Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Need help with wild Mew glitch in Emerald I did years ago (not joking/trolling) - Page 1

Need help with wild Mew glitch in Emerald I did years ago (not joking/trolling)

Posted by: MorganaTwist
Date: 2017-07-11 19:58:35
Hello everyone I'm Morgana and new to the forums.

I came here to discuss Gen I, II, and III glitches but most importantly, to discuss a glitch I did a long time ago in Emerald that I have forgotten how to do correctly.

I can find NO TRACES of it online from anyone other than a prank youtube video where the guy uses a Gameshark to cheat/hack the Mew in, instead of doing the glitch method I have done for years. I need help remembering how to do it and hopefully someone else here knows how to do it right and has done it before. :-\

Okay so here's the story and method, please forgive me for the long post as I wanted to put as much detail in as possible to help others help me figure it out.

……

So there was this glitch trick in Emerald (official authentic USA version of the game) a
while back that I vividly recall doing correctly in order to glitch the beginning of the
game to get a wild Mew to show up for me in the beginning town the character moves
to.

I specifically recall doing these steps but my memory is bad so I could be doing it
incorrectly and it has been years. I would appreciate it if someone who knows how to do
the trick correctly could tell me what I am doing wrong because I KNOW this works for
a fact. Ive done it before several times. But I think I am doing the steps wrong.

There IS a youtube video about this online but its done by a GBA Gameshark hacker who
is pranking/trolling and while he does hit some nails on the head about how to do this
trick his way is incorrect because he is cheating using codes to make that video.
BUT THERE IS A LEGIT WAY to this glitch/trick. I recall doing this myself a few years
ago. No this is not a troll/joke post I am being completely sincere and serious.

Okay here are the steps as I remember it mixed in with the videos steps.

Step 1: Pick a male character and name it AJ (or is it Aj or does the name even really
matter or the gender of the character?)

Step 2: Set the clock to 2:00 (PM or AM or maybe a different time?) when prompted to
do so by your characters mom.

Step 3: Go through the entire storyline between you and the professor's daughter (or son)
without talking to ANY NPCs besides them (does this mess up the trick?) and get to the
point where you get the Pokedex and the Pokeballs from the professor's kid.

Step 4: (optional step?) get the running shoes from your characters mother (do you even
have to do this or will it mess up the glitch?)

Step 5: Talk to the two NPCs that are in your starter town near the sign of your neighbor
Brenden's house (is it the little girl and the chubby guy? the chubby guy and the thin
guy? the little girl and the thin guy? in WHAT order do you talk to these NPCs and
which specific ones do you actually talk to?) and do it at least 5 times each per NPC (is it
5 times? 6? 3? 10 times? How many times do you actually talk to these guys per each of
them and in what order makes the glitch work?)

Step 6: Right after talking to them in the right order and as many times as is required,
suddenly a chat box will pop up with the text "Myuuu…." and then a RANDOM wild
cheat glitch Mew will appear for you to catch for your team or KO! (I would personally
CATCH it not kill it).

The thing is… I vividly recall in my mind actually DOING this glitch years ago and it
actually working. I know it was on my Emerald cartridge as it doesnt work on Ruby or
Sapphire. No I am not pulling your leg… the hackers video brought it back up in my mind
and refreshed my memory of doing it but I cannot remember the exact steps to make it
work!

Grrrr does ANYONE know the proper way to do this glitch step by step without
using a hacking cheating device like a Gameshark or AR and can anyone else confirm
they have done this trick before and it actually working?

I remember doing the trick once long ago before even having the POKEDEX from the
professor so the wild mew came up as a black and white "?" on the battle field! I know I
am not crazy or losing my mind and that I actually accomplished this trick and had tons
of Mews in my PC from using the copy glitch at Battle Tower.
But I JUST CANT REMEMBER how exactly I did it and I am pulling my hair out trying
to remember. D:

I recall TWO awesome Mew glitches in my youth in playing Pokemon. The Red/Blue
Mew glitch that works on Nugget bridge and THIS ONE for Emerald GBA.
Someone please help me solve this so we can get our Mews! 

I have been glitching these old Pokemon games since the 90's so I swear I am not trolling
or joking and that THIS IS REAL. I have done it before. Just seems that no one else
knows about this or the steps besides this hacker guy on Youtube pulling everyone's leg
with a fake video but SOME of his steps are actually correct on how to do it in game
without a cheat device!

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated. Thank you! Also nice to meet you all. ;)

~Morgana

Re: Need help with wild Mew glitch in Emerald I did years ago (not joking/trolling)

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-07-11 20:55:49
This is almost definitely a false memory of some kind, unless there really is some epic glitch that nobody figured out for some reason.

Re: Need help with wild Mew glitch in Emerald I did years ago (not joking/trolling)

Date: 2017-07-12 00:31:10

This is almost definitely a false memory of some kind, unless there really is some epic glitch that nobody figured out for some reason.

No… I am almost absolutely 99.9% positive I did it. I can recall this happening in my minds eye exactly me doing it and recalling and remembering. Its not all hazy like a dream its vivid and direct. As I said in my post, I even recall taking the steps before having the Pokedex and the mew making a cry and showing up as a round white circle with a black edge and a black question mark inside it because having no dex meant dex couldnt identify it. Then doing it over again WITH the dex and seeing Mew because I now had the dex to identify it. I remember this happening exactly just like that and me being frustrated because I had no pokeballs to catch it with. Hmmm… odd isn't it? I do remember it tho. I KNOW Ive done it I just cant recall exactly how. A little kid told me about it years ago step by step and I remember going home, trying it after writing it all down on a piece of random paper and having luckily enough a pen and then doing it going "holy crap… the kid was right" and being all excited when I got the Mew to come out and caught it.

Date: 2017-07-12 01:31:53

Also, keep in mind the main reason (and I probably should have mentioned this in my main post) that I even went LOOKING online for this glitch trick and found the GBA Gameshark hackers video, was not because I accidentally randomly just stumbled across it, watched it, then had a false memory implanted in my brain tricking me.

The whole reason I searched "Mew Emerald Glitch" into my browser and discovered this video was because I went looking for it intentionally. And that was because I had just done the Red/Blue Mew trick on my GBA for fun on my Red game file both the old school one and my virtual copy on my 3DS from the Eshop.

In doing that glitch over again after years of having done it to see if I could remember how to do it right, that connected my brain's memory to a glitch I had also done years LATER in Emerald after having heard about the Mew glitch in Red/Blue that could be done in Emerald. In that moment I recalled having done it before on my own in the Emerald game on my physical save file, because some kid in my past had told me about it and I recalled doing it successfully step by step as the kid had instructed me.

In remembering this that triggered me to go look it up online and only THEN is when I found the video of the guy using a Gameshark GBA cheat to do it… but HIS STEPS/METHOD of doing it clicked a sense of familiarity in me on how I HAD done it all those years ago and he was "somewhat" right on the money but his steps were wrong and not to mention he was clearly hacking with a device.

So no, I dont believe this is a case of "false memory" implanted in my head by this hack video. I already knew about it and recalled it even before I went searching it up intentionally and discovering this guys video.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-07-13 07:24:30
Problem is, interacting with NPCs has no influence over the game's RAM whatsoever (besides turning the NPC and displaying the textbox) so this isn't possible. Also the text "Myuuu…" is NOT present anywhere in the ROM as far as I know. So, I deem this impossible.

Date: 2017-07-14 00:07:13

Problem is, interacting with NPCs has no influence over the game's RAM whatsoever (besides turning the NPC and displaying the textbox) so this isn't possible. Also the text "Myuuu…" is NOT present anywhere in the ROM as far as I know. So, I deem this impossible.

Perhaps. I mean you could be right, that makes sense, and I could be totally wrong or remembering something wrong but I just have this strong feeling that I am not as I vividly recall doing these steps and doing it myself in game successfully.

I still have this strong memory of doing it years ago successfully and getting a Mew. It was like one of those hidden things that Nintendo programmed into the game. Kind of like how they programmed Mew in Red/blue with the fly, trainer, nugget bridge, glitch to get Mew. It was in the game somehow so I think they put it there whether by accident through mistakes in code due to the Missingno. glitch or on purpose.

Like a top secret thing that most people weren't supposed to know about. Some game creators have done this over the years programming secret characters, bosses, levels, and text within their games, mostly for testing purposes or just mainly for fun to see if anyone finds it or figures it out. I think that was what I remember the kid telling me years ago about the Mew glitch in Emerald when he showed me the steps to do it.

He said the mew was a glitch but programmed in and that not many people, besides Nintendo's game programmers and coders knew about it. He even showed me on his physical Emerald copy of the game in his GBA doing it and showing it to me. I wrote the steps down on paper, went home tried it, got the Mew and was super excited. I even remember dancing around the room with my GBA all hyper because it worked and enjoying battling in the game with my glitch Mew.

I mean memories are not normally something that can be wrong as its a persons personal experience stored in their head untouched and if you guys only knew me in person you would know just how good my memory is when it comes to games, books, movies, and all kinds of stuff I have stored in my brain when it comes to info and entertainment.

My mind is a steel trap for video game and movie knowledge and books or comics. Its not like me to have false memories, incorrect memories, or misquote something. I know tons of movie and game dialogue by heart because of the many years spent watching and playing them so I am like a walking wiki when it comes to games, movies, and books.

This is why this feels so odd to me that this trick no longer works or that I can no longer recall the steps exactly as I had done them before. I remember doing it and having it be successful, but just not the steps taken in order to get there. And its not like me to forget or misremember something like that.

Ive been glitching and playing games like this for YEARS.
I would know in my own head whether or not something like this was done and possible or not based on my own experiences. I cant explain why this suddenly has been erased from me or why its seemingly missing from the game now and no longer works when I KNOW for sure it used to. I dunno. Im stumped. D:

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-07-15 12:16:13
Whoa there. Mew was indeed programmed into the game, sure. But first : it was a joke between devs. It wasn't supposed to be shown to the public.

The Mew Glitch is purely unintentional. If it allows to encounter Mew with this NPC, it's pure luck. It was never programmed in, rather, it results of a series of oversights in the games code. I can assure you, even if you can think "Yeah but to be so complex it had to be intentional", it's not. I could explain why.

But anyways, due to the very differences in the way the games are programmed, there's NO WAY such a glitch could be possible in Emerald. Also, Mew is NOT a glitch. It's some really programmed Pokémon. Fully programmed. Just not supposed to be accessed. You know, a joke. Originally, at least.

But I stress it, this memory is wrong. You probably did the glitch on Red, Blue or Yellow, but not in Emerald.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-07-15 13:17:58
Hello Morgana and welcome to GCLF.

First of all no one is calling you a liar. You seem pretty convinced of what you say and we understand that.
However, the glitch as you described seems to be… impossible.

I don't think the devs have implemented this on purpose either. If you try it in all the sort of ways that could match what you remember, it probably won't work. As hard as it may be to hear, I also have a tendency to say that your brain is mixing elements and gets you confused.

However, if you manage to make this work legitly at some point, we will be very interested :)

Posted by: Mefista
Date: 2017-07-18 03:09:58
Hey, perhaps it's that "mandela effect" some people like talking about - reality changed, and you are the among ones who remembers the old one.

Like that cartoon about a metal band with magical powers only I and girl whom I randomly spoke to once seem to remember.You know,the one that first episode of Metalocalypse had a shout-out to.

Posted by: natanelho
Date: 2017-07-23 11:09:15
take this- a real way to get mew (with lots of glitches) which I take as real even tho I didnt do it myself, produced by respected forum member-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sCWRHeTp0s

cant see any of the steps you talked about, it involves a hard glitch named "pomeg glitch"

Posted by: Metarkrai
Date: 2017-07-23 17:34:36
If you had a Gameshark/AR back in the days, and if (like me) you entered many/random codes found on the internet, you might have used a code that overwrites the next NPC script that the game wants to execute by the Mew script.

At least, this is the only kind of code that allows you to get the Mew fight (along with the Myuuu/Miou/don'tremember dialogue and the Mew sprite appearing) while talking to a NPC.

And as the others said, aside from controlled and very specific arbitrary code execution using glitch moves and Pomeg Glitch, there is no known way to change the adresses that manage the scripts of the NPC on the current map to something else (let aside the ability to manipulate that and obtain the adress for the Mew script).
If that sort of manipulation existed, things would have been awesome for abritrary code execution.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2017-07-27 13:29:06
I'd say it's almost definitely a dream you had.

I was totally convinced a couple years ago that Irish-language versions of the legendary bird trio had been printed in the Trading Card Game for one specific event in Dublin. I had thought this for a long time, decided one day to try to get my hands on some, only for everyone to tell me they don't exist. I dreamt it.