Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Day Care Experience Cap Oversight - Page 1

Day Care Experience Cap Oversight

Posted by: ~Piika
Date: 2011-12-18 15:44:12
Hi guys! I've got a (pretty minor) glitch to share with you today!

[img]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9573/imgp0174.jpg[/img]

See, my Ditto on Pokémon Sapphire finally reached level 100 while it was in the Day Care. To my surprise, though, it had 1012734 experience points. Odd, no?

My guess is that when a Pokémon reaches level 100 in the Day Care (in Gen III, at least), it overlooks the experience cap at level 100 and just keeps going? (Though not if you put a Pokémon that's already level 100 in.) I put my Ditto back in the Day Care and withdrew it again to see if that changed anything, but the number's still the same.

I thought I'd share this with you guys since I've never seen any mention of this glitch anywhere.

Re: Day Care Experience Cap Oversight

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-12-18 18:57:07
I knew about this glitch before from a Japanese Ruby/Sapphire video (unfortunately I can no longer find the link: I'll post it if I can find it again), where the user put a Level 99 Pokémon in the Day Care Center for its total experience to exceed 1,059,860 but I assumed that it was probably exclusive to the Japanese version. That's interesting to know it persists in the English versions. Nice find.

I wonder if it's possible for the total experience to overflow (16,777,215: FF|FF|FF perhaps?) and loop back through 0, though it would take "forever" to walk that many steps. You would probably have to push down a button on the D-pad and leave the game running on a slope, spinning tile, or water current for a couple of months (or years).  ;D

Edit: Found it. It's from 0xwas, a Japanese Pokémon glitcher and TASer. I tried searching 0xwas' videos to find it but must have missed seeing it the first time. They used a Level 99 Abra (which also falls under the medium-slow growth pattern max: 1,059,860) with 4 Experience to Level 100.

Posted by: ~Piika
Date: 2011-12-18 22:17:44
Ha, unless there's some sort of code or something to multiply your steps, I guess we'll never know. ^_^;

So, do we know when this glitch was fixed, if at all?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2011-12-18 22:54:47
If we had the game sped up in an emulator, and a macro going along a long path left-right, maybe it could be reached?

I'd not be surprised if it was 4,294,967,296 to roll over, though (00|00|00|00).