Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Parallel universe - Page 1

Parallel universe

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-10-24 07:08:48
Since people on my channel keep making jokes about parallel universes (a reference to the Mario 64 glitcher pannenkeok), I remembered MasterGamerPro essentially forced one in Pokémon Ruby in their co-op mode video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFRiyHVvz4g
http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald_Co-op_Mode

This makes me curious whether you could viably get to one with glitch move arbitrary code execution.

Re: Parallel universe

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-10-24 12:04:48
I don't get how he did it. I tried it, but it took me 12 hours to get to Petalburg (building speed, y'know ?). I guess he just cut it in the video.

Okay, seriously. I don't get how this happens (like, how does he reach Petalburg ? What combination of flags and game states triggers this ?), but I'm wondering whether this is possible with Emerald.

Also what do you mean by "getting it via ACE" ? We'd still need two games… also the pun on "parallel" universes here is quite fun.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-10-24 12:29:10
Goddamn it ISSOtm, you took my joke.
Anyway, we need to do this in 0.25 A presses.

Okay, seriously. I don't get how this happens (like, how does he reach Petalburg ? What combination of flags and game states triggers this ?), but I'm wondering whether this is possible with Emerald.

Also what do you mean by "getting it via ACE" ? We'd still need two games… also the pun on "parallel" universes here is quite fun.

The game sets the flags related to linking, for example, if you are in the Colosseum\trade center\record mixer. Warping to Petalburg is triggered by the game thinking that the warp has no exit set, which then redirects you to bank 0 map 0 - Petalburg.
I think that getting it via ACE is impossible, as you would need to somehow manipulate the warp to take you to any outdoor map, the warp data is stored in the ROM (READ-ONLY-memory), so you would need to do something else. Only if you could write a code to allow usage of the Escape Rope, then redirect it to a outdoor map. Then, possibly.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-10-24 20:26:34
*pannenkoek

although teeechnically he does have an alternate channel named pannenkeok which is kinda strange but whatever *shrugs*

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-10-25 04:53:16

Goddamn it ISSOtm, you took my joke.
Anyway, we need to do this in 0.25 A presses.

Hm. You mean we'd need to release A as soon as we begin ? That's a wonderful idea ! I didn't think of it before :D

I think that getting it via ACE is impossible, as you would need to somehow manipulate the warp to take you to any outdoor map, the warp data is stored in the ROM (READ-ONLY-memory), so you would need to do something else. Only if you could write a code to allow usage of the Escape Rope, then redirect it to a outdoor map. Then, possibly.

What about calling the warping function, giving it a pointer to a specially crafted warp structure ?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2016-10-31 07:19:11
*pannenkoek

although teeechnically he does have an alternate channel named pannenkeok which is kinda strange but whatever *shrugs*

Which is now called UncommentatedPannen.

Also, an A press is an A press. You can't say it's only a quarter. [img]https://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/emoticons/v1/2868/1.0[/img]

Date: 2016-10-31 10:13:55
Hmmm, actually, there wass a channel named "paennkeok2012"… However, it was deleted just recently. At this time, his uncommentated version already existed.
Also, I made a error, it was ment to be "x0.5", not "x0.25". Look at paennkoek's "*levelname.mp4* in 0.5 A presses" videos.

Posted by: Xiphiidae
Date: 2016-10-31 17:14:15

Hmmm, actually, there wass a channel named "paennkeok2012"… However, it was deleted just recently. At this time, his uncommentated version already existed.
Also, I made a error, it was ment to be "x0.5", not "x0.25". Look at paennkoek's "*levelname.mp4* in 0.5 A presses" videos.

Pannenkeok2012 wasn't deleted, it still exists (at the same URL), but it now named UncommentatedPannen'.

Date: 2016-10-31 17:47:19
Ummmmm, ok. Now we need to clone a 100 coin star… Ok, no more Paennkoek memes… and conserve horizontal speed into the demo to desinc it, oh. Ok. Ok. Please make me stop.

Posted by: Metarkrai
Date: 2016-11-07 18:16:19
If you don't forget to take steepness into account when moving through the map at QPU speed, and if you update the HOLP in Emerald beforehand, then you have a blueprint to enter parallel universes.

I tried in Emerald, but as the glitchcity page suggested, it doesn't work (you can enter and exit the trading rooms alone or with the hostess, but you are never teleported to Petalburg.)
I also tried all Battle Frontier facilities, but the warps work well for all of them.
If you're picky, you could try to warp into Battle Pyramid to a floor above Floor 7 (there's a value somewhere that manages the floor you're on). This way, you can go to upper floors until you meet something that freezes the game (issue with graphics or loading the next map, probably).
There are not many things that I see achievable with a teleport to a precise point in a map (except for getting into Safari Zone, walking on Cycling Road, getting back into the truck, getting to the e-reader floor)
If you want to steal Battle Factory Pokémon (as you could do it with a teleportation code), there is an ACE for that, but it doesn't use any teleport command.

FrLg are maybe more interesting regarding the trading center than Emerald.