Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Need help replicating a Japanese Ruby glitch to get a glitch Secret Base item - Page 1

Need help replicating a Japanese Ruby glitch to get a glitch Secret Base item

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-03-09 17:24:08
I saw a video of a glitch in Pocket Monsters Ruby where a glitch item appears in your list of Secret Base items. But I haven't been able to get it to work. The author themselves say that they do not know the exact cause of the glitch, but they seemed to think putting lots of dolls in a Secret Base can cause it to happen.

調不足で決なの要はまひみつきちでぬぐみく置ばななまでにのとの交てのとき火ての使なに注5,6繰だで結AってにととそのAと起きまではのはできま

They mention the item increase glitch (a derivative of the Mail and Trick glitch) but in one of their annotations they suggest that they aren't sure if the glitch can be done in the 'Mail glitch state'.

そくのは
(includes kanji I didn't bother to transcribe)できで
はなとできなとま

I tried the glitch both outside of and after causing the Mail and Trick glitch's item increase behaviour.

I think it's real because it appears to have been done on a Game Boy Player.

Secret Base items addresses may be affected by DMA (address location randomization), so food for thought is that this may affect whether you get one or not.

This is a video of the glitch. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9721286
If you have no Niconico account (http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9721286)

If anyone would like to play around with this too and try to get it to work, then thanks, I'd really appreciate it. :)
Save file outside of that Secret Base with lots of Pikachu dolls. https://mega.co.nz/#!RhFEgboS!Kw1itoxjsrbh6KbyFhptdnilhKrOal59v6H_rMmHKi4

Edit: They had three Pikachu dolls before with the blue Pokéball icon, what does that mean? 15 Secret Base items were up (16 is the max).

Edit 2: I got it to work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvoMpTlfPnU

Re: Need help replicating a Japanese Ruby glitch to get a glitch Secret Base item

Posted by: MidnightNinetales
Date: 2015-03-10 21:16:27
I got it to work too. I used the save file you supplied here, since I didn't notice the one in the description of the video, but it worked just fine. The first time, I did everything the same as in your video, except maybe when tossing some of the items, since that was a bit hard to keep track of. I got the same results as in your video (able to scroll past Cancel, all that glitchy stuff, then I pressed A and the palette started going crazy). I then tried it a few more times, but did stuff a bit differently. I found out that when the glitchy stuff comes up after scrolling too far past Cancel, it's possible to press up, down, or B instead of A, and they all have different effects.

B allows you to exit out of the current menu, which lets you escape from the glitch. You can just completely close the PC and walk away if you feel like it.

Up lets you scroll back up. You can go back past cancel and into the normal dolls. You can then exit if you feel like it.

Down lets you keep scrolling down! You'll encounter more glitchy stuff that makes you wait, but it never freezes. If you scroll far enough, you'll get to a point where you can scroll for several seconds without encountering glitchy stuff. Then it loops back around to the beginning, with the normal dolls. You can then exit if you feel like it.

I also tried the beginning steps differently: I put the first twelve dolls in a secret base, and then I did the rest of the glitch in my house. It works that way too. Though something a bit odd happened the first time, but didn't happen after that: When I pressed A at the glitchy stuff, after the palette glitched out a while, the game reset. I tried to replicate it, but couldn't. It either had something to do with the way I tossed dolls, or the buttons I pressed while the palette was glitching to see if I could get something to happen.

Re: Need help replicating a Japanese Ruby glitch to get a glitch Secret Base item

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2015-03-11 00:56:00
When I pressed A at the glitchy stuff, after the palette glitched out a while, the game reset.

This sounds similar to what happens when you view the summary of certain Bad EGGs.  Perhaps the restart could have a similar cause?

Date: 2015-03-11 10:28:34

This sounds similar to what happens when you view the summary of certain Bad EGGs.  Perhaps the restart could have a similar cause?

Well, it only reset that one time. Every other time I've tried it, it froze.

Date: 2015-03-11 11:58:17
Thanks for your research MidnightNinetales! So you can set up the glitch in your house too. When I tried to toss the item with an extremely long name from within my house and not my base, after the "Virtual Boy effect" I got a freeze with static playing afterwards that I never noticed before with the glitch inside my Secret Base.

It made me wonder if different locations give different results, but later the static effect happened in the base too, so that may be wrong.

Date: 2015-03-11 20:45:53

It made me wonder if different locations give different results, but later the static effect happened in the base too, so that may be wrong.

Actually, I think it's possible that different locations give different results. At least, slightly different results. I'm pretty sure the items seen below cancel before it gets glitchy were different in the secret base and the house. I can't read Japanese, but in the house, there were a few items with names, then some blank ones, then some more named items, whereas in the secret base, there was only one group of named items before the glitchy stuff happened. I think I'll make a video, since I'm feeling a bit of motivation to do so at the moment.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-03-12 18:41:08

Actually, I think it's possible that different locations give different results. At least, slightly different results. I'm pretty sure the items seen below cancel before it gets glitchy were different in the secret base and the house. I can't read Japanese, but in the house, there were a few items with names, then some blank ones, then some more named items, whereas in the secret base, there was only one group of named items before the glitchy stuff happened. I think I'll make a video, since I'm feeling a bit of motivation to do so at the moment.

Maybe it's something to do with the anti-cheat ASLR?

Date: 2015-03-14 16:17:12

Maybe it's something to do with the anti-cheat ASLR?

Sorry, but what's that?

Date: 2015-03-14 16:55:02
Wack0 probably means how in Emerald memory address locations are randomized (+ or - a few addresses) when you open and close a menu such as the Pokémon menu, use a warp, enter battle, etc. That "anti-DMA" code prevents this.

Here is an actual example:

[img]http://i2.minus.com/iXzjpgd2bfbw2.png[/img]

(If a glitch name uses a memory address that has a random purpose, the name could be random too)

Address randomization explains why Pomeg hidden party scrolling corruption often doesn't give the same results, and it also probably explains why the "Guess Who?" glitch gives you random NPCs.

I did a cursory check of a few addresses from different areas of the writable memory in Ruby and Japanese Ruby and I couldn't spot any address locations changing after opening the Pokémon menu, so I'm not sure if anti-cheat ASLR applies to Ruby.