Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Does putting the Pokemon hatched from the 0x611 Egg in the Daycare affect ACE? - Page 1

Does putting the Pokemon hatched from the 0x611 Egg in the Daycare affect ACE?

Posted by: moldysheep
Date: 2020-06-26 18:15:04
Hello,

The Pokemon that is generated from hatching the 0x611 Egg, does it affect the execution of the box name code while it is in the Daycare?

I put it in the Daycare, since at the time I didn't know how else to get rid of it, and after that I'm unable to warp again. I've not changed anything else significant, I've tried emptying all boxes, verified that box names were correct, I'm using a BT clone of the first Egg (which was successful for Mew), and each attempt results in Red Decamark (with the glitchy sprite animation) softlocking my game.

I've checked around and tried most other troubleshooting I could with this method, and the Daycare is the only thing that I can think of that might be stopping a successful warp. I would try again without the 0x611 Pokemon in the Daycare, but I'm unable to withdraw it as it softlocks my game each time. Does anybody know about this?

Re: Does putting the Pokemon hatched from the 0x611 Egg in the Daycare affect ACE?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-07-14 11:48:57
In theory when it comes to the actual execution, this depends on the pointer. If the pointer can touch Day Care data after DMA then yes depositing a Pokémon in Day Care can influence whether it works. However, in your case (assuming you're using EN Emerald) it seems like 0x611 may be safe; as it starts at Box 12 Slot 3 and if I remember rightly Day Care is before box 1 in Emerald's memory.

A pointer in this case is the location in memory/RAM that the glitch Pokémon (or any ACE) runs; basically a temporary variable be it box data, items data, and so on. Unlike Generations I/II, Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen use DMA on lots of memory areas (there is another name for the term but forgot it), which means the actual addresses the game runs as code can vary from one of 64 surrounding areas, but for 0x611 the game probably won't touch Day Care data(?)

Re: Does putting the Pokemon hatched from the 0x611 Egg in the Daycare affect ACE?

Posted by: CasualPokePlayer
Date: 2020-07-14 19:17:38
The other term for DMA is ASLR, aka Address space layout randomization (for reference, this exact technique is used in all generations after gen 3 too).

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-07-15 04:27:46

The other term for DMA is ASLR, aka Address space layout randomization (for reference, this exact technique is used in all generations after gen 3 too).

Ah, thanks! ^^

Posted by: moldysheep
Date: 2020-08-02 14:21:21
Thank you guys for the direction. After reading your posts, I decided to backtrack further and start over with a new 0x0611 Egg. I wasn't able to get the ACE to work immediately upon hatching, I was getting the same softlocking as before. However, upon corrupting the game again during the process, I stumbled across an invisible Bad EGG hanging out in Box 1.

Decided to get rid of this Bad EGG, and searched the rest of my boxes to see if there were any more lurkers, and there was in one of the later boxes. I got rid of both of the invisible Bad EGGs and attempted again to hatch 0x0611 and warp to Birth Island, this time successfully.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but I figured I'd update you guys. Thanks again for the help.

edit: And thanks Evie for the YouTube guides and merrp for the Box Name codes, incredibly helpful