Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Berry glitch in Pokemon Emerald? EDIT: A version of this glitch IS in Emerald - Page 1

Berry glitch in Pokemon Emerald? EDIT: A version of this glitch IS in Emerald

Posted by: 8F
Date: 2017-07-12 03:00:31
Hi everyone,

I'm currently experiencing something strange with my Emerald game: I am unable to get berries from the berry master or his wife; they both tell me to come back tomorrow.

Now, the reason I find this so strange is that my internal battery has NOT run dry. Not only do I not get the message of it happening when starting the game but the clock in the main character's house still works.

That said, I always thought the berry glitch was only in Ruby and Sapphire (heck, doesn't emerald actually have a patch for it!?), so I'm quite confused on what exactly is going on and was hoping someone here could provide some insight?

Re: Berry glitch in Pokemon Emerald? EDIT: A version of this glitch IS in Emerald

Date: 2017-07-12 03:58:38
Ok, I think I've found the cause.

However, before going into that, could we please document this? Searching online suggests that this has happened to a number of people, however anyone trying to find help online is just told that they are wrong as the berry glitch is only in RS and that their battery has run dry, or that they have bought a fake copy of the game. The only bit of info I've found on this is the link below and the thread on the berry glitch here that has a paragraph at the end explaining it.

Anyway, I believe the problem isn't specifically the berry glitch but one that functions in the exact same way, i.e. while the clock and other time based events will still work but berries will not grow and ncps will no longer give out items daily.

The glitch is caused by changing the internal battery on a cart and continuing the game on the same save file (starting a new game fixes the problem).

I'll let this link explain the technicalities as it does a good job:
http://furlocks-forest.net/wiki/?page=Pokemon_Ruby/Sapphire_New_Battery_Glitch

That said, I still need help on fixing this, I really don't want to restart my save and, as far as I know, flashcarts have been outlawed here in the UK. Any suggestions?

Re: Berry glitch in Pokemon Emerald? EDIT: A version of this glitch IS in Emerald

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2017-07-12 05:33:59

That said, I still need help on fixing this, I really don't want to restart my save and, as far as I know, flashcarts have been outlawed here in the UK. Any suggestions?

The ban, from the sources I have, appears to 1- only apply to the "R4" brand, 2- on the blatantly false assumption that their only purpose is running pirated software (although most DSi-compatible flashcards do indeed come with copyright-infringing firmware preinstalled, being the only way for them to run - so ironically the original R4 is more legal than current alternatives), and 3- only applies to selling or trading - so buying for your personal use is fine even on paper, so frankly I would just give them the V and just order flashcards online from a reputable seller, like nds-card…

Traditional GBA flashcards used an external programmer, which are probably very cheap by now, and most of which can read and write retail games; however they typically require WinXP or older and a real parallel port (most parallel to USB adapters are specifically for use with printers), plus they're rather rare… check out http://reinerziegler.de/GBA/gba.htm

A variant on those programmers used a PC to GBA link cable and the download play feature; but it would be the most limited way (though a clock-setting program should be able to fit in memory)!

The fourth option not listed on the website you linked, is sending a mystery gift e-card that enables the clock reset feature… but it still has the fundamental issue of needing a way to run homebrew or other save dumpers.

Date: 2017-07-12 05:58:26

The ban, from the sources I have, appears to 1- only apply to the "R4" brand, 2- on the blatantly false assumption that their only purpose is running pirated software (although most DSi-compatible flashcards do indeed come with copyright-infringing firmware preinstalled, being the only way for them to run - so ironically the original R4 is more legal than current alternatives), and 3- only applies to selling or trading - so buying for your personal use is fine even on paper, so frankly I would just give them the V and just order flashcards online from a reputable seller, like nds-card…

Traditional GBA flashcards used an external programmer, which are probably very cheap by now, and most of which can read and write retail games; however they typically require WinXP or older and a real parallel port (most parallel to USB adapters are specifically for use with printers), plus they're rather rare… check out http://reinerziegler.de/GBA/gba.htm

A variant on those programmers used a PC to GBA link cable and the download play feature; but it would be the most limited way (though a clock-setting program should be able to fit in memory)!

The fourth option not listed on the website you linked, is sending a mystery gift e-card that enables the clock reset feature… but it still has the fundamental issue of needing a way to run homebrew or other save dumpers.

Thanks for your reply!

However, in regards to only R4s being banned, I believe it acctually is all falsh cards as "game copiers" were the subject of the case. That said, while it is illegal to sell them, I think it's fine to buy them, the prolem is that I'd have to import it which was also made illegal… The only listing on ebay is a GBA one from Isreal and other websites are american…

It's a shame that the in-game adjustment isn't avaliable… From what I understand it is activated through a mystery gift. Could we theoretically create a e-reader card to unlock the event? However, this wouldn't help me as we're talking about the PAL region…

Other than this, would it be possible to write a custom time to the game through the use of ACE?

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2017-07-13 09:43:38

The only listing on ebay is a GBA one from Isreal and other websites are american…

eBay (and their then subsidiary Paypal, and Visa) have been lobbied by certain megacorps to punish sellers of modchips and flashcards, sorry (at least those openly claiming to do so - my favourite seller accepts them with a generic "order number X" payment description)

It's a shame that the in-game adjustment isn't avaliable… From what I understand it is activated through a mystery gift. Could we theoretically create a e-reader card to unlock the event? However, this wouldn't help me as we're talking about the PAL region…

Sure it could, in fact I think the first time this feature was discovered was the leak of the Ruby debug version which includes simulated e-cards to send to another game!
(Pokemon e-cards are locked to the language of the game, of course they can be edited, then again it's still the same issue of needing a GBA flashcard/GBA-PC link cable/save dumper/e-reader+high resolution printer+e-card data to image converter, do they even exist?)

Other than this, would it be possible to write a custom time to the game through the use of ACE?

It should, but someone who isn't me would need to actually write that code with the help of the disassembly :)