Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Oddball National Dex Numbers in ?????????? Glitch Mons? - Page 1

Oddball National Dex Numbers in ?????????? Glitch Mons?

Posted by: Flashlight237
Date: 2018-09-23 05:08:53
So yeah, I managed to get some odd-ball Pokedex numbers. I managed to find creatures with more readable National Dex numbers, like one with #508 (Stoutland's dex number) and another with #480 (Uxie's dex number), but then I got decamarks with numbers with odd symbols in front, ex. #40 (which was achieved with Decamark with Hex ID #0356). I also remember getting a guy whose national dex number started with an exclamation point (!) and very recently, I found a decamark, specifically Hex ID #35C, whose national dex number started with a dotted U ().

Is there a good reference as to what these odd symbols mean beyond clearly representing dex numbers over 999?

Re: Oddball National Dex Numbers in ?????????? Glitch Mons?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-09-23 09:26:20
That's interesting!

The glitch symbols may be beyond a data storage somewhere, maybe you can work out with a VRAM viewer or another resource like Bulbapedia's character encoding in Generation III article. Perhaps it's possible to work out the exact Dex number with VBA's cheat searcher (if you encounter #508 apply the search for "508", and then 480, apply the search for "#480" to narrow down the results).

This way you may be able to get the exact Pokédex number and probably all you'd have to do to work out what the symbol means is divide it by 1000, then ignore the remainder.

Re: Oddball National Dex Numbers in ?????????? Glitch Mons?

Posted by: Flashlight237
Date: 2018-09-23 17:16:06
Seems to be one way or two as to how to go about it. Thing is using the cheat search will be a bit of a chore to do without a bit of programming knowledge. Best I can do is assume the system works the same way as it did with Super Mario Bros (1 tile for each value) and go from there (ex. =20), but even that's rudimentary.