Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Playable character is offscreen in Crystal. - Page 1

Playable character is offscreen in Crystal.

Posted by: Jagmon
Date: 2020-01-27 03:03:11
Hello, this is my first post about a glitch I just encountered in Pokemon Crystal.

After using a max repel and saving on top of the staircase in Burned Tower B1F, I reset the game and the camera was about 12 blocks higher than where my character was, rendering him off-screen.

I can still walk around to view far off the map and resetting the game brings the glitch back while using the staircase fixes the camera.

Just curious as to whether this is a known glitch or not as I found nothing when searching for it.

Re: Playable character is offscreen in Crystal.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2020-01-29 08:43:00
Haven't gotten around to testing this yet, which I should just to be sure, but it seems like a very…unnatural occurrence. Under what circumstances are you playing? Virtual Console, or which emulator?

Date: 2020-01-29 23:46:46
3DS Virtual Console

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2020-01-30 11:47:18
Is your 3DS/2DS hacked? If so, we'd really appreciate a save…

Date: 2020-01-30 15:35:55
Unhacked

Date: 2020-01-30 15:52:29
Shame… well, I can replicate it when I get the time.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2020-01-31 01:31:43
Users in Discord tested this on both VC and a handful of emulators, but didn't come up with anything. I should bug them more about posting here, but they concluded they needed a save file to see what was up.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-02-01 14:22:49

Hello, this is my first post about a glitch I just encountered in Pokemon Crystal.

After using a max repel and saving on top of the staircase in Burned Tower B1F, I reset the game and the camera was about 12 blocks higher than where my character was, rendering him off-screen.

I can still walk around to view far off the map and resetting the game brings the glitch back while using the staircase fixes the camera.

Just curious as to whether this is a known glitch or not as I found nothing when searching for it.

Hi Jagmon, weclome. :) Thanks for sharing, that sounds interesting, and haven't heard of it before either. It's unfortunate (according to Sherkel) it wasn't able to be replicated, is it possible for you to send a picture please? (even a phone image is fine). If you can also send a save file we can analyse it. Also how far were you in the game?

Date: 2020-02-01 18:01:15

Hi Jagmon, weclome. :) Thanks for sharing, that sounds interesting, and haven't heard of it before either. It's unfortunate (according to Sherkel) it wasn't able to be replicated, is it possible for you to send a picture please? (even a phone image is fine). If you can also send a save file we can analyse it. Also how far were you in the game?
OP said they don't have a hacked 3DS, so no save can be (easily) exported.

Date: 2020-02-01 18:51:29
Unfourtently I have progressed past this point but I did record a video when the glitch occurred. I had beat Red, caught all 250 available pokemon and played almost 100 hours. To the best of my knowledge, the rest of the save is glitchless. The glitch occurred when trying to find a 1% Weezing, I had an lv 16 Togetic in the first place of my party and also a Typhlosion that was around lv 97-100. Other pokemon I might have had on me include Koffing, Ditto, Omanyte, Tyrogue (potentially as an egg) or Hitmonchan. I was about halfway through my first max repel when I saved and exited. Upon returning I appeared as I did in the video attached. Not sure the rules on linking but I have an Imgur link.

https://imgur.com/a/7DNxbug

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-02-12 15:26:26

Unfourtently I have progressed past this point but I did record a video when the glitch occurred. I had beat Red, caught all 250 available pokemon and played almost 100 hours. To the best of my knowledge, the rest of the save is glitchless. The glitch occurred when trying to find a 1% Weezing, I had an lv 16 Togetic in the first place of my party and also a Typhlosion that was around lv 97-100. Other pokemon I might have had on me include Koffing, Ditto, Omanyte, Tyrogue (potentially as an egg) or Hitmonchan. I was about halfway through my first max repel when I saved and exited. Upon returning I appeared as I did in the video attached. Not sure the rules on linking but I have an Imgur link.

https://imgur.com/a/7DNxbug

I tried it but with different Pokémon, but no luck so far sorry. Your video looks really interesting, can you go out of bounds enough to corrupt one of the variables listed here? https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Out_of_bounds_Glitch_City_(Generation_II)#In%20Pok%C3%A9mon%20Crystal .

Posted by: Unused Trainer
Date: 2020-03-02 04:53:30
What could have caused this error? From the difficulty of loading the NPC?