player can use an Escape Rope or white out via poison to avoid talking to Eusine in the basement of the Burned Tower after awakening the Legendary Beasts, where he will remain and can be spoken to from behind if the player re-enters the building afterwards. After battling him in Cianwood, however, he disappears.

___

-During the GS Ball event, Kurt will exit his house after examining the GS Ball. Upon leaving his house the game takes over and the player is forced to join him by the forest's edge. I used a poison whiteout to avoid having to leave his house and flew back to Azalea Town; if the player then approaches his house the normal sequence will resume. Entering the forest without speaking to Kurt will not trigger the event (as obviously the player will not have the GS Ball on hand).

Here's a curious thing, though. During this sequence, the player is prevented from entering Ilex Forest by the north entrance (the NPC in the gatehouse who gives out TM12 will block the door, stating that something is wrong with the forest). Entering the forest from the south, the other NPC normally present in the gatehouse will be standing near the shrine (if spoken to, she says "did something happen to the forest's guardian?"). If the player skips talking to Kurt, however, she will still be present in the gatehouse even though the other NPC has already been moved to prevent the player from passing through; she only appears in the forest after Kurt asks the player to investigate the shrine. Given that talking to Kurt after he leaves his house is (almost) unavoidable, it's strange that the two NPCs have different flags for leaving their ordinary positions. This also means that the player can exit Ilex Forest at the north end even though the NPC is stood in front of the door inside the gatehouse; she doesn't react, but amusingly will prevent the player from returning the way they came if they try to pass by her again.

This is such an obscure thing, but it's the kind of thing I was looking for. Will keep researching!

Date: 2019-04-21 19:22:18
Double posting, soz. Did some more dicking around with poison whiteouts. Still nothing earth-shattering except for minor glitches and sequence breaking.

When the player enters the SS Aqua, upon walking down into the main area the gentleman NPC looking for his granddaughter will bump into them. Whiting out and bypassing this sequence will teleport the player to their cabin. Interestingly, the gentleman's sprite is not present in the main area waiting to rush forward - he can be found in his cabin, where he is present after bumping into the player, but only appears when the player steps on the appropriate position. Similarly to the scenario with Lance described in a previous post, it seems that the game apparently only generates a sprite for NPCs when they need to be onscreen, and does not keep them stored offscreen (unlike HGSS, which does). Amusingly, this means that the player can talk to the gentleman in his cabin before "meeting him for the first time" as per the game script, though once the granddaughter is found, the encounter becomes unable to be triggered.

There's a sneaky forced heal after you defeat the slacking sailor on the SS Aqua, so after I got myself poisoned again, I went off to explore Kanto. Managed to do a little bit of sequence breaking - whiting out in the Power Plant after speaking to the director (but before the policeman gets a phone call about a shady person in Cerulean) allows the player to go straight to the gym and meet the Rocket Grunt there. You can actually collect the Machine Part in the Cerulean Gym without battling the Rocket Grunt if you know where it is; returning it to the Power Plant causes the grunt to vanish if you don't battle him beforehand.

Date: 2019-04-22 06:26:13
Thank you! <3 I will make these two a subject of a video.