Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Intresting find regarding Glitch Pokémon sprites with Prof.Oak & Old Man - Page 1

Intresting find regarding Glitch Pokémon sprites with Prof.Oak & Old Man

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2017-11-23 09:36:35
Hi  :)

So i was just re-documenting some Gen1 Pokémon on all different Inernational Versions. And today when i was gonna go encounter all Glitch Pokémon in Japanese Yellow I thought just for fun that it would be funny to try encounter them with Prof.Oak in the "cutscene" when Pikachu attacks you at edge of Pallet Town with the Wild Pokémon Encounter modifyer game shark code

So i Encountered a couple of Glitch Pokémon, did my usual thing and just took screenshots of them and took notes and moved on to the next one and so on…

Then i realized midway that it was kind of dumb to use Oak in the first place since then i could actually get the Pokédex entries for all glitch pokémons which i also wanted to document. So i switched back to not using Oak and just encountering them on my own like usuall with the Wild Pokémon Encounter modifyer game shark code.

But then; I realized all of the Sprites for Every Glitch Pokémon turned out different from when i encountered them with Prof.Oak.

I thought at first that this alone was quite intresting, so i tried it with English Pokémon Yellow too and it worked there aswell; Different Sprites for each Glitch Pokémon when encountering them normally and with Prof.Oak.

But then i thought, "Wait, There's the Old Man i Viridian City, too. I wonder if the Sprites will turn out different with the Old Man too?". And yep, they did. And i also tried it with English Red/Blue & Japanese Red/green, the Old Man also made Glitch Pokémon appear with different sprites than if you'd encounter them regulary.

I attached a comparison between different sprites that i compiled in one .png-image just as example, so the HEX index i used for the examples doesn't really matter, i just picked a glitch pokémons HEX without choosing a specific one, it does work with almost all of them.

Also Worth noting is that this must most likely happend in all other versions of Gen1 such as Red/Blue & Yellow in German, Spanish, Italian & French Versions too, i just tried with English & Japanese so far…

Pls tell me if you have any input, ideas or explanations. Because I'm not 100% sure yet why all this is the case.

That's all, thanks

//coloradohugge ;D

Re: Intresting find regarding Glitch Pokémon sprites with Prof.Oak & Old Man

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2017-11-23 09:57:45
woah, this is actually pretty cool! i never realized why some people saw different sprites, and i always saw just one. i think maybe the game is hardcoded to choose from the bank Pikachu (Oak) or Weedle (Old Man) is in.

interestingly enough, for h poke i see a different sprite than you do for regular battles, what is the crc32 of your rom? maybe i've just been playing a different one for all these years. :p
[size=1pt]you could see five or six sprites, or just one. *pose*[/size]

EDIT: on further investigation, the game chooses the bank for the sprite based on $d058, but the data for the pokemon based on $cfd7, which would explain this. if you walk into the grass, the pokemon will always be pikachu, therefore it will talke the sprite data from the bank of wherever pikachu is. if you watch the old man, the sprite will take from the bank of wherever weedle is. this also works with normal battles, if you walk into pallet town with the code 01c6d7cf on, it will sometimes show the normal sprite, and sometimes show slowpoke's, due to having pokemon in different banks show up. this works with any pokemon whose sprite is sourced from $4000-$8000.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-11-23 09:59:22
Quite interesting indeed. I'll take a look at the disassembly for any difference.

Also, if this could be moved to Gen I Glitch Discussion, please.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-06 06:38:13
Wow this is amazing. Thanks coloradohugge.

I believe there could be further applications to this if the pointer is in banked ROM, as it could land on a pointer with zero dimension information sometimes but not other times, which could potentially lead to corruption effects like ?/ (EC) and p (F4).

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-01-14 00:05:18
Are there any hidden pokemon sprites in the code of any games that are pokemon that don't exist?

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-01-14 08:18:45

Are there any hidden pokemon sprites in the code of any games that are pokemon that don't exist?

No. At least not in gen 1. All sprites in the code are used.

I can't speak for later generations, however, but I presume it to be the same.

Date: 2018-01-14 09:34:37
Was the beta sprites in gen II in the code of the final release of the games?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-01-14 09:53:38
Likely not.

Generation IV has unused Pokémon sprites however, and Generation III has two unused cries (found in the leaked Pokémon Ruby German Debugging Version 0509A, unsure if they remain in the final game).

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Diamond_and_Pearl_beta#Sprites_2
https://tcrf.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_Diamond_and_Pearl/Unused_Graphics

https://tcrf.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_Ruby_and_Sapphire#Unused_Pok%C3%A9mon_Cries

Kabichuu, (the Japanese name for the unused placeholder items named Teru-Sama) also sounds like a Pokémon name that is a combination of Snorlax (Kabigon) and Pikachu, but may be something different such as a developer joke.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2018-02-21 10:42:35

Generation IV has unused Pokémon sprites however, and Generation III has two unused cries (found in the leaked Pokémon Ruby German Debugging Version 0509A, unsure if they remain in the final game).

The unused cries are in every Generation III game, you can listen to them from Sound Check (), which is equally present across the 5 versions.

Date: 2018-03-13 10:59:04
Cool! Thanks SatoMew! I should see if any of the unused cries would fit my  Fakemon. I love the mystery of glitchmon.