Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Emerald Safari Zone No Moves Quirk - Page 1

Emerald Safari Zone No Moves Quirk

Posted by: crobatfan11
Date: 2019-06-27 14:27:21
It seems if you encounter a Pokemon that has no moves in the Safari Zone in Emerald (Haven't tested any other Gen 3 games) instead of either watching you or fleeing, they instead will use Struggle despite it being a Safari Zone encounter. This results in the normal recoil damage, and a message saying the Pokemon that is leading the party has fainted with their cry playing. If they faint due to their recoil damage, you stay in the encounter with the Pokemon, throwing a Safari Ball results in the ball disappearing once it hits the wild Pokemon, all instances I've tried caught the Pokemon, however that could also be due to the amount of times I chose to go near the encountered Pokemon. Choosing to Go Near after the Pokemon has already fainted results in no message from the encountered Pokemon and gives you another turn as normal.

I was testing across multiple different Decamarks in the Safari Zone, the one I found easiest for testing this on was 0x0252. Don't know anything about what happens if you throw a Pokeblock as the save I was using doesn't have any berries on it. Other Decamarks that had moves behaved normally as Safari Zone encounters.

Re: Emerald Safari Zone No Moves Quirk

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-28 11:16:38

It seems if you encounter a Pokemon that has no moves in the Safari Zone in Emerald (Haven't tested any other Gen 3 games) instead of either watching you or fleeing, they instead will use Struggle despite it being a Safari Zone encounter. This results in the normal recoil damage, and a message saying the Pokemon that is leading the party has fainted with their cry playing. If they faint due to their recoil damage, you stay in the encounter with the Pokemon, throwing a Safari Ball results in the ball disappearing once it hits the wild Pokemon, all instances I've tried caught the Pokemon, however that could also be due to the amount of times I chose to go near the encountered Pokemon. Choosing to Go Near after the Pokemon has already fainted results in no message from the encountered Pokemon and gives you another turn as normal.

I was testing across multiple different Decamarks in the Safari Zone, the one I found easiest for testing this on was 0x0252. Don't know anything about what happens if you throw a Pokeblock as the save I was using doesn't have any berries on it. Other Decamarks that had moves behaved normally as Safari Zone encounters.

Fascinating! Thanks crobat :)

Date: 2019-06-29 05:03:10
I don't think Pokeblocks changed much sadly, though while testing them, this happened on one of those attempts. Half the HP bar casually going up to join the Pokeball. I couldn't recreate it though.

Date: 2019-06-29 07:46:55
Do you think it may be possible repeatedly choosing Go Near could eventually have an effect like Pokeblocks?

Date: 2019-06-29 08:07:43
The glitched Safari Balls meter effect? I'm not entirely sure. I don't really know the games well enough to track whats going on behind the scenes. It might be possible, since not all instances of Pokeblocks cause that effect. I did recreate the effect after, it worked with all Pokeblocks I had in my inventory at the time, and the message that appeared (saying the decamark was curious) was the same one I got on the previous attempt where it didn't work (I was save stating and trying all types of Pokeblocks I had per encounter). Its possible the individual Pokemon itself matters for that glitched Safari Ball meter effect.

Date: 2019-06-29 15:12:32

The glitched Safari Balls meter effect? I'm not entirely sure. I don't really know the games well enough to track whats going on behind the scenes. It might be possible, since not all instances of Pokeblocks cause that effect. I did recreate the effect after, it worked with all Pokeblocks I had in my inventory at the time, and the message that appeared (saying the decamark was curious) was the same one I got on the previous attempt where it didn't work (I was save stating and trying all types of Pokeblocks I had per encounter). Its possible the individual Pokemon itself matters for that glitched Safari Ball meter effect.

I see, Will analyse soon.

Date: 2019-06-29 18:01:08
Cool, I look forward to seeing it.

EDIT: Turns out, this also works in Fire Red and Leaf Green. Because of Bait, I was finally able to test what happens if the Pokemon breaks out after it faints. The game softlocks.