Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Cartridge Tilting? - Page 1

Cartridge Tilting?

Posted by: crobatfan11
Date: 2019-06-25 11:51:44
Has there ever been any documentation on what cartridge tilting can do in gen 3 games? I'm trying to figure out an oddity I remembered from years back, said oddity involved one of my regular wild encounters being replaced by a Shiny Bad EGG (The text for the encounter said "A wild Slugma appeared!", so presumably this should have been a normal encounter.) A few minutes later the game crashed with a screen resembling what punching the screen would do to it while powered on black and white colorations resembling a cracked screen, colors were flickering (No damage to the cart, save or console occured). No sorts of cheats were in effect, just playing on a normal Emerald cartridge. Nothing like it ever happened since.

Re: Cartridge Tilting?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-25 12:36:34

Has there ever been any documentation on what cartridge tilting can do in gen 3 games? I'm trying to figure out an oddity I remembered from years back, said oddity involved one of my regular wild encounters being replaced by a Shiny Bad EGG (The text for the encounter said "A wild Slugma appeared!", so presumably this should have been a normal encounter.) A few minutes later the game crashed with a screen resembling what punching the screen would do to it while powered on black and white colorations resembling a cracked screen, colors were flickering (No damage to the cart, save or console occured). No sorts of cheats were in effect, just playing on a normal Emerald cartridge. Nothing like it ever happened since.

Oooh wow! :O  That sounds amazing. I don't know if there has been any documentation, sorry. I was only aware of the typical freeze sound and halt.

Thanks for sharing. ^^

I want to commit a day grinding at this. Maybe it could occur often enough to be viable. In relation to potential uses: I guess it's a reasonable way to acquire Pokérus if you can keep the Bad Egg. Maybe as well, because storage box data takes up loads of the RAM you could corrupt stored Pokémon in the box? I guess it depends on whether the game lets you save; hence (on an assumption that could be wrong) keeping the corrupted data, and also not returning a save error message/bad save message after reset.

Cart tilting then could explain the Bad Egg someone found in FireRed, apparently without cheats according to their report. 

https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8320.0
https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8459.0

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-06-25 19:23:43
A suggestion: cartridge tilt, and then dump the ROM. Make a patch for the original from it, and then rinse ([size=7pt]literally, anyone?[/size]) and repeat until you have a small collection of those patches. It doesn't particularly interest me what happens what happens when the game isn't read properly due to human error, but this might be a way to see a pattern of what the hardware reads when there are certain things it doesn't.

Posted by: Matt1990
Date: 2019-06-26 04:36:06
I tried a bit and 90% of the tries I did led to a crash (I can't seem to achieve "stable" results), however:

https://puu.sh/DKY8n/f6f8f8cf32.jpg (big picture, watch out)

I also did it when Regirock was getting in and it basically shown the field still going with Regirock standing still in the middle of the screen, but I didn't take a picture of that. If I get further I'll post it here.

Posted by: crobatfan11
Date: 2019-06-26 09:58:25

Oooh wow! :O  That sounds amazing. I don't know if there has been any documentation, sorry. I was only aware of the typical freeze sound and halt.

Thanks for sharing. ^^

I want to commit a day grinding at this. Maybe it could occur often enough to be viable. In relation to potential uses: I guess it's a reasonable way to acquire Pokérus if you can keep the Bad Egg. Maybe as well, because storage box data takes up loads of the RAM you could corrupt stored Pokémon in the box? I guess it depends on whether the game lets you save; hence (on an assumption that could be wrong) keeping the corrupted data, and also not returning a save error message/bad save message after reset.

Cart tilting then could explain the Bad Egg someone found in FireRed, apparently without cheats according to their report. 

I wasn't aware there were even other cases of this occuring that were actually documented. Poor contact caused by dirt is another thing that also could have happened. (That would explain that one person who had a whole ton of things replaced by Bad EGGs better than a cartridge tilt) The only other thing I can remember about when that appeared is I was attempting that fake Navel Rock trick that Munching Orange posted back in the day (I think I was like 8 at the time, and was desprate to get Ho-Oh for my Pokedex as it was the last one legitimately obtainable and I never owned Colosseum plz don't judge xD)

I don't remember much else about what I was doing prior to that. Sorry.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-26 12:41:57

Thanks for sharing. ^^

I wasn't aware there were even other cases of this occuring that were actually documented. Poor contact caused by dirt is another thing that also could have happened. (That would explain that one person who had a whole ton of things replaced by Bad EGGs better than a cartridge tilt) The only other thing I can remember about when that appeared is I was attempting that fake Navel Rock trick that Munching Orange posted back in the day (I think I was like 8 at the time, and was desprate to get Ho-Oh for my Pokedex as it was the last one legitimately obtainable and I never owned Colosseum plz don't judge xD)

I don't remember much else about what I was doing prior to that. Sorry.

That's OK!  :) I won't judge. I feel I remember being similarly optimistic about that trick to get Jirachi in Generation III regarding the Mossdeep space shuttle launches. It's natural; especially when we are young - as we are blank slates.

Great it was news, however, it was a theory sorry for communication unclarity.