Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Beta Phrase or Placeholder or Practical Joke? (R/S) - Page 1

Beta Phrase or Placeholder or Practical Joke? (R/S)

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2014-12-19 16:07:21
This excerpt comes from decamark 0xEE61's Pokédex Entry

It reads:

"This is the tale of a TRAINER
named BALLS. This TRAINER healed POKéMON
(???)! There could be no greater lover of :éMON CE
POKPOKéMON CENTERS than BALLS!"

The next page is full of qAF

Re: Beta Phrase or Placeholder or Practical Joke? (R/S)

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-12-19 16:44:04
GAHAHAHAHA holy shit, that's amazing!

That text format looks familiar though. Isn't it from the Gabby & Ty interviews? I can't recall anywhere in the game (aside from the opening, maybe?) where "This is a tale…" appears.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-12-19 16:49:22
That's funny, lol.

According to Wack0's Pokémon Ruby text dump, this is what the message is supposed to be:

This is a tale of a TRAINER
named @
This TRAINER healed POKéMON
times at POKéMON CENTERS!
There could be no greater lover of
POKéMON CENTERS than @

It is grouped with many messages like this. I think it may be from the The Storyteller (one of the Mauville City Pokémon Center men), maybe if you mixed records with someone who got him.  I think a number is supposed to be before "times". I have no idea why the game chose "BALLS" though.

When I catch EE61, the Pokédex data is different. What determines this data may depend on the memory, not the ROM, I guess.

[img]http://i2.minus.com/iVXaGw4jBaUWa.png[/img]

Posted by: Crystalame
Date: 2014-12-20 01:47:18
Bwah ha ha, that's REALLY good. I too wonder why it just says… "BALLS". I've never before heard that line (or lineS, really) of dialogue but I admittedly didn't dally with much of the original RSE's features. Partially because I never had a link cable, so I couldn't link up with another player very often at all to see dialogue from things like mixing records, etc.

This would probably be too obvious of a thing, but did you name anything in your file "BALLS"?

Also we've sure found a lot of qAF lately. :/

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-12-20 06:48:32

It is grouped with many messages like this. I think it may be from the The Storyteller (one of the Mauville City Pokémon Center men), maybe if you mixed records with someone who got him.  I think a number is supposed to be before "times". I have no idea why the game chose "BALLS" though.

You are exactly right, the first few lines of that text group is the introduction of The Storyteller.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2014-12-20 18:14:04

Bwah ha ha, that's REALLY good. I too wonder why it just says… "BALLS". I've never before heard that line (or lineS, really) of dialogue but I admittedly didn't dally with much of the original RSE's features. Partially because I never had a link cable, so I couldn't link up with another player very often at all to see dialogue from things like mixing records, etc.

This would probably be too obvious of a thing, but did you name anything in your file "BALLS"?

Also we've sure found a lot of qAF lately. :/

The only Pokémon in my party is my treecko named "TF PCHOP W" (I chose the letters out of nowhere.)

Maybe it comes from the pocket BALLS in the bag, which is the last bag pocket I had accessed.

Also, how did you get the Pokédex number "g89" to appear, it shows up as 000 ———- for me…

Edit: my trainer is named JNNA56 (also letters chosen out of nowhere)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-12-20 21:01:51

Also, how did you get the Pokédex number "g89" to appear, it shows up as 000 ———- for me…

It was a random occurrence. I don't know what determines it.