Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Would playing Pokémon Red on a Pokémon Gold/Silve cartridge be possible via ACE? - Page 1

Would playing Pokémon Red on a Pokémon Gold/Silve cartridge be possible via ACE?

Posted by: massmarines
Date: 2020-04-01 14:37:04
I saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81P5srA7vY where someone plays snake on a Pokémon Silver game.

Would it be possible to emulate Pokémon Red/Blue on Gold/Silver?

Or would it be too time-consuming? You could probably borrow something from GS but some things have to be "written" or not?

Re: Would playing Pokémon Red on a Pokémon Gold/Silve cartridge be possible via ACE?

Posted by: Sanqui
Date: 2020-04-01 15:44:54
There is not enough space in the Game Boy memory to write out the entire game of Red/Blue.

Re: Would playing Pokémon Red on a Pokémon Gold/Silve cartridge be possible via ACE?

Posted by: CasualPokePlayer
Date: 2020-04-01 17:38:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm8P8utT5g

This is the closest thing you can really get to what you want, and even then it's more smoke and mirrors than the actual game being played.

From the submission text:

But this is going to be a predefined input file anyway, so I don't need to run all of the actual code, I just need to run equivalent code that produces the same audio-visual effect as the original. At first I thought about streamlining the original code by cutting not needed code paths and priming it so that it produced the predetermined results I wanted (basically pre-computing the emulation and only running the resulting instructions), but I came up with an even more radical idea: I realized that all the instructions that really mattered are those that put tiles on the screen or played some sounds. So all I need to do is emulate the actual audio-visual output of the game with the right timing, without any internal game state.

This realization was the key to this run, as it opened many more possibilities: The source of the A/V doesn't need to be another game. It could be a hack of a game. Or the mash-up of different games. Or from a different system. Or literally arbitrary A/V. This made this run become not about running a game in another game, but more about pushing the limits of the Gameboy hardware and see what is possible.