Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Was this mystery ever solved? (on Crystal 1.0, 1.1 Dex page reallocation) - Page 1

Was this mystery ever solved? (on Crystal 1.0, 1.1 Dex page reallocation)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-02-01 14:45:56
It's confirmed (not here, but it was in the Crystal disassembly) that there was a glitch with Battle Tower texts which only occurred in version 1.0 (not sure if anyone got it on video before though), where both female and male Trainers would use their texts from the same source, or something along those lines. edit: they get them from the female array https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/blob/e3e0bcd653f8d671f6fd1390fa922e3b644f4a34/engine/events/battle_tower/trainer_text.asm ; and there is also this: https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/blob/91f914718a263839daef24d44eda857bfc7cca95/data/battle_tower/classes.asm ; Additionally, v1.1 would glitch the Mobile Stadium menu background (but this is normally never seen anyway, as international Crystal did not use the Mobile System GB).

However, there may have been another glitch that still no one seems to have verified or disproven yet. (I tried looking into it a long time ago with no success)

These changes are all concerned with the PokéDex. The Details Submenu (when you press A on the name of a Pokémon) has its own status variable now. This is probably due to the effect that there might be some runtime conditional bugs, because the status variable is actually the same that is used for something else during battle. So when you're shown the details submenu after catching a Pokémon, there might have been a bug there. I doubt it though.

Only in B            1733AFh
Only in B            1733C0h
Only in B            1733C3h
Only in B            1733EFh
Only in B            1733F2h
Only in B            173403h
Only in B            173431h
Only in B            173434h
Only in B            17344Ch
Only in B            173450h
Only in A    173458h
Only in B            1734B2h
Only in B            1734B5h
Only in B            1734F3h
Only in B            1734F6h
Only in A    173FF4h

Tauwasser mentioned there may have been a bug in the Pokédex sub-menu, but doubted it. He stated a change in a status variable. Back when I did a cursory check; I noted a detail at some point, and eventually added as part of my own research to the wiki:

Rev A of the game added a Pokédex page number variable (controlled by bit 0 of address C7E5), ostensibly fixing a possible glitch. In v1.0, this was controlled by address CF65 instead, which is also an address that is written to when the player's badges animate on the Trainer Card.

I tried opening the Pokédex directly after opening the Trainer Card, but it unfortunately didn't seem to affect the Pokédex page number, however, there could be another method to do something with the above detail.

Additionally, the Japanese versions of Gold/Silver have a v1.0 and a v1.1. What are their revision differences? as for other versions for Generations I-II, at least one non-formatting change related one is known. (Red/Green; partial Select glitch fix, removal of unused 0x60 byte Link Cable error checking - Japanese Yellow; one of the revisions fixed a glitch in Victory Road with boulders where you could have a walking Pikachu solve the puzzle instead of the boulder).