Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Battle Pike poison knockout glitch - Page 1

Battle Pike poison knockout glitch

Posted by: greentyphlosion
Date: 2019-04-27 10:03:37
I don't currently have my Emerald cartridge on me to replicate this, but I experienced an interesting glitch in Emerald some time ago and thought it might be worth posting about.

I was doing a Battle Pike challenge with a team of Sceptile, Seadra and a third team member I can't remember (I think it may have been Weezing, but it's not important). The third team member had fainted and both Sceptile and Seadra were poisoned. I was due to choose a room, and the maid who provides hints told me that she had "heard whispering" room on the left, indicating that it would either contain a double battle or a non-battling NPC. I chose to go to this room, but before I could enter it my Sceptile fainted from poison damage.

Now came the interesting part. The room contained a double battle. But the battle proceeded as normal - I sent out two Seadra. Confused by this, I opened the team menu and the pokemon icons were scattered all over the screen, so I opened my Seadra's profile. It looked all wrong - the colours of the display were different, the sprite was a solid black silhouette of Seadra that gave a cry several pitches lower than usual, and it had "no special ability" listed as the ability. Unfortunately that's all I can report, as the game then crashed.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? And if anyone feels like making a video, please go ahead - I'd be really interested to see it.

Re: Battle Pike poison knockout glitch

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-04-28 15:27:02
That sounds a lot like sending out an Egg through the Pomeg glitch! Very nice find. I would not have thought to try sending out a fainted Pokémon this way.

If you have the save file on you, I could make a video. Otherwise I could set it up myself.

Date: 2019-04-28 16:55:26
This was done on cartridge, but I don't have it on me and it was quite some time ago, sorry.

Posted by: Matt1990
Date: 2019-04-30 11:21:10
My my, I've tested it and It's working! Be sure to have two fainted Pokémons before entering a double battle in that mode! When you view its info it has no moves, all its stats are 0 and will freeze the game after one second you see them. Uploading the vid in about an hour!

EDIT: aaaaand the vid's up!

Date: 2019-04-30 13:36:58
Splendid work, thanks!

Curious result. I wonder if there's any variation to the glitch or if I'm simply misremembering it - I recall my team menu being much more messed up than yours was. How strange that it showed two Swellow and not two Weezing. If you (or anyone else) performs it again it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Date: 2019-04-30 13:44:59

Splendid work, thanks!

Curious result. I wonder if there's any variation to the glitch or if I'm simply misremembering it - I recall my team menu being much more messed up than yours was. How strange that it showed two Swellow and not two Weezing. If you (or anyone else) performs it again it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Perhaps the game will keep in mind the "second slot" of the party, in your description you claimed that Seadra was on the 2nd slot and it was the only one alive in your team whereas when I interpreted the glitch Weezing (3rd Mon) was the only one alive. Gonna try getting as much close as what you did to see what could happen differently!

Date: 2019-04-30 14:13:32
I mean, I assume it was - as I say, the details are a bit fuzzy. But yeah, hopefully multiple different attempts will yield a variety of results!

Date: 2019-04-30 14:23:07

I mean, I assume it was - as I say, the details are a bit fuzzy. But yeah, hopefully multiple different attempts will yield a variety of results!

Okay, this time I tried to make it as close as what you did
[img]https://puu.sh/Dm4x2/0c66a19fee.png[/img]
But when I went to double battle some trainers [img]https://puu.sh/Dm4yG/9dfd1d795c.png[/img] it sent out my third fainted Pokémon (Swellow in this case) and the party menu didn't look any different compared to the first result I obtained [img]https://puu.sh/Dm4BU/3ff55679c7.png[/img]

Date: 2019-04-30 15:29:41
Huh, even more intriguing! I've sent out fainted Pokemon before (via various other glitches) and the results have been highly variable. Sometimes the battle ends, sometimes they're able to battle. Strange. I suppose that's a result of the game cycling through the team in order, correctly ignoring Sceptile (edit: duh, Sceptile), sending out Weezing, and then resorting to using Swellow because it has no other option.

I suppose the reason that duplicates the third team member (if, as in your first example, the third team member is the only one capable of battling) because it first sends out the third member and then is forced to create a fourth team slot. Presumably when I did it my Seadra was in position 3 after all.

Date: 2019-04-30 19:51:29
Great job, Matt1990, and welcome! :D It seems like there is still some testing to be done here.

Date: 2019-04-30 20:24:56

Great job, Matt1990, and welcome! :D It seems like there is still some testing to be done here.

Thanks! I've been following this forum for quite a while (make it around 10 years, if not more) but since I got interested in Pokéglitches again I thought it would've been better if I joined and tested out some stuff just in case! Hope you won't mind

This one was one of the few that actually needed confirmations, so I thought it would be a great chance to slide in!

Date: 2019-05-01 12:18:27
Better late than never! There's always quite a lot to help with, but jumping in here is a great start.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-05-03 22:32:19

My my, I've tested it and It's working! Be sure to have two fainted Pokémons before entering a double battle in that mode! When you view its info it has no moves, all its stats are 0 and will freeze the game after one second you see them. Uploading the vid in about an hour!

Great work!! ^^ Fascinating we have a new non-Pomeg induced glitch :D ❤

Like Sherkel said this is like the Pomeg glitch when you have all fainted Pokémon. I wonder whether there are special conditions for which one you sent out just like Pomeg glitch. Like for instance, if you have an all fainted party without prior conditions you would only send out say one of your own fainted Pokémon itself (or sometimes an Egg's content if the Egg was in your party); but with Pomeg data corruption glitch sending out the last Pokémon in your party into battle, then depositing it, just before making all your party faint is what causes the "??????????" to send out for whichever reason. I believe somebody may have documented exactly why but unsure.. In both your cases opening the party seems to allow you to view a corrupted party and view a ??????????.

Do we know what happens if you view a fainted Pokémon in that corrupted party but instead of scrolling up from the summaries cancel out and then scroll up?

From an old post of mine modified about the original access beyond slot 6 methods (note: because of the nature of the Battle Pike glitch seeming different and about double battles not single battles you may have to change these methods in certain ways (e.g. scroll up a little more/less) and the party numbers in brackets may not be accurate):

(method 1): View the summary of a normal Pokémon [then back out the summary on to the party list] and go up, the cursor will go to 00 (current Decamark). Scroll up from there and you'll get to Cancel (07) but then scroll up again and you get to FF, and from there you can scroll to FE and lower values by going up.

(method 2): View the summary of a normal Pokémon [then back out the summary on to the party list] and go down. This will take you take a half-lit Cancel button (06). If you go up, it leads you to FF and from there you can scroll to FE and lower values by going up. If you go down, it takes you to the normal Cancel (07). If you go up from there, you get to FF and from there FE, etc. by going up If you go down after the aforementioned 07, you get back to your current Decamark (00) again. 

Date: 2019-05-04 09:38:59

Great work!! ^^ Fascinating we have a new non-Pomeg induced glitch :D ❤

Like Sherkel said this is like the Pomeg glitch when you have all fainted Pokémon. I wonder whether there are special conditions for which one you sent out just like Pomeg glitch. Like for instance, if you have an all fainted party without prior conditions you would only send out say one of your own fainted Pokémon itself (or sometimes an Egg's content if the Egg was in your party); but with Pomeg data corruption glitch sending out the last Pokémon in your party into battle, then depositing it, just before making all your party faint is what causes the "??????????" to send out for whichever reason. I believe somebody may have documented exactly why but unsure.. In both your cases opening the party seems to allow you to view a corrupted party and view a ??????????.

Do we know what happens if you view a fainted Pokémon in that corrupted party but instead of scrolling up from the summaries cancel out and then scroll up?

From an old post of mine modified about the original access beyond slot 6 methods (note: because of the nature of the Battle Pike glitch seeming different and about double battles not single battles you may have to change these methods in certain ways (e.g. scroll up a little more/less) and the party numbers in brackets may not be accurate):

(method 1): View the summary of a normal Pokémon [then back out the summary on to the party list] and go up, the cursor will go to 00 (current Decamark). Scroll up from there and you'll get to Cancel (07) but then scroll up again and you get to FF, and from there you can scroll to FE and lower values by going up.

(method 2): View the summary of a normal Pokémon [then back out the summary on to the party list] and go down. This will take you take a half-lit Cancel button (06). If you go up, it leads you to FF and from there you can scroll to FE and lower values by going up. If you go down, it takes you to the normal Cancel (07). If you go up from there, you get to FF and from there FE, etc. by going up If you go down after the aforementioned 07, you get back to your current Decamark (00) again. 

Actually scrolling up (and down, although it does nothing it was still worth a shot) to access Mons beyond the 6th slots were the first things I tried but apparently it didn't do much, probably because the behaviour in double battles is entirely different compared to singles