Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Emerald Teach move Glitch - Page 1

Emerald Teach move Glitch

Posted by: amoeba
Date: 2015-08-16 19:19:25
First time posting so go easy on me if I do something dumb. I'm an emerald speedrunner, and was recently doing some glitched runs when I accidentally activated this glitch. Managed to recreate it and make a video of it . Not sure if this has been discovered before, but I was told I should post it here, in case someone knows about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RX2wRVnZOk&feature=youtu.be

Re: Emerald Teach move Glitch

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-08-17 16:05:22
Learning a move within the evolution cutscene is intended behaviour. You can see it also when you evolve Combusken into Blaziken at level 36.

EDIT: serves me right for being too lazy to watch the video all the way through :D

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2015-08-17 18:29:11
Theres no possibility of breaking the game through the move-learning dialogue tree, since the game only keeps track of which question its currently asking, and not all of the options youve selected to get there.

The evolution cutscene includes its own implementation of the move-learning procedure, separate from the one used for level-up, TM/HM, and Move Tutor moves. It looks like the code that runs during the Delete a move to make room for? question in the evolution cutscene is a bit sloppy:

These are separate if statements for each button, rather than an if-else chain, so when these buttons are simultaneously pressed, each of these things will happen in sequence; if both A and B are pressed while the cursor is on Yes, it will set the move selection as the next question, fade to black, and then change the question to Stop learning? This all happens before the next question is loaded, so the move selection menu never appears and the Stop learning? text is rendered into a black screen.

Oddly, when I tried this glitch in the no$gba emulator, the red cursor for the Yes/No options was still visible on what was otherwise a black screen.

Posted by: amoeba
Date: 2015-08-18 10:47:58
Yeah Wack0 I knew that one, the reason I found this was because we always get Mud Shot on the Mudkip evo at lvl16 in speedruns.

And thanks Hacky, my knowledge of the coding/whatever of the games isn't great. Good to know that there's nothing more interesting that can be done with this, if a little disappointing. Nice that I pretty much knew what was happening too.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-08-21 12:53:12
Welcome to the forums amoeba! Nice to see another speedrunner :D (we have a few here or people experienced in the field who have made posts like werster, luckytyphlosion, MrWint, Dabomstew).

First time posting so go easy on me if I do something dumb

No, you didn't do anything wrong. Your post was informative and you shared a new glitch that didn't seem to be documented before. :)

I have got the glitch to work in Ruby, Japanese Ruby and FireRed as well.

Here is a video that includes the glitch in Ruby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIooN4DX3TU

Oddly, when I tried this glitch in the no$gba emulator, the red cursor for the Yes/No options was still visible on what was otherwise a black screen.

Interesting.

When I tried the glitch in English Ruby in the VBA emulator, the red box that normally surrounds "YES" or "NO" was still visible. The box did not appear in Japanese Ruby, FireRed or Emerald (which apparently do not have it).

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-08-24 11:31:38

When I tried the glitch in English Ruby in the VBA emulator, the red box that normally surrounds "YES" or "NO" was still visible. The box did not appear in Japanese Ruby, FireRed or Emerald (which apparently do not have it).

The red focus rectangle is only used by the Western Ruby and Sapphire due to the large font. Japanese Ruby and Sapphire and all versions of FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald use a black focus arrow.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-08-24 15:36:57

The red focus rectangle is only used by the Western Ruby and Sapphire due to the large font. Japanese Ruby and Sapphire and all versions of FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald use a black focus arrow.

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-08-24 15:57:11

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome :)