Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen 3 glitch berries (and glitch berry tags) - Page 1

Gen 3 glitch berries (and glitch berry tags)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-01-04 18:20:01
Otherwise known as: Adventures of my Glitchy Ruby Save File, Part (TM)34.

If you don't know, I used cheats on a brand new Ruby save file. This gives me access to 255 Pokémon. I also cheated the Retire option to warp to the Safari Zone. Current location: Lilycove City.

Enough of that, here's why I made this topic.

As you should know, some glitch moves corrupt RAM when their names are displayed. The 18th Pokémon from the bottom on my Ruby save contains three stable-enough glitch moves. One or more of them corrupt my Berry pocket, giving me two different glitch berries, quantity 12369.

I had the bright idea to check the tags. The first one causes a freeze. The second, however…

Well, it shows a glitched tag. Either a discoloured Cheri Berry tag with a glitch sprite, or a discoloured blank tag with a glitch sprite. Anyway, the fun begins when you go back to your bag.

This unknown glitch berry tag corrupts a lot of RAM. All items pockets got corrupted (TM34 was in every pocket, working as usual). On at least one occasion I got Doubleslap as an HM (HM 7920 in case you are wondering). Use one of the many, many ???????? items you have, and watch as Dad's message gives way to an insanely long corrupted name, that I let scroll by for five minutes before deciding enough was enough and resetting already. Using one of your TMs (choose a pocket, any pocket!) shows your party isn't corrupted, but even your gender got corrupted (I was Brendan, but the Bag's blue pattern changed to red). Unfortunately, the whole truth you never get to see. Exit your Bag to get a freeze. Maybe due to the insanely long name. I don't know.

Now then, who wants to hack the Pokémon and Retire options onto a brand new Ruby save and do this for yourself, as real hardware means I have absolutely no idea what the index number of this glitch berry is.

Or, by the way TM34s showed up in my berry pocket, maybe it's some kind of side-effect of a non-berry in the berry pocket? It could be a bog standard ???????? item for all I know.

Re: Gen 3 glitch berries (and glitch berry tags)

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2015-01-05 03:24:50
The main Berry data table is at 0x3CD2CC in Ruby. This stores the Berries names and stats, but not their tag sprites or usage effects. Each entry is 28 bytes, in the same format as the first 28 bytes of the Enigma Berry data, except that offsets 0xC and 0x10 are pointers to the two lines of the tag text.

I would guess, but havent confirmed, that the data for each Berry is looked up by a calculated offset from the start of the table, such that TM34s Berry data would be drawn from 0x3CE778, which is a zero-filled region. The name of this glitch Berry (this would the name that appears on the tag, e.g. CHERI, which is distinct from the item name, e.g. CHERI BERRY) appears to go on for 3563 characters before an FF terminator is found.

I tried hacking a TM34 into my Berries pocket, and it had this corrupted tag screen:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ZDQvtP8.png[/img]
After viewing that tag, I had pretty much the same effects you described; my item inventory was full of TM34s and ????????s (with Berry numbers ?0 and ?6), my trainer name in DADs advice was an interminable string of ぢs interspersed with în, and exiting the Bag caused a black screen with background music still playing.

Re: Gen 3 glitch berries (and glitch berry tags)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-01-05 05:30:12

After viewing that tag, I had pretty much the same effects you described; my item inventory was full of TM34s and ????????s (with Berry numbers ?0 and ?6), my trainer name in DADs advice was an interminable string of ぢs interspersed with în, and exiting the Bag caused a black screen with background music still playing.

Sounds about right. I tried planting one of the two glitch Berries I got and it said I planted a Cheri Berry. I'm not sure what it shows up as in the Berry Blender.

Regarding the trainer name you get after viewing the corrupted tag screen, I have a suspicion it has FD01 in it (which gets replaced by your name), causing a loop akin to that invalid Pokémon in Spanish Yellow (was it Spanish Yellow?) which had the byte in its name that gets replaced by "Enemy <Pokémon name>".

This loop could also be the reason why the game freezes after closing your bag, as it's trying to display an infinitely long name on the menu.

EDIT: I went into the bag, hacked FD01 into my name, and exited my bag, in the emulator. The game reset (after hitting a breakpoint I had set earlier) whilst trying to render the infinitely long name.

Another interesting thing to do would be to hack non-TM/HM items into the TMs/HMs pocket, as it tries to read the move name from an incorrect pointer. I hacked a Key Item into the TMs/HMs pocket (0x119, the Rm 1 key) and it showed up with a pretty long name. Using it gave the unusable message, as you'd expect.