Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Save Dumping Pokemon Emerald - Page 1

Save Dumping Pokemon Emerald

Posted by: Reclaimer Shawn
Date: 2019-04-01 02:34:49
So, I have a soft-modded Wii, a Gameboy SP, an English copy of Pokemon Emerald, and a GC to GBA link-cable. Is there any way I could go about dumping my Pokemon Emerald save, modding it on the computer end with PKHex, then importing it back to the GBA?

I also saw that payloads could be sent to a GBA game via this thread right here https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7861.0 , but I didn't want to necro the threa.

Re: Save Dumping Pokemon Emerald

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-04-01 02:56:57
Looks like it. :)

It's nothing to do with what Wack0 discovered, but now that you mention it I may sticky that for notability and unsticky something else.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-04-01 03:01:00
The homebrew dumps ROMs, but the process should be similar to dump a ROM.
Injecting a save file is even easier than dumping it, too, so it's definitely doable - just that you need the homebrew to get made.

Date: 2019-04-01 03:05:59

Injecting a save file is even easier than dumping it, too, so it's definitely doable - just that you need the homebrew to get made.
Actually, the Github description page says the same tool dumps saves and the RNG subreddit says they can be sent back.

Date: 2019-04-01 08:15:41

Looks like it. :)

It's nothing to do with what Wack0 discovered, but now that you mention it I may sticky that for notability and unsticky something else.

Thanks, I'll end up using that and seeing what I can get out of it.

Date: 2019-04-13 12:30:30

Actually, the Github description page says the same tool dumps saves and the RNG subreddit says they can be sent back.

So I just got around to trying the program and unfortunately the save features don't appear to be working for me. Backing up the save appears to write a 128KB file (Emerald Save file size), but the file is just a bunch of repeating garbage data. Restoring the backup save, or even a valid save, results in the save being cleared. Perhaps it has to do with the model of Gameboy Advance I'm on (SP AGS-101).

EDIT: I left this (https://github.com/FIX94/gba-link-cable-dumper/issues/16) on his Github.

Date: 2019-04-13 14:12:50
That's not good. I looked at the save file you posted and yeah, it's completely useless. Hope you get a response on Github. Whether you do or not, I can still vouch for GBA Backup Tool if you have an original DS or DS lite.