Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Decamark named " ."!? (Female symbol) - Page 1

Decamark named " ."!? (Female symbol)

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-03-13 18:34:12
Yep.  This happened.  I was just messing about with it (I had no Pokémon), and scrolled to find this.  (31 down). 

Before I continue: At the time, I was playing a romhack of firered, which sets it so all moves are metronome.  Just keep that in mind; I haven't verified the normal effects.  This also only happened once out of all of the 4 battles I tried.  (May be due to GBA ram optimizations)

Here's the stats:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/amBLr5k.png[/img]
First page

[img]http://i.imgur.com/rpW9VDJ.png[/img]
Second page

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4AgpRdd.png[/img]
Third page

[img]http://i.imgur.com/oilHmmX.png[/img]
Third page stats.

Note that it does have superglitch-like move descriptions.  Not sure if that effect has been observed before.

I'm going to try to replicate this on a vanilla game before posting save states, but either way, this is interesting and . is my favorite Pokémon. 

(BTW: I got here by using walk thru walls code: 509197D3 542975F4 78DA95DF 44018CB4)

Re: Decamark named " ."!? (Female symbol)

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-03-13 18:44:30
Huh, that's pretty interesting. This could be a huge breakthrough!

What exactly did you do to trigger this?

On the topic of Female Symbol: I have actually fought it on Yellow Version several times. It just gave a short cry and then I was able to fight it. Does anyone know why? I know this isn't knew, but was wondering why it happened. I did it with the extended Mew glitch/Ditto trick.

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-03-13 18:49:09

On the topic of Female Symbol: I have actually fought it on Yellow Version several times. It just gave a short cry and then I was able to fight it. Does anyone know why? I know this isn't knew, but was wondering why it happened. I did it with the extended Mew glitch/Ditto trick.

I was able to get the infinite cry once using the Ditto trick on the route to Cerulean's east (forgot the number, but there's a trainer you can escape from). The video with the cry uses Gameshark on route 1 which also works, but you need to use BGB. But even under these conditions it would sometimes not work, idk why.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-03-13 18:54:58
Ha ha, nice coincidence!

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-03-13 19:30:47
@Torchickens
I wonder if it actually is…  Maybe the string comes from stats or something. 

@Bert: I did this by using walk thru walls and walking up, and then encountering a wild Pokémon, looking at the summary of the first Pokémon (Of which there were 0 in total), and then scrolling down.  31 times.  Just did some quick testing on a regular firered, and I can't reproduce it: While I am getting ??????????'s that have random names, none in the 31st slot have names.  But that doesn't mean it won't happen; it may be rare.  I've also gotten other weird things, such as corrupted graphics more often. 

Also, the reason why the cry was short is female symbol corrupts audio output, but it doesn't always do it.  I'd say bulbapedia is partially wrong in that usually, female symbol won't do a glitch song.  It might depend on player name or trainer number or who knows what.  I've encountered a large number of them. 

Actually, on the subject of infinite cries, Missingno usually gives me one in yellow.  Though around ~30% of the time it doesn't.  And I've never gotten "Unknown Opcode" yet.  But I did once get a shiny Missingno.  (I found this video in my list while looking for a related video).  Video.