Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Any way to use ACE in Pokemon Emerald to make Shinies? - Page 1

Any way to use ACE in Pokemon Emerald to make Shinies?

Posted by: Reclaimer Shawn
Date: 2019-04-01 01:13:10
I remember being able to use the Coin Case for ACE in Pokemon Gold to get shiny pokemon. Considering ACE is achievable in Pokemon Emerald, is there a way to use ACE to make a pokemon shiny by changing its TID, SID, and PID? I'm very familiar with the Pomeg Glitch, some of its sub-glitches, and have a Cloning Pokemon on an English cartridge of the game.

Re: Any way to use ACE in Pokemon Emerald to make Shinies?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-04-01 01:54:35
Technically, yes, you could use the decamark 0x097D or glitch move 0x27A2 (not on the wiki, apparently) to rewrite each of those byte by byte…technically. Whether or not you want to is the real question here. ACE is achievable, but it's nowhere near as streamlined as in the first two generations. However, RNG manipulation is far more streamlined than in any other generation (YMMV for Gen 5). The ridiculously long ACE methods could get you shinies that are effectively illegal hacks. RNG can get you ones that are fully legitimate in minutes. If you really want to do the first one, I could try to get you hooked up with one of the few people with a good grasp on it, but it probably isn't what you want here.

Posted by: Reclaimer Shawn
Date: 2019-04-01 02:29:07
I'd be grateful if you showed me the ACE method, even if it is incredibly long and complicated. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Date: 2019-04-01 03:04:37
All of I know of are this, this, and this. If you ask in the Gen III section on Discord you might be able to find out more.

Any particular reason you want to use ACE for it?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-04-01 03:27:39

All of I know of are [urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgN7UUpX0x0]this,, this, and this. If you ask in the Gen III section on Discord you might be able to find out more.

Any particular reason you want to use ACE for it?

Hey Reclaimer Shawn, welcome to the forums! :)

Sleipnir17 (not to be confused with Metarkrai) is a great relatively obscure glitch YouTuber focusing (at present) on Generation III. I believe his work is based on Metarkrai's Pastebin pastes. Specifically, this one is about arbitrary code execution.

If I make a video about arbitrary code execution in Generation III before anyone has done this, I'll let you know a procedure to make any Pokémon Shiny. (Perhaps Metarkrai already has it written down somewhere; I wouldn't be surprised as he hunts Shinies). However, from experience when I finished manipulating legit Mew and Deoxys without the event and according to Metarkrai's pastes, it's possible arbitrary code execution would (viably, or perhaps you could do it without with enough patience and trial and error) require RNG Reporter, specifically "Smeargles with a Corruption Type of : 7 ,4" in which case you'd probably be better off just using RNG Abuse to get most Shinies (hmm I wonder whether there is a potential work around with Spinda; as their spots are based on the personality value). You can also use this glitch method for the 1/8192 chance for unobtainable Shinies apparently, which you may be able to apply RNG Abuse to. (Sherkel knows a lot more about RNG Abuse than me so he may be able to help :))

Hope this helps.

Date: 2019-04-01 03:58:26
So apparently you don't need particular glitch Pokémon or moves anymore, but still quite a long-winded process to write to the PID and obtain a hacked shiny. It's up to you.

@Quirky Flower Chicken, wouldn't the Spinda need to Sketch Acid Armor? Then again, you know a lot more about that method than me. Either way, if I had to find a Spinda's PID from its spots…I'd need to manip the RNG routine that generated my eyes. :P

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-04-01 07:28:14

So apparently you don't need particular glitch Pokémon or moves anymore, but still quite a long-winded process to write to the PID and obtain a hacked shiny. It's up to you.

@Quirky Flower Chicken, wouldn't the Spinda need to Sketch Acid Armor? Then again, you know a lot more about that method than me. Either way, if I had to find a Spinda's PID from its spots…I'd need to manip the RNG routine that generated my eyes. :P

I was thinking possibly you could do a double corruption or more on the Spinda; as such:

0. Modifications are applied to Spinda
1. It becomes an Egg
(… possibly includes multiple sub-steps here)
2(+?). It is corrupted again and becomes a Smeargle corruption type 7 or 4.

However, its just an hypothesis and I'm afraid I don't know, sorry.

I guess because the RNG Reporter method works, it's a case of "if it isn't broke (you don't need to) fix it". However, if the Spinda method works, it seems like a wonderful idea for people who don't want to practise RNG abuse. Here is a neat little tool for determining a Spinda's PID from its spots.

But ah… yes I get the impression it can be hard for the eyes and could be a tedious process. :(

Also bad joke: a leopard Spinda never changes its spots however; I disagree! - Colress (on a serious note: some people's innate character can actually change; mine has largely, like I'm into beauty and talk loads now. It just takes an awful lot of practice (perhaps with a correlation for older people), then for me at least you realise you discovered the true you).

Date: 2019-04-02 00:36:33
More steps, pixel ruler-like precision, and assuming the one needed for the hypothetical variant of the glitch has four visible spots…I'd stick with whatever isn't that. Also, the PID can be determined more easily by leveling it up to 100 (easy in Emerald), knowing the EVs (probably all 0), and taking the IVs in combination with the nature.

(I didn't know about the Colress quote! I honestly don't think any differently than I did maybe…8 years ago, but maybe have changed the way I go about expressing it.)